Bill Bagwell Hell's Belle

"To me, Bill Bagwell is kind of like the Chuck Berry of modern forged fighting bowies. Other guys may play cleaner and faster, but its still a Chuck Berry riff" Joe Mandt
Bagwell's columns in the 80's are what really got me sucked into this whole knife thing. That's a gorgeous piece.

"20 years in front of printing presses and guitar amps... and people wonder why I say 'huh?' alot..."

JT -- formerly known as GibsonFan

The damascus and stag combo is awesome on the HB. Congrats on getting it. I've got a traditional dogbone from Mr. Bagwell with an 11.5 inch devils lace damascus. What I noticed was for such a large blade how fast and well balanced it is and scary sharp.

It is amazing how sharp they are. It just slices through newspaper.
Mr Bagwell said to me that it would take a man's hand off no problem. I don't doubt that at all. The balance is perfect and will be even more perfect as I get older and stronger. Stag just feels so good in the hand. I certainly wouldn't like to face a Bowie and def not a Bagwell Bowie. They are deadly.
I think another Bagwell will be on the tables soon enough for me :). Being a university student doesn't help :( .
I've been thinking about a custom sheath for it but I love the sheath it has. Just perfect. Nothing too fancy, perfectly functional and a beautiful colour.

Hey Pootsy:

How's Bill doing? I haven't spoken to him in a few years (just been out of touch); I ordered a lefty/righty Helle's Belles from him and received them back in '05. These knives are truly indescribable to feel. Considering that I have a background in Keating/Bagwell combatives, I appreciate the customs he made for me even more.

Also, how long was the wait for this?

I've had it on my mind to order a damascus from him, since speaking to Mike Sastre back in '06. I think your post (and those pics) has convinced me its time to call him up again. :)

Rolando---

If memory serves me right it was a year or so. Certainly worth the wait and I'd say I#ll order another one if I don't buy a guitar. Hope the pics were ok for it. Would anyone like to see some in hand shots to really show off the size etc??? :D

I'll try to get that sorted. It's just such a knife. I've began to really appreciate it now so much more. It is just such a delight to hold and do little cutting drills with. There is no knife, no Bowie knife, like a Bagwell Bowie :D :D :D :D

I've been drilling with my live blades of late. Doing all sorts of drills with my bowies and my smaller knives for earth-grip stuff. I'm actually playing a lot more with earth-grip nowadays.

I was drilling with my busses, my randall, my RATs, Bucks, Cold Steels, my Ontario Hell's belles, etc. Like most forum members, I have a substantial collection.

Then I drill with my go-to blades: my custom Hell's Belles. There's just no comparison. It's the only blade I have that really has its own feel, and practically "thinks" for me, during the drills.

There really is nothing like it.

I have been doin the same quite a bit. I've one knife that just feels actually really good in my hands and that's my Laredo bowie. Though it needs to have the handle sanded and made more octagonal and then it will be a great Bowie but then I might throw the balance off a little.
The Bagwells are special even though I have only one it is exceptional.

DSC00591.jpg

That's the other side of the blade I thought you all might like to see :)

Last edited:
Here's a shot of the knife in hand for those that wanna see how big this knife really is. I by no means have tiny forearms. They're not massive but they are pretty strong :p and this knife makes them look tiny. :p

DSC00602.jpg

that knife is a quite bit bigger than my 10 1/2" HB! Bill should be starting my damascus HB at the beginning of next month.

i asked for a bigger blade initially in the 12" range just for the "wow" factor but i think 11" will match my crossada and mandritta fighters pretty nicely.

thanks for the pics:cool:
pictures011.jpg

It is pretty perfect for me weight and balance wise. Bill hit the nail on the head with me. I'm not the strongest person in the world but my arms are pretty strong and this knife can go with some super speed.
Helps doing some plumbing from when you were 12 with your brother and throwing darts with my dad has helped my grip a right bit. Oh aye and all the fencing and iaido too :p

Bagwells are unique; no doubt. When you feel them you have so much respect for them cos you know if this knife hit you, likelihood is your getting up again. Plus they look the part. Who cares if they are not all fancy fancy. It's a knife and my word what a knife to have tucked in your belt. The best Bowie is a Bagwell Bowie. And amen to that :D

With all these fighters of Bagwell around,return me the sleepless nights-
Stop youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
Compliments, I am the top of the fighters!

Back