Birch Bark

I've seen pictures of Puukkos with stacked birchbark handles. I really want to make one, but I have no source for birchbark. The only birch trees around here (that I've seen, anyway) are part of landscaping. Before I resort to sneaking around businesses and homes at night stripping the bark off of peoples birch trees, I figured I'd ask if anyone might have an idea of where I might get some...

Oh I did find one website that sells birchbark canoes, and they sell it, but it's pretty expensive, and is in big sheets for canoes.

--Matt

the last bits that i managed to find was froma woodturner .. they strip the bark off before they start turning the wood down ..
but i am lead to believe that its not used for turning all that often... so i am not too sure if that would be a likely avenue.

but if you found a site that makes the canoes .. why not email them and ask them if they have small bits and pieces that they would sell you?
if they make the canoes themselves i am sure that they have scraps galore .. and it doesnt need much to make a handle.

hope it helps.

D.

Back