1. Week 47 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives 1028A1 Dirk Pinkerton Lancer + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Nov 23 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Esav Benyamin has passed. Please pay your respects here

Birthday money...

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Losing Battle, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Losing Battle

Losing Battle

Jan 18, 2013
    Hi guys... I'm sure there have been quite a few threads based on this premise so I hope you'll indulge another.

Today (the 28th) was my birthday and I received a gift card to an online store where I just happen to have a wish list started for some knives. The GC isn't huge so I'm not going to get a $300 folder for an amazingly low out-of-pocket cost, but I do have it narrowed down to a few options and I'd love to hear what you'd choose (with the understanding that we all have different tastes). So here's the list:

(all prices are after applying the GC)
    Spyderco Sage 3 for $61 shipped
    Benchmade Rift 950 satin plain edge for $104 shipped
    BM Lone Wolf Swale for $15 shipped
    Benchmade 300SN for $104 shipped
    Lionsteel SR1a (orange) for $150 shipped

Right now my collection is folders only and aside from a BM 530-111 they are all EDC use so I'd like to keep with that idea for now.

I also received a $50 GC to my local knife dealer so I'll likely be picking up another from this list soon (but my dollar won't go as far with the local dealer as they charge full retail for all of their knives... I still like to support them so I don't mind paying retail for a knife here and there... I just have to be selective).

Mods: I don't think I broke any rules by posting the prices, but let me know if I did and I'll remove them. This isn't about deal spotting. It's just another factor in my decision.

LB

2. Swoop03

Swoop03

Dec 1, 2012
    Personally I'd go with the sage, none of the other knives really appeal to me. This is for you though, so I say go for the one you want the most.
    Edit: Actually I take that last statement back the BM Lone Wolf Swale looks pretty nice too.

3. Zookie

Zookie

Jan 26, 2012
    All those knives are fairly different from each other in size and style.

I like the Lionsteel the most, but the Sage is probably you're best bet.

4. jkwithawave

jkwithawave ..... Platinum Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I'd go for the 950 Rift if it were the black and charcoal handled one.

5. knife2Agunfight

knife2Agunfight

Jan 11, 2012
    The Sage is a great choice, but I prefer the Sage 2 (with the Titanium handles). There is no difference in quality between the 2 and 3, just different handles. The Rift is also a great choice, and so is the SR1.

6. CrialJLA

CrialJLA

Dec 17, 2008
    get teh benchmade flipper

7. XeroReversion57

XeroReversion57

Sep 15, 2012
    Lionsteel obvobv

8. BladeChick777

BladeChick777

Jun 20, 2011
    I would pick up the Sage 3. It's a beautiful color, is super smooth(smoothest of all of the Sages in my opinion), has a nice strong lock, awesome ergos, very utilitarian blade shape, feels great in the hand, slices really well with the FFG while being able to handle all EDC tasks.

I think it's the best option for an EDC out of those chosen, and it's just a great knife all around. I should have kept mine.

9. Omega Leather Works

Omega Leather Works

Jun 13, 2007
    Flipper
    Lion
    Rift
    Sage
    LW

10. 9blades

9blades

Dec 29, 2012
    I'd go for the rift or the sage.

11. Losing Battle

Losing Battle

Jan 18, 2013
    Yeah, I'm just starting a collection so I'm sampling a lot of different makers/steels/blade shapes/sizes/lock types/scale materials/weights/etc.. There are so many knives I've never seen or handled it's hard to narrow down.

It would definitely be the black and charcoal handle. :)

I'd like to eventually get all of the Sage variations, but the 3 seemed the smoothest and the bolt lock is pretty sweet. You can't beat the looks of the titanium on the S2, though.

I have the same opinion of that knife :)

That's where I started the debate in my head and then I saw what I could get an SR1 for, and the Swale for $15 out-of-pocket… decisions decisions

Thanks all for the feedback. Anyone else want to weigh in?

LB

12. Losing Battle

Losing Battle

Jan 18, 2013
    Maybe I should have posted what's already in my collection. I think any of the ones that I'm considering are good additions. I'd love to buy them all (along with a list of limited editions and blems that kershawguy has for sale), but the budget can't handle it right now.

Anyway, here's what I have so far...

Benchmade 530-111
    Sypderco PM2 (earth brown sprint)
    Kershaw Cryo
    Kershaw Chill
    Kershaw Leek
    CRKT KISS 5500
    CRKT M21-02G
    SOG Mini Aegis Tanto
    SOG Micron II Tanto

LB

13. 9blades

9blades

Dec 29, 2012
    lol I was about to say you should check out kershaw guy he's got good deals on zt200s and 300s.

14. jpadia

jpadia KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 15, 2010
    I have a Swale. While it is a good edc knife, it wouldn't even be a consideration for me if the SR1a were an option. I'd save the Swale for your local dealer if they have them. I like mine alot and it was one of the few knives that I kept after my recent sell-off. I don't have any experience with the others on your list.

15. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I'd go Sage 1 with carbon-fiber. can't beat carbon fiber with anything.

16. knifehunt

knifehunt Banned BANNED

Nov 10, 2012
    Out of the ones you're considering, I would go with the 950 Rift.... it's an awesome knife and carries like a much smaller knife than it is.

17. evanPGH

evanPGH

Dec 24, 2012
    I love the SR1-A but if you're in a flippin' mood that new BM looks pretty killer.

18. Losing Battle

Losing Battle

Jan 18, 2013
    Thanks to all for your thoughts and feedback. I ended up getting the Sage 3 AND the Sage 1 both shipped to me for less than $80 out-of-pocket! I had forgotten about some points that I had on one of my credit cards so I was able to apply them and the GC and bam! Half of my Sage collection is on it's way!

The Rift is definitely next on my list, but I couldn't justify spending the GC on a higher priced copy of the knife. I'll buy it sometime in the near future. Right now I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Sages as well as the Shot Show BM Griptillian. I think I need to stop buying for a couple of months. There's a knife show in my area in April :)

LB

19. Omega Leather Works

Omega Leather Works

Jun 13, 2007
    That's awesome man, I'm totally jealous. :)

I still want a 530... it's driving me crazy. I have a really rare barrage on it's way right now so that should tide me over for a bit. Maybe.

Whatever you do don't go looking at the for sale board on the BM forum. Too many nice knives... cf rifts... etc...