1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Bit of guidance for a Busse novice

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by hexenjager, Jul 8, 2016.

1. lozdesign7

lozdesign7 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2011
    I concur with zmbhntr, SAR6 is a great choice and would not disappoint. However for me personally with the criteria you describe, I think the Basic6 LE would be my first choice and the Swatmandu would be a close second. Basic6 by a hair and only because of the ResC. From a practical sense the ResC just can't be beat. I use my Basic11 every weekend around the yard and can't fault how it performs. It is the best user I own. I just wish I had two more.... or that Jerry would release the B13 in full flat and straight bladed.

Happy Hunting!

Lawrie

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

2. hexenjager

hexenjager Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Thanks duramax. Nice comparison shot. Very illuminating on relative size.

3. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    No problem glad it helps :thumbup:
    A rodent 6 is another you might consider unless your only after INFI steel.

4. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Here's another group pic

[​IMG]

5. darkaether

darkaether

Dec 23, 2006
    I don't have all of these anymore, but I like comparison pics so request away

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. duramax

Nov 29, 2012
    " darkaether "

Nice pics ! Thanks !

And thanks to everyone else who's posted :thumbup:

7. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain

Jun 11, 2012
    The bottom knife is the clear winner here, both in function and style… good luck finding one just like it though ;) :)

8. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    Agreed. I like a larger blade for general use, and some smaller ones for most game chores. I started a thread last year: Decisions, decisions. What knives for Elk camp this year? along that exact idea.

Yes! :D From above mentioned thread:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. hexenjager

hexenjager Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wow. Had to do a few things and when I got back to the thread it was full of great pics. Awesome everyone. Does anyone happen to have a pic showing the sar 6, basic 6 and boss jack together?

10. The Hobbiest

The Hobbiest

Mar 17, 2016
    A six inch knife is a bit large for me personally when it comes to cleaning game but if I was going to suggest one it would be the Axe Hammer. I'm a fan of the TAC handle and it's size makes it a good multi purpose camp/survival blade. For cleaning game (white-tail, hogs, and smaller in my area) I actually prefer a blade between 3.5-4.5 inches. Son of Badger or Ergo Mini-Muk would be my choices personally.

11. Izhmash

Izhmash

Dec 5, 2009
    I'm surprised I haven't seen (may have missed it) the Basic 4 mentioned. Of the Busse lineup, it's one of my favorites for processing game. Not really sure what happened to my photobucket account...have a great pic of mine all bloodied up, but don't have the time to figure out a hosting site at the moment.

For a rat, my go to is the Bog Dog. An insanely impressive field knife with a great point and a little extra length.

I do tend to agree with the above on a 2-knife system. This calls for a Gene Ingram paired with the Basic 8. However, when I know I'm near enough to home to not really worry about any survival issues (most of the time)....either the Basic 4 or the Bog Dog get the rotation. That said, either of these would work well for my needs in much more than simply processing game...but you won't be chopping trees with them.

12. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    These are all smaller than the OP's preferred 6", but what the heck...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. tuica

tuica Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Welcome to the madness. Lots of great advice here, and be sure to check out the Busse Bad Mojo site. Be prepared to drool.

14. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain

Jun 11, 2012
    I would avoid the SAR 6 like the plague personally, between the Boss Jack and Basic 6 I would have to pick the Basic 6. I would have one right now if it wasn't for the enormous choil on it, which leads me to the advantage of the Boss Jack… you can find choilless variants.

15. ACStudios

ACStudios Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    I want to say a fat ash-1. It is my all-around go to camp knife...Of course I always take others too...but my fatty ash is on my side all the time up on the mountain.

16. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006

Do you think it makes for a good hunting knife?

17. Maggot Brain

Maggot Brain

Jun 11, 2012
    Depends entirely on how you roll, for most hunter's I would estimate it would be a poor choice. For somebody that goes gutless method, the very idea of what makes a great hunting knife goes out the window. For me personally, I choose hunting knives more on account of what would serve well as survival/defense tools if I don't plan to gut/skin in the field and quarter/pack out.

18. SpyderPhreak

SpyderPhreak Rocketman for hire Platinum Member

Apr 13, 2004
    That's actually a good point. Requirements will vary wildly for the skinning and gutting method, versus quartering an animal out, or even de-boning in the field.

The animal in question matters too. An Elk and a Pronghorn aren't exactly the same size... ;)

19. ACStudios

ACStudios Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    I dont get any time for hunting (hoping to change that next season) so I was leaning my answer on the whaterver else might happen while hunting side of the question. I do think that the Ash-1 makes a good all-around camp/I am in the woods knife as it can handle most duties, at least it has for me.

20. TheMtnMan

TheMtnMan

Feb 11, 2015
    Can anybody please tell me, Whats the Bottom knife in this Pic? Smaller version of INFIDU ?