"Bite" of a sharp blade

I have noticed that my Cuda EDC (not special edition) seems to get a better "bite" in cutting everyday materials than many of my other sharp blades do. I don't understand all I know about metallurgy, carbides, grinds, etc., but it seems as if some blades start cutting as soon as applied to the material, while others seem to skip across the surface before beginning to cut.Has anyone else ever noticed anything like this? I have noticed that my EDC instantly digs in and starts cutting the string, ribbon, cardboard, etc. it comes up against, without false starts, while some of my other blades seem to need a little encouragement to start cutting (once started, they're demons). Any comments?

My guess is that your EDC has a coarser edge than your other knives. A smooth edge will take more effort to get started through something, then it'll just glide the rest of the way through. A coarse edge cuts sort of like a very fine toothed saw. It will start itself much easier. I prefer smooth edges since I don't often cut really hard materials, and my smooth edges will still cut hard stuff, just not quite as easily as a coarse edge.

probably just has a coarser edge. (everybody let me know if i'm not correct on this, but i think that...) some steels form an edge that is coarse because their crystal structure breaks (on a microscopic level) when it gets too thin at the edge. this causes teeny-tiny micro-serrations, if you wanna call them that. not so great for the rubber band test :D, but can help your edge cut through rope & other funky materials easier.
peace.
aleX.

My stereo microscope (20x), not more expensive than "a knife", tells me anything I want to know and then some....
Happy sharpening:)

I think you guys have together hit upon my answer! First, under magnification, my EDC does have a little less polished edge than some of my others, even though they are all touched up on ceramics. I have not stropped the EDC, but have some of the others. It is fairly obvious, under the glass, that the EDC would "bite" better than some of the polished edges. Also, I think that the recurved blade is also a factor. Just a function of great design.If you don't have a Cuda EDC, you should try to get one. And I'm an old timer who doesn't always impress easily! Anyhow, its good to know that I'm not the only one who notices things such as this. Thanks, all!

An amazing little knife. I for one am praying for a 3.9" model in the future. Now that would be one heck of a knife!

The General is not the only one that wants a bigger EDC! It begs to made into a larger version.:D

I don't know why exactly, but my FI in VG-10 seems to have a better 'bite' than anyother of my stainless blades. I keep it honed to a very smooth convex edge (scary sharp).

I don't know why exactly, but my FI in VG-10 seems to have a better 'bite' than anyother of my stainless blades. I keep it honed to a very smooth convex edge (scary sharp).

:D Yep thats VG-10 for you!:cool:

Originally posted by Alberta Ed
I think a lot more people are becoming aware of the quality that the VG10 is for a knife steel.

Yes. For me, VG-10 is doing for steel what the Axis lock has done for locks. Often, others just don't seem worth my time.

OOhhh! Shmackey's comment got me thinking. A VG-10 Axis lock!! Oh, I want one!

I seem to have noticed a more agressive, "biting" edge on my Calypso Jr. in VG-10 than on any of my other stainless steel blades. I am one of those hopeless reactionaries who prefers carbon steel for most knives, but I have been happier with the performance of VG-10 than I have with any other stainless steel I have tried, and I've tried a few. It seems as if I get an edge that feels more like and cuts more like the edge you get on a good carbon steel blade.

I agree about VG-10. All my Falknivens in VG-10 are superb cutters, it is currently my favorite "stainless" steel. I would love to see a BM 710 in VG-10 and/or a large chopper in that type of steel. I heard a rumor Falkniven is coming out with a large bowie style blade. That would be very interesting.:)

I believe it must be grain structure that makes this difference, and I believe that it is a real phenomenon. When Benchmade first came out with their M-2 blades, I did a lot of comparisons between their M-2 and ATS-34 AFCK. The M-2 blade was much easier to sharpen to a fine, shaving edge, and had a much lower tendency to form a large burr during sharpening. On the other hand, when cutting wood, as in a whittling motion, the ATS-34 blade consistently dug in while the M-2 edge had a tendency to skip over the surface and not bite. The blades were sharpened as identically as I could manage, so it must have been some microscopic characteristic of the edge.

Back