1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bite-sized Borry; a Bevy of Blue

Discussion in 'Fiddleback Forge Knives' started by pertinux, Sep 30, 2017.

1. pertinux

pertinux Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 1, 2012
    :( Never a good feeling....

I'll say! Something for everyone, and always more to explore through times of changing preferences and applications. :thumbsup:

Absolutely! I agree with your observations on the Runt here, across the board. I didn't 'get it' at all, until having one in hand. I mean, its color of course helps(!), but eI thought I'd just be humoring Jerry by taking a look at it. Uhm, no. What a freakin' cool little knife!

Right! I'm still surprised (and kinda disappointed) that the Hiking Buddy doesn't do it for me, but I'm glad I realized that straight up (thanks again, @Nbrackett, for that early borry!). I don't care for the Handyman's visuals quite as much as the Hiking Buddy's, but that's a quibble-- especially once putting a Handyman to use.

Whoa, that'd be something! I still love the looks of Pocket Kepharts, and if I were not determined to maintain a winnowed selection of knives I'd likely jump on one. (And can't rule out that happening, still.) The Sgian Dubh is just so much MORE in my hands...

Possibly so? As I've mentioned before, my two Esquires feel astonishingly different in hand. The 3/32" blue is very, very fine, but it doesn't evoke the Wow reaction that the 1/8" oreo does whenever I pick it up.

[​IMG]

Well.... I'm trying to see how I feel living without it, to determine whether or not I am willing to live without it. :eek:

From the get-go, I have been determined to maintain a manageable, use-able selection of knives. I think my initial goal was three total Fiddlebacks, little, medium, larger? That stretched to five, which stretched to... more'n that. [​IMG]

Here are my smaller fixed blades, sans the Sgian Dubh which was already hieing itself ho to Jerry, hitchhiking with his returnees so he can conduct his own wee compare:

[​IMG]
    Esquire, Esquire, Stubby Muk, Runt, Pocket Muk (@freemanforge)

Sgian Dubh & Stubby Muk:
    [​IMG]

Stubby Muk and Pocket Muk:
    [​IMG]

I'm very taken by the wee Pocket Muk, and especially like its more pronounced point:
    [​IMG]

... I love the Stubby Muk (and its oreo duds!), but it's proving to be a tweener-- bigger than can be as readily pocketed as some of the other choices, yet without the versatility of blades slightly larger. I pick up the Stubby Muk and handle it and want it to stay Forever; I move through my weeks and, day after day, discover it's not the knife that gets the nod.

~ P.

Dritios, Wurrwulf and Nbrackett like this.
  2. FeralGentleman

FeralGentleman Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Did you give them water?

Did you feed them after midnight?

Kirkwood, Wurrwulf and Scotcha like this.
  3. Kirkwood

Kirkwood Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Never heard of it...

[​IMG]

:D ... assuming that's what you're referring to.

Sadly, I think we will keep running passed each other. ;) I'm all set on the 24/7.

While intrigue basically means the deal is as good as done (once the right one comes along), here's a comparison pic with my newish Esquire and Jerry's soon to ship Sgian Dubh to help you out.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the 24/7 handle is actually a tad shorter than the Esquire handle. No bother though. The handle contours of the 24/7 make it comfortable to use in multiple grips (despite the shorter length). While the 24/7 handle is shorter, the blade is actually a little bit longer, which can be nice. A nice touch about Dylan's G10 handles is he sandblasts them so they are a little more grippy (although I honestly don't get too fussed about G10 feeling “slippy” anyway). This 24/7 is 3/32" CPM154. If you're lucky enough to have a chance to grab that config, jump on it fast!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  4. pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    Oh my, yes. Look at you! :cool:

Going by this picture alone, this might be one time I prefer black over natural pins, and possibly the white accents most of all-- wowzah!

Well, whaddaya know! Also: :p

Thanks, this really helps! Even still, my first thought was, whoa, the 24/7 is a lot bigger than I realized-- until the scale you've presented through the accompanying smaller knives fully registered.

Yes, "intrigue" has a way of seamlessly segueing into has-ing, but I'm not yet sure of the knife's presentation for me. I'm mostly curious about the handle, how the contours work in hand.

Which you cover as well!

That would be my hunch from afar, so I'm glad to hear it's working out that way for you in realtime.

Welp, I'm currently fighting a sudden battle against More (it's winnow time, if with a peeking eyes towards future More). At the same time, this ~ 5-6"-ish range is a sweet spot for me, and I enjoy new discoveries of what 'works.'

I'm not sure I want to cross into something as tactical looking (relative to my other knives, at least), but the right clothes could sway a person. o_O

Thanks much for the great pictures and insights. :thumbsup:

~ P.

5. Warrior108

Warrior108 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Crappycakes, now I DEFINITELY need a 24/7! I had picked up an Esteban II last year which turned out to be a larger version of the (original) Esteban. It felt larger than what I wanted and since then I've been looking for good 24/7 comparison pics and this by far is the best one yet. Thank you for sharing this! The 24/7 contours seem very similar to the Esteban II but in a smaller package. That Esteban II was super comfy and felt outstanding in-hand and I liked that thumb ramp, which is also present on the 24/7. As you said, comfy in a variety of grips.

@pertinux Heads-up on Fletcher's if you haven't researched them .. They usually come with a kydex sheath, made by Dylan. The sheaths are great quality and nicely done but like most kydex sheaths tend to do, they'll put marks / snail trails on the sides of the blade. Sooooo .. if that is something you're particular about, you'll want to place a request with Dylan when his books are open and specify "no sheath" or "do not place in sheath". That is my plan .. and then to pair it with leather. Not the end of the world but thought it was worth mentioning.

6. SA Condor

SA Condor Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2014
    FED972C2-7B7D-4829-945C-3A93040F3447.jpeg ED1A3FF9-74AD-4472-A3F8-CEEFA1824C1B.jpeg

I’ve reunited with my 24/7 here in Bolivia. Mine’s 3/32” tt and Dylan did some file work for me on the spine. It’s my go to knife when I’m out and about at night. I only have the kydex sheath that Dylan made. It’s a really nice sheath, but I really really want a simple leather taco sheath without a clip or loop for the belt. Then it’ll disappear in the pocket.

Dritios, nomotorjrr, Coach23 and 2 others like this.
  7. pertinux

Feb 1, 2012
    Sounds good to me-- so we can see what we think of the pattern. :D

Except, you'd probably go for Red or something gnarly, so... I've put my own dibs in, for a Right blue. That blue grey @Kirkwood just posted would look great on a 24/7, or glacier jade, or Shadetree.

Speaking of which:

Wow, does that look great! Thanks for posting it here.

Hmmm, Kydex:

Thanks! My first thought was, "Ew, Kydex," because I love leather, and a great leather sheath brings everything together for me-- even though, save for a couple exceptions, I still haven't really found what I (think I) have in mind.

However, fresh off watching @Fletcher Knives on @Fiddleback Outpost's Live Video on Friday afternoon, I'm rather taken by the CLICK-fit of Dylan's Kydex sheaths. So if I ever get a chance at a 24/7, I'm now thinking I'll start with Kydex (scratches, smatches-- it's a knife!), and see what kind of leather I might want (or maybe already have) from there.

~ P.