Bk 11 help!!! Can anyone tell me what this is?

StrangeDaze

Gold Member
I bought this bk 11 second hand on an auction site because it had the micarta scales already for a decent price.
When i recieved it it had a fair amount of micro chipping that i sharpened out, no big deal. Obviously it has been modified, it has some unsightly rough grind marks on the handle. Still not really an issue ( unless it messed with the temper.) What might be a big deal is what is pictured. Any idea what this is? I thought maybe it was just rust but i cant seem to scrub it off. Could it be a fracture?
16j2f6g.jpg

33o41eb.jpg

Can you provide a picture of the entire knife? I only ask because counterfeit knives are common on many auction sites. Hopefully this isn't the case, but it almost looks like a void or other discrepancy in the steel.

o711xd.png
it wont let me post the other side for some reason. Ill take another pic of it when i get home.
The price wasnt too good to be true, just a good deal with the micarta. I think i paid $50 for it.

And the other side of the knife?
That stamp is not familiar to me. Only Ka-Bar has done the FFG on the BK-11, so it can only be so old if genuine. They're laser-etching the 1095CV ones these days.

That looks like an inclusion in the middle of that batch of steel. It shouldn't affect performance at all though. Inclusions are a result of gases that fail to escape when the metal is in its molten state, and the metal just hardens around it producing, an inclusion.

That stamp is not familiar to me. Only Ka-Bar has done the FFG on the BK-11, so it can only be so old if genuine. They're laser-etching the 1095CV ones these days.

Like i said i am having trouble uploading the other side and will do so when i get home. It does say bk & t and also ka bar on it.

That looks like an inclusion in the middle of that batch of steel. It shouldn't affect performance at all though. Inclusions are a result of gases that fail to escape when the metal is in its molten state, and the metal just hardens around it producing, an inclusion.

Thank you, thats all i care about really. And thanks for the explanation, thats good information.

It also could be some pitting, but not likely since it is only in the one spot and the rest of the blade isn't affected either.
You can try hitting it with a wire brush if you really want to dig at it, but I wouldn't bother too much.

If it was a collectors piece, I might mind.
If it is a user, I wouldn't let it stop me.

Start with what you feel comfortable with as a test, and build your trust in the knife. Soon it will be a beauty mark.

The stamp looks good.

It also could be some pitting, but not likely since it is only in the one spot and the rest of the blade isn't affected either.
You can try hitting it with a wire brush if you really want to dig at it, but I wouldn't bother too much.

If it was a collectors piece, I might mind.
If it is a user, I wouldn't let it stop me.

Start with what you feel comfortable with as a test, and build your trust in the knife. Soon it will be a beauty mark.
Im fine with it as long as it doesnt affect its functionality. I like the line about a beauty mark. I dont name knives ever but i am going to name this one marillyn now! Haha!

I was thinking Cindy Crawford, but Marilyn Monroe works too.

28sc8c2.jpg

11j22x0.jpg

It might just look like its touching because the coating is still on in the area around the letters and in them.

Maybe a piece of brick or slag that dropped into and was rolled into the steel. Not the type of thing that grows .

Just my two cents about the Maker's mark. It looks like it was a laser marked that got etched before it got stripped. That would be why there is some "bleeding" of the logo.

I'd say use it, but that is just me.

I think this man is onto something. Use it and abuse it.
Since it's carbon steel, as you develop a patina, that's just going to fade right in nicely.

Back