BK-17 straight clip mod

daizee

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Did it.
Do I like the new profile? It is made entirely of awesome.

on the little 1x42, cold-blued the surface. I broke the sharp edges with some 280g.

shiny at the tip and back of the clip - these will converge in the middle
IMG_20120929_120837-small.jpg

like so:
IMG_20120929_121828-small.jpg

IMG_20120929_124923-small.jpg

and a natural background
IMG_20120929_125928-small.jpg

IMG_20120929_130022-small.jpg

-Daizee

Nice work. When I saw the first photo, I didn't care for it too much, but after seeing the second photo, with the wood background I did.

Oh, I'm loving it.

Seriously. Wheres is my BK17 at...........

Moose

Wow Daizee!
I've been flipping back and forth between pics of yours and the stock version.
I must say, I love the look of that straight clip!
Looks better than than the original. Just don't tell Tooj I said that! lol
It looks like a mini 7.
Hat's off to you on this one.

Ok, I take back what I said about the original picture you posted, that is just down right beautiful! Now I wonder if it's worth trying to make a straight clip on my 16..... All the metal is there, TO THE DRAWING BOARD (I doubt it'll get past the drawing board for me).

Really diggin' it. I see one in my (near) future.

Coating removed, curved jimping of the FFG17, fat scales... Oh, yeah.

Putting that 17 to good use I see :) How's the finger healing up?

:D
it's been 8 days. I ground a knife last night, so I figured a little mod this morning should be no problem!

tincansurvival said:
Looks great. Seems to have a more definite pointy end. How "stabby" is it?

it is MORE stabby but a bit stronger. The point is about 0.050" lower, and right where the primary grind and swedge meet. It was a bit high before. One of my usual gripes about concave clips is that the point is too high above the center line. I haven't stuck it in any stumps yet.

oxide said:
Now I wonder if it's worth trying to make a straight clip on my 16.....
This mod would be fantastic on a FFG blade.

K9 Handler said:
Coating removed, curved jimping of the FFG17, fat scales... Oh, yeah.
I was considering hand-sanding off the coating on the bevels and leaving the flats black... but I have too many knives of my own to sand, so that probably won't happen.

Glad you like it, guys.
This turned my #3 tweener into my #1.
I'm totally psyched to have a reliable go-to knife that can really take a beating. Ka-bar grinds these thicker and tempers them tougher (but less hard) than I like to make my own, so it's a really great addition to my battery.

excellent work!!!!!!!!!!! i like it a lot!!!

doesn't do a thing for me.... not that its a bad thing, just don't see any advantage from design...

sorry boys, nice work, but its got no practical advantage other than looks...

Doc

doesn't do a thing for me.... not that its a bad thing, just don't see any advantage from design...
sorry boys, nice work, but its got no practical advantage other than looks...
Doc

I agree about function. Nor do I think the concave clip has any practical advantage. But if two things work the same and one is more attractive without be unnecessarily more complex, then it's better. :)
Of course 'attractive' is subjective.

I agree about function. Nor do I think the concave clip has any practical advantage. But if two things work the same and one is more attractive without be unnecessarily more complex, then it's better. :)
Of course 'attractive' is subjective.

ahhh, now there's the rub.... both are attractive to me.... i like the straight look you forged, but yet, i like that of the original.... and as neither has an advantage over the other, then the change is purely subjective... the only toss into the fray that my point illustrated was that the design was good, and the only benefit was be purely one's preference... had the design been as yours, i would have as equally said that a change to the convex style would have produced the same remarks as I presented...good work, but no advantage...

but then.... its your knife, your tastes, and your efforts that matter in your case....i meant no offense.... just observation.... and to say, the work was well done... but I am usually content with the design of many items, after all... they must have put some thought into it....

Doc

BK7 on Atkins diet :) Pardon my ignorance, is this tweener small enough to piggyback on a BK7 sheath. Great job!

Best
Moin.

I like it - agree that there's no significant advantage to a straight or concave clip, but I like the looks of the straight clip better.
cleaner looking, slightly stronger tip, and tip more in line with the centerline of the handles makes it a worthwhile mod IMHO.

Actually, my 16 is saber ground, I fell to the exclusiveness of it, until SMKW got another 250 of each.... So now grinding it is an option, a very carefully considered option, but still an option.

Back