1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

BK-21 RBK MOD

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by Dexwithers, Dec 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dexwithers

Dexwithers

Mar 27, 2012
    It's Been a while since I posted a new Becker Mod so I thought I'd share one I finished up today.

I do love my RBK and it sure chops like a beast! But there is no denying that it bites hard and that tip wants to keep going once you break though whatever you are chopping. I like the BK-21 Kukri design and look but wanted something a little lighter and easier to handle for cutting small stuff like bamboo and doing wood crafting stuff. Been wanting to mod one for a while but never got around to getting a second until now.

I went ahead and took about 1 3/4 inches off the end. Was gonna go more but wanted to see how this handled first. With the overall curve of this design, it looks like I took a lot more off than I really did and it still has plenty of bite for chopping.

Here' s a pic of the cutting process. I used my Dremel with the Black Reinforced cutting wheels. Kept water on the blade after each pass so it never got hot. And yea, the wheel did catch the groove and take off on the blade leaving a little mark. Not deep and I could sand it out but kinda liked the character it gives this little RBK.

[​IMG]

Here are a few next to the full size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is one with the tips even. It seems like it is a lot shorter than it really is.

[​IMG]

Here is an overlay of the modded one on top of the full size.

[​IMG]

With scales.

[​IMG]

I did crown the spine, love that on large knives, and I parkerized her. Has a great feel and swing to it. I will get some weight measurements and post those up too.

That's all pics I have for now and will try to get some more up tomorrow.

UPDATE:

Took a few comparison pics today. Also did a little cutting with it and man this thing is great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also weighed a few blades for comparison without scales since that can vary depending on what you use.

Scales for comparison too.
    Stock: 2.3 ozs
    [​IMG]

Micarta: 3.7 ozs
    [​IMG]

BK-4: 12.6 ozs
    [​IMG]

BK-9: 14.4 ozs
    [​IMG]

Modded BK-21: 1 lb 0.6 ozs
    [​IMG]

BK-21: 1 lb 3.6 ozs
    [​IMG]

So there is a difference of 3 ozs between my two RBK's. Scales will add a couple ounces, but the balance is what has really changed. The Modded one has plenty of bite but doesn't feel like its gonna fly out of your hand. haha

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  2. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Wow, Dex, I bet this is the first serious 21 mod. You've got some stones, my friend!
    Full field report expected!

3. tobiism

tobiism Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 28, 2013
    I definitely like them more after they're cut down. I did something similar a while ago and thought it felt much more manageable. Looks awesome Dex!

4. Aikiguy

Aikiguy

Aug 28, 2013
    Man, that sure changed the appearance of the 21 despite taking less than 2” off. Love it. Changed it from something I’m not sure I’d use often enough, to something that’d find a place in my weekender pack. Much more manageable size, kind of like a bk4 on steroids. Awesome work Dex!!

5. Bladite

Bladite ǝɹnsıǝן ɟo uɐɯǝןʇuǝb Moderator

Feb 28, 2003
    nice mod

nicer spoke shave :D

6. Xr6x

Xr6x Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 17, 2015
    That's one sweet looken mod, nicely done Dex :thumbsup:

7. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    Very, very cool. I like it a lot. Didn't change the appearance all that much really, just shorter. Excellent mod.

8. BRab

BRab Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Wow I like that a lot. Great job!

9. DerekH

DerekH Handsome According to my Mother Moderator

Nov 18, 2010
    Very nicely done!

10. bush-haus

bush-haus Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Would love to see that next to a 9 for size comparisons! Great job!

Beckerhead #32

11. grinter

grinter

Sep 13, 2012
    ...and next to a 4 as well!
    Nice Mod!

12. tobiism

tobiism Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 28, 2013
    Here's the chopped down version I did two years ago next to a 4. I like dex's version better. I like that he took more off the spine and went further back
    20160314_154921_zpsjwqcypyz.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  13. knoefz

knoefz

Mar 20, 2009
    Wow, nicely done.

14. Dexwithers

Dexwithers

Mar 27, 2012
    Thanks Guys! Glad you all like it. I think this one's gonna get lots of use. Think it will give my Bundok a run for it's money.

Thanks daizee! I will give an update next time I am able to head out to the woods. Been playing with it around here but it's not the same as getting out and clearing trails and stuff. Last time I went out for a week, I switched between Bundok, BK-6, and BK-21 each time I went out. The 21 worked great but the BK-6 and BK-20 were easier to use when I started getting tired. BK-20 is my current favorite large knife.

Thanks man. Yea, that little bit off the end really changes the feel and like you said makes it more manageable. It also doesn't seem to have lost much power. And yea, I saw your mod a while back. I liked it a lot and the baton section was cool too. Think I saw you sold it though?

Thanks! That's kinda what I was going for. I was originally gonna take more off the end to make it more the size of the 4 but wanted to try this first. I can always take more off.

Thanks buddy! Yea, I wanted to keep as much of the original design as possible. Love the look of the 21 but don't need that much weight and power for most of the stuff I do. I may end up taking a little more off the spine eventually but want to try it for a while like this.

15. Dexwithers

Dexwithers

Mar 27, 2012
    Added a few pics to the original post!

16. The Warrior

The Warrior Insane Viking Moderator

Mar 11, 2011
    I didn't care for the weight of the 21 myself. I like my 9 so much, it's just hard for me to get past it, haha.

17. Aikiguy

Aikiguy

Aug 28, 2013
    Thanks for the updated comparison pics Dex. Lovin’ it more and more!

Forgot about your Habilis Mod tobiism. Love it :thumbsup:

tobiism likes this.
  18. trailbum

trailbum Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Really nice work.

19. Roguer

Roguer

Jan 5, 2015
    Nice Skills!

My MODing skills limits the MOding of my Beckers is some Micarta Handles.

20. Tanker 1/66

Tanker 1/66 Gold Member Gold Member

May 18, 2015
    :thumbsup: WOW :thumbsup: