BK-7 Arrives-First Impressions

recondo, Please be sure and let us know how the BK-7 does in field tasks.

As I asked Will about being a working cross between the 225Q and a "ka-bar"
combat knife from what I read here the BK-7 may be valid replacment for the
"ka-bar" combat design. I know a lot of G.I.'s traded them for a 225Q when
they had the chance.

Darn!! I may not wait until spring!

The Becker 7 kicks ass - if I was in the military still I'd definately have one on my LBE.

Will is all over the "Case of the Missing Sheath" - and everyone who's reported one missing is getting taken care of by Mr. Customer Service himself... which takes a big load off for me.

Thanks to Will and Ethan for getting this project done and done well!

Kevin

I received mine yesterday, I can't believe how light it feels for it's size, not going to be a problem carrying this all day. I like the pocket on the sheath, my Swisstool fits in just perfectly, won't need to have two sheaths to carry both. Have not been able to take it out for a walk yet, maybe this weekend. It was very sharp out of the box, easily slicing thin paper. Looks to be pretty sturdy due to the wide bkade.
All in all, very good knife for a very good price!

Not that I am one of those catastrophic thinker types who believes every piece of gear will eventually fail but...

Exactly how much of the BK7 tang is skeletonized?

Can you post a picture of a BK7 without the handle slabs on it so we may see?

Thank you for your time...

-Stan

all of mine got here in the mail today!!! wow
was i ever impressed!!!!!!!:)
the feel is awsome
i like the juxtoposition between the tapers;resulting in the distribution of weight to the proximal disital part of the edge
i cleaned 8 deer and a 1/4 acer of new ground w one and it would still shave and point to true north on a dark night
a good knife
but dont tell ethan
hell get the big head
harley
www.lonesomepineknives.com

Originally posted by stanley_white
Not that I am one of those catastrophic thinker types who believes every piece of gear will eventually fail but...

Exactly how much of the BK7 tang is skeletonized?

Can you post a picture of a BK7 without the handle slabs on it so we may see?

Thank you for your time...

-Stan

Stan - welcome to the forums! If you were to imagine taking the scales off the tang, what you would see are two rounded rectangles in between the screws. They really are not rectangles per se, but closely resemble that shape. Overall, there are no sharp corners in the holes so as to not creat any stress risers, as Ethan Becker pointed out in an earlier post.

Here is a drawing of the BK7 without the handle slabs. Ethan sent this to me when I inquired about the skeletonized tang and the shape of the holes.

A picture is worth a thousand words :)

Dex, Wow!! Thank's for the drawing that Ethan sent to you. I can
just see a Gazillon different ways that different handle materials can be
used to "customize" this knife.

What a bargain of a knife!!! With a little time and even less money I can
have a knife that is TRULY mine!! This knife now moves to the order
board after the holidays!!!!!

Now let me see .......do I want micarta or wood?? So many choices........

Anthony L., are the scales the same size as the rest of the Becker line? All interchangeable?

Nakano

Nakano,
Yup the SCALES are all the same size[they come out of the same mold], but keep in mind, the tang thickness is .188". This means that the knives[C/U7, Magnum Camp, and the patrol machete] out of this blade/tang material feel slightly thinner through the handle than the BK&T's made out of .250" stock. I know its a small amount, but it is fairly significant in the hand.

I hope this helps.....thanks for the interest!

nakano mentioned 'medium sized hands'. refering to hand size is often done in these forums and i always wonder if the people giving their hand size base this on 'standard' sizes based on say, glove sizes, or just on an approximation, thinking that they have 'small', 'medium' or 'large' hands. knowing that people think in standard measurements makes it easier to understand things.

then again, when talking about foot size we can always say 'huge!' coz you know what they say about foot size... :D

How does this knife compare in chopping to the Marine Combat, the Companion and Fisk's Magnum Camp? Anybody?

I got my C/U 7 this past week and I must say that this knife looks like it cost more than what I paid for. I must admit that I have never held a BK&T knife or seen one in person before. I didn't know if I would like the handle or not.....I wasn't to sure from the pictures. But when I opened the box and held it I was amazed how comfortable it was. The handle fits better than a couple of other $150+ fixed blades that I have. Overall, I am really impressed.

Well, I was going to show a shot of it but couldn't get it to work. So Will, I know you have some, show us.

Terrill,
This software will only let me post a pic once, and I have used most of yours already on BF in various sub-forums....

Here is one I took with my new camera this past weekend in the swamp doing field testing.....

I think "Yes!" Fianlly have some time to breathe here and post some impressions....

The blade is a perfect combination of light weight, yet with great presence. The thickness and grind are just right for wicked slicing ability, yet the spine is just wide enough to make it a stout hacker (as Ehtna said), and a strong chopper with a baton. I'd feel very comfortable bashing this with a baton -- no worries. It feels strong and solid as hell.

Yet, the lightness makes it move quickly when doing knife-fighting exercises. It will double just fine as a fighter.

The sheath with kydex liner is great -- it doesn't lock in, which is very appropriate for military uses (imagine yourself on a sentry removal as a soldier, and just when you're about on him, the knife "clicked" out of the kydex liner -- he hears you and shoots you -- no good!), but it locks in hard with the nylon strap. it is an excellent slip sheath.

When I put the knife on my belt, I forgot it was there after a couple minutes -- it rides that lightly and smoothly. The sheath also has a tight to the waist profile to keep it from snagging on things in the bush.

I can't wait to get this puppy out this week and put it through its paces in the woods.

Ethan and Will, you have really outdone yourselves on this one!

Best,

Brian.

PS as far as the wicked slicling ability goes, I can tell you that for sure: I was tired and preparing a pork tenderloin, and decided to use the CU7 to cut the pork. I huriedly cleaned the knife at the kitchen sink using a sponge, and it sliced through and took a chunk of my right thumb...It was so clean a cut, I just pushed the skin flap back over and bandaged it. It cut like a scalpel...

Will,

Thanks for that great picture of the C/U-7. It's my new wallpaper. :)

The picture has very nice composition with the spray of leaves & the line of the knife, plus enough contrast in colors & textures to make each element distinct (i.e. not all muddied together). The very even lighting prevents edges from disappearing into pools of black shadow, which is especially noticable when the blade or handle is black.

Very well done,
Greg

Back