BK16 in full hybrid azwelke sheath, my new EDC :)

azwelke

azwelke.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to share with you my new EDC! I am testing out a new design we are offering and I decided the BK16 was perfect for the job.
It's light weight and I can carry it all day without being bothered by it.
The sheath is made of .093 coyote kydex wrapped in 4-5 oz natural leather. The leather loop on the hybrid drop is much thicker, at 8-9 oz.
I have it pictured with one of my worker bk16's and they are all busy working, so I will have to get another "special BK16" for my EDCing, cause my wife probably won't let me borrow this one from the shop for long!!!

Also, I am testing out the natural leather color to see how it tans naturally by wearing it.
it's usually pretty sunny here!

bk16 leather (2).jpg

bk16 leather (3).jpg

bk16 leather (1).jpg bk16 leather (4).jpg bk16 leather (5).jpg

Thanks for looking,
Al

Awesome. I remember when I got my first Estwing hatchet and it came with a natural leather cover. I rubbed in some Brooks saddle conditioner (used for Brooks bicycle saddles) and left it outside for a week (brought it in at night to protect it from the morning dew). It turned out a deep nutty reddish brown that was and remains really nice.
Done right, leather tanned naturally comes out great!

Thank You all.
Leather is new fairly new to me, so I am still learning :)
I used some super sheen? for finish, and a rubber type edge kote to seal the edges. Adding saddle conditioner will be next;)

This BK16 gets its handles swapped alot for sheath making, so I havent used the middle bolt lately. I guess I’ve been lazy on the middle bolts lol

Thank You all.
Leather is new fairly new to me, so I am still learning :)
I used some super sheen? for finish, and a rubber type edge kote to seal the edges. Adding saddle conditioner will be next;)

That is awesome Al. If I had the first clue about Kydex I'd love to mess around with leather over Kydex.

I use neatsfoot oil (not compound) and TanKote most of the time for finishing leather and like it, I've used neatsfoot then Satin Sheen and liked it also. From what I've read saddle conditioner can be swapped out with no ill effects for the neatsfoot. Most people think neatsfoot stinks, I think it smells like victory (a finished sheath).

I've tried Edge Kote but I think there are better options. I true the edge up with a belt grinder, round the edges off with an edge beveler, sand with 220 then 400 grit, then rub the edge down with saddle soap and water and buff it with a cloth. Usually I dye the edges after that and I hit it with the 400 grit and saddle soap again.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice, I just dig your Kydex work and think the hybrid idea is awesome. There's a guy about 45 minutes from me that does Kydex/leather hybrid gun leather, I keep trying to link up with him but it looks like his shop isn't open very often.

Thank You Grog, I really appreciate that information.
Your work is very impressive, so I value that info.
Thanks again :)
Al

That is awesome Al. If I had the first clue about Kydex I'd love to mess around with leather over Kydex.

I use neatsfoot oil (not compound) and TanKote most of the time for finishing leather and like it, I've used neatsfoot then Satin Sheen and liked it also. From what I've read saddle conditioner can be swapped out with no ill effects for the neatsfoot. Most people think neatsfoot stinks, I think it smells like victory (a finished sheath).

I've tried Edge Kote but I think there are better options. I true the edge up with a belt grinder, round the edges off with an edge beveler, sand with 220 then 400 grit, then rub the edge down with saddle soap and water and buff it with a cloth. Usually I dye the edges after that and I hit it with the 400 grit and saddle soap again.

Sorry for the unsolicited advice, I just dig your Kydex work and think the hybrid idea is awesome. There's a guy about 45 minutes from me that does Kydex/leather hybrid gun leather, I keep trying to link up with him but it looks like his shop isn't open very often.

Hi everyone, my new BK16 arrived yesterday :)
We have a few updated pics.
I had the sheath outside for the last ten days or so and I leather conditioned it every other day and flipped it at that time.
it doesn't look so pale ;)
leather update  (1).jpg

leather update  (2).jpg

that leather looks really good! I usually do neatsfoot/tan kote/ fiebing's saddle to finish it, but this natural tan is nice!

Back