BK2 and BK14 piggybacking

Hey guys,
new beckerhead was born and found this nice and quite informative forum. And so, may I ask, if somebody managed to attach BK14/11 to the backside of the BK2 sheath (original sheats)? Can you eventually post some pics, please? I know, that Warrior did it, but from the photos was not clear, how he did it. Thank you.

Thanks Warrior, I had to be blind, I went through your topic multiple times, but never noticed that. Is your setup different these days, if you still sport BK-2? Did you find it non-practical to have BK14 attached to BK2, since you wrote you "used to have"? I consider your setup the best i have ever seen and it was great source of inspiration for me, despite i do not like drop leg.

I'm tall, so drop leg works better for me. I took it off more for weight reasons. Plus, I missed not having my BK14 around my neck, my preferred carry.

Off to work I go.... stick around man, will talk to you later.

Sure, I can understand that. Iยดm about to recieve 14 for my b-day from my wife. And Iยดm deciding between mounting it to my BK2 and neck carry.

Welcome Thomas....

Thanks for buying my blades.... I do appreciate it!..... I am very glad that you have come to visit and I hope you pull a stool up close to the fire and stick around.... The natives are a bit strange at times but, quite friendly.... Ver simple house rules-be friendly and helpful and when feeling snarky save it for the snark thread.....

Amongst the denizens here there is a mostly correct answer to almost any knife related question sooooo, ask away!!!!

I have always loved the idea of piggybacking a small utility blade on a larger one and used to lust after a Puma set up that had one of their largest blades with a โ€œHunters Palโ€ piggy backed on to it... Eventually I came to the same conclusion that Warrior did.... We used to have a wee BK12 in an internal sheath on the 7 & 9 which worked better than average. On a personal level, I keep a BK 11 around my neck with a 16, 2 or 9 on belt or day pack... An 11 with McIntyre rig coupled with a 16 or 2 and a 9 for the big stuff will cover pretty much all of it from Bushcraft duties to skinning, shelter building and the feeding of the fire.

Again, welcome!...

E

Welcome Thomas....

Thanks for buying my blades.... I do appreciate it!..... I am very glad that you have come to visit and I hope you pull a stool up close to the fire and stick around.... The natives are a bit strange at times but, quite friendly.... Ver simple house rules-be friendly and helpful and when feeling snarky save it for the snark thread.....

Amongst the denizens here there is a mostly correct answer to almost any knife related question sooooo, ask away!!!!

I have always loved the idea of piggybacking a small utility blade on a larger one and used to lust after a Puma set up that had one of their largest blades with a โ€œHunters Palโ€ piggy backed on to it... Eventually I came to the same conclusion that Warrior did.... We used to have a wee BK12 in an internal sheath on the 7 & 9 which worked better than average. On a personal level, I keep a BK 11 around my neck with a 16, 2 or 9 on belt or day pack... An 11 with McIntyre rig coupled with a 16 or 2 and a 9 for the big stuff will cover pretty much all of it from Bushcraft duties to skinning, shelter building and the feeding of the fire.

Again, welcome!...

E
Well I'll be damned. Creator himself is reacting to my first post on this forum. Thank you for your warm welcome to this forum Ethan. I find this forum very informative and as a great source of inspiration. I was following this forum for a long time before signing in and posting and it was also impulse to buy my first Becker knife, BK2. I have more knives, also much more expensive ones, but I was simply stricken and amazed by the quality for the price. It quickly became one of my most favorite blades. And it is not last one. As my bday is approaching and my wife asked me what i wish for present, I answered BK 14 without hesitation. Im truly looking forward to this great little necker. Keep up great work Ethan and thanks again!

BK2 was my first as well. Googled survival knives, and the BK2 kept coming up. Loved the looks of it, and purchased it. I now own 3 of them, haha.

You cannot go wrong with the BK14. It handles many tasks quite well. I have a custom BK11 @Creaky Bones gifted to me, that I use most times I need a "smaller" blade. He made a custom handle on it, that made it longer. An awesome blade indeed:

The Warrior,

Sir, you and your wife are extraordinarily gifted and talented... Your post, https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bk2-sheath-mod-extremely-photo-heavy.845352/ , is amazing... Should you ever decide to go into such rarified heights in business, making such amazing rigs, I'll want to be one of your customers. As survival gear, I've not seen your equal. My "ingredients" would be different in some ways, but over all, your design and approach is spot-on... Thank-You, Sir, for sharing...

exRonin1949

The Warrior,

Sir, you and your wife are extraordinarily gifted and talented... Your post, https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bk2-sheath-mod-extremely-photo-heavy.845352/ , is amazing... Should you ever decide to go into such rarified heights in business, making such amazing rigs, I'll want to be one of your customers. As survival gear, I've not seen your equal. My "ingredients" would be different in some ways, but over all, your design and approach is spot-on... Thank-You, Sir, for sharing...

exRonin1949
Thanks man, appreciate it. The thought has entered my mind on more than one occasion. To be honest, I have a whole list of ideas I came up with, but have never executed any of them. One problem I have, is no workshop. If I had a workshop, I'd be all over it.

Here's a few more mods I've done, iffin you're interested: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...tripped-and-striped-oh-my-photo-heavy.939205/

And: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/mild-bk2-mod.1393307/#post16057350

And just for the hell of it, some renderings I've done: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bk-style-renderings.928070/

My metamorphosis rendering. Just kinda fun: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/becker-bk-evolution-a-metamorphosis.920870/

BK2 was my first as well. Googled survival knives, and the BK2 kept coming up. Loved the looks of it, and purchased it. I now own 3 of them, haha.

You cannot go wrong with the BK14. It handles many tasks quite well. I have a custom BK11 @Creaky Bones gifted to me, that I use most times I need a "smaller" blade. He made a custom handle on it, that made it longer. An awesome blade indeed:

Great work, as always, Warrior. Iยดm about to customize my BK2 little bit. I want to purchase some micarta scales, but I need to order them off of eBay, since no local eshop sells them. First I removed nylon portion of the sheath and installed large tek-lok, then I installed ESEE accessory pouch with cool little survival tin kit. Now I need some cable clamps to attach firesteel. I guess Iยดm gonna leave coating as it is until it will be too scratched. Also, Iยดm from Czech republic and Becker stuff is quite expensive here. BK2 is like 130 - 160 bucks here, BK 14 70 bucks. I was searching foreign e-shops, but Beckers are crazy expensive all over the Europe. Now I regret, that I did not ordered BK2 together with micarta scales off of eBay, because I would have knife AND scales for 130 bucks, not only knife. But in the end, I do not regret that money at all.

There's a lot of ways to piggyback sheaths and I've come to appreciate the ease of doing it with plastic and kydex with some paracord or the link.

Here's a setup I did with a knifemaker's little D2 slicer on my swamp rat with just paracord.
qg8Sx2Al.jpg

And then one I concocted the week for my BK4 and a jarosz globetrotter (probably should be a d'eskabar but I already had the globetrotter from a trade deal a year ago). I Punched holes in the nylon pouch with a SAK and then used copper rivets for leather to fix the kydex into the pouch so the sheath doesn't pull out when drawing the knife.
KkcyLOvl.jpg

Bg6uQQDl.jpg

Basically, I wouldn't get too caught up on making it amazingly fancy right off the bat unless you really want it to be. I figure whatever gets me using things more to enjoy the experience is better than it looking great, though certainly enjoying the looks is good too.

Nice combo with the 4, it looks pretty showing its taped and well used. :D I micartaed my BK for when tis time to clear them trails for deer to get a way from wolves so we can kill and eat them instead. :cool:

Nice combo with the 4, it looks pretty showing its taped and well used. :D I micartaed my BK for when tis time to clear them trails for deer to get a way from wolves so we can kill and eat them instead. :cool:

The BK4 is probably the most useful "one tool" for clearing trails when I think a machete is going to get me into trouble, not sure the DNR's take on carrying an 18" blade while riding around on a bike on state land. The handlebar wrap really takes the shock out of beating the heck out of the dry limbs that break off and fall onto the trail, something the hand pruners don't help much with and I just don't like folding saws anymore. I don't carry a saw too much but I've addressed that need with different types of packsaw, 28" dandy saw being one I can easily carry and still do a lot of work with (also wrapped that handle with bar tape). Then just a general purpose irwin wood saw, destroys wood so much faster than a folding saw and why I ended up ditching the folding saw. It works 10x faster it seems and is a lot less tiring even if it doesn't carry as well.

I think my next BK4 mod will be to work in a "grip ring" I designed with a knife maker from the forum. If you take the wrist flippy action Uncle Ethan mentions in his kuhkri video the cut-in ring is perfect for that type of action and really facilitates a pinch grip on the handle. It's basically reversing the concept of the grip ring on Nepalese kuhkris.

DUEM9lGl.jpg

2:30 explains the arm action but the whole video is pretty sweet.

Yeah state land can have to many ticket quota "patrolers" out and about. Around here they track people who cut X-mass trees to see if they left any trimmings in the woods and make sure they got a permit and a few other things.

I had one state woodsy "officer" call me after I wrote a receipt GIFTING a tree to a lady who "Self-Served" herself a free tree on our land. Her little girl was riding on top of the toboggan to their rusty car. I yelled marry X-mass, told her she could get a tree any time, and gave her "Gift" receipt with phone number and farm address. Sure enough 45 min after she left, got it in her house some one "reported" her for having a tree suspiciously during the holidays! I got a call from "a tree police officer" don't know if it was DNR, Forestry or what ever who ever can be the "Tree Police", but was asked if trimmings were left in the woods! I told the idiot it was gifted, it was from private land, and she should have him arrested for breaking and entering and home invasion! I could hear the little girl yelling at him "STOP TRYING TO STEAL OUR TREE!" After I got done talking to him she said he just left, and I heard her yell "I told ya so!" Seems he was going to confiscate the tree and leave the mother a big ticket, well never heard any thing more about that incident and next year she got another tree. Heard she moved away with her new family. But it just irks me when that happened even after a few years. I got a few trees that go missing every X-mass, but now as they sneakily enter I leave a sign saying "TAKE TREE RECEIPT" (In zip lock bags in a jar or can) and arrows pointing where I want the trees murdered from to clear that dang field. They want trees and I want them gone, win win.

I use my BK-4 for a multi-tool or depends what I want to bring a long to cut dang branches off to be able to walk through an area I want the deer to go...er my "Nature" trails that is. :cool: I usually carry a buck 110 or gerber gator blade in the pouch or the sheath with one on the BK-4. or 9, even 22 (22 is a 2 with the nylon sheath) for my "Bush" knife fine blade. The main BK blades I use all of them can do big and little knife stuff.

Yeah state land can have to many ticket quota "patrolers" out and about. Around here they track people who cut X-mass trees to see if they left any trimmings in the woods and make sure they got a permit and a few other things.

I had one state woodsy "officer" call me after I wrote a receipt GIFTING a tree to a lady who "Self-Served" herself a free tree on our land. Her little girl was riding on top of the toboggan to their rusty car. I yelled marry X-mass, told her she could get a tree any time, and gave her "Gift" receipt with phone number and farm address. Sure enough 45 min after she left, got it in her house some one "reported" her for having a tree suspiciously during the holidays! I got a call from "a tree police officer" don't know if it was DNR, Forestry or what ever who ever can be the "Tree Police", but was asked if trimmings were left in the woods! I told the idiot it was gifted, it was from private land, and she should have him arrested for breaking and entering and home invasion! I could hear the little girl yelling at him "STOP TRYING TO STEAL OUR TREE!" After I got done talking to him she said he just left, and I heard her yell "I told ya so!" Seems he was going to confiscate the tree and leave the mother a big ticket, well never heard any thing more about that incident and next year she got another tree. Heard she moved away with her new family. But it just irks me when that happened even after a few years. I got a few trees that go missing every X-mass, but now as they sneakily enter I leave a sign saying "TAKE TREE RECEIPT" (In zip lock bags in a jar or can) and arrows pointing where I want the trees murdered from to clear that dang field. They want trees and I want them gone, win win.

I use my BK-4 for a multi-tool or depends what I want to bring a long to cut dang branches off to be able to walk through an area I want the deer to go...er my "Nature" trails that is. :cool: I usually carry a buck 110 or gerber gator blade in the pouch or the sheath with one on the BK-4. or 9, even 22 (22 is a 2 with the nylon sheath) for my "Bush" knife fine blade. The main BK blades I use all of them can do big and little knife stuff.

I just want to say that I love this story and how you "gift" the trees away. Well done sir.

People were going to "Gather" them, I wanted them gone from that little patch which was an easy to get in from the road for them, and I'm sure the "tree police" was sure to stop a few people who had a tree. A receipt was a good way to stick it to them also. And it saved me time to have to deal with them in better weather. But really a mother trying to give her kid a Christmas tree I couldn't say no to, especially after all the work she put in getting it. I had a feeling Merfy's Law was going to strike, so I gave her the receipt knowing a few people almost got ticketed on their own land the year before.

Now I can use big choppers to clear trails as an axe in the thicker stuff is harder to use, another thing I learned from that. Machetes don't work well on the stuff I "wood work" with.

Back