BK2 or BK10 for prep branches for camp fire

One of the Scout style camp fires is the tepee style: from dry grass and bark to 2" branches and 3-4 steps between.

An axe is overkill and dangerous and overwhelming for a machete because the short distance work.

I think this is a good job for a BK2 and BK10, "clean" branches for the camp fire.

Does anyone used a 2 or 10 for this task or a similar one?

I've used my 2 for campfire prep on many occasions. This is why it is called the "Campanion". It makes great work splitting any branch of the quoted size. It will also handle many other survival / bushcraft task with ease. With that said, The thickness of the "unbreakable under normal conditions" knife and weight make many people uneasy. Many prefer the BK10 because it is easier to control. I prefer the BK2 because I find the weight gives it that bit of substance that I want in a knife I can trust to dismantle anything.

If you plan on ordering one without holding it first you will be happy with with whatever you order.

Ive used both and appreciated the 10s extra length over the 2. The 2 does split a little better but I havent had any problems using the 10.

Thank you for your feedback.

Just now the 2 its a little cheaper than the 10 in amazon.

i have used them both and they work the bk2 is a better chopper but the 10 doesfuzz sticks easier , but they both work so flip a coin i say!!

Been asked before. Get both. Of the two I prefer the 10. And you can't not have a 9

Dunno why the 9 is so important. What are people doing when they go camping? Chopping down 70 year old trees? I see absolutely no reason for anything larger than a 7, at the most. That's what freaking saws are for, for heaven's sake. To me, with a saw, even a 7 is overkill. Anyone who can use a knife would be just fine with a 16...it's all about bushcraft skills...

Dunno why the 9 is so important. What are people doing when they go camping? Chopping down 70 year old trees? I see absolutely no reason for anything larger than a 7, at the most. That's what freaking saws are for, for heaven's sake. To me, with a saw, even a 7 is overkill. Anyone who can use a knife would be just fine with a 16...it's all about bushcraft skills...

It's because you can't not have a 9. Spend more time here... You'll learn the ways....

Well a saw is good for sawing and that's it. A BK9 is good for everything. I used one to make a spatula last camping trip. Try one out or at least watch some videos. If you don't want one whatever but you could at least not look down your nose at people who use one.

Get out..

(Jk of course) welcome to Beckerland, here we use knives for everything.

Picking your teeth, why not? Cuddling your newborn baby, you betchya' ;)

Oh and PS, the environment you live in has a lot to do with it. You may get by in BC with just an axe but here I can't penetrate the woods without a blade at least handy enough to chop a little wood and clear thorny vines out my way, the tvines are everywhere. . Though lately, I've been thinking about testing multi tool wire snips on them.

And yea, I do carry a saw but the blade is just darn handy. I font need to waste time sawing all the little stuff

Last edited:
If you don't want one whatever but you could at least not look down your nose at people who use one.

This is the part that makes me crazy. You don't like to use big knives fine with me. Do it your way. But why is it so necessary to insult people with different opinions. Anyone that rude and narrow minded wont fit in around here very well.

I have a BK2 that I use in my farm and it's very useful in firemaking. This is what I use in teaching my son how to prep the firewood.

Back