Bk7 or bk9?

StrangeDaze

Gold Member
This is my first post to this forum, but I have been reading threads from this site for years. I finally decided it was time to get an account and join! Anyway I know there are a million other threads with the same question but I still want to hear which one you think is best for my environment, application and situation. I live in the Pacific Northwest and would be using it for wilderness survival/bushcraft type stuff. I already have a few 7 inch blades but only one that is single edge carbon steel blade (a carbon v recon tanto). I do have a tomahawk and a machete for chopping, but don't want to have to carry them around when I'm out sometimes. I've heard the bk7 is a good chopper and I've also heard it isn't. There doesn't seem to be that debate with the bk9 but some say it is too heavy (especially in the tip, but that's what makes it a good chopper right?).. If anyone has personal experience with both please tell me your thoughts. I haven't gotten a chance to use either so any help would be appreciated.

BK7 or BK9?
The answer you are looking for is "Yes"

This. BK9 first. I have almost every Becker model made by Ka-Bar and the BK9 is the best knife I've ever owned. I used to live in north east Oregon and gave my BK9 quite a beating in the Blue Mountains.

Just get both of them 😎😎😎

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Based on your comments I would encourage the BK9 it will do what you need and not too heavy... I have one which I have beat devil out of as I have heard so many positives comments. It's tough... I promise and a great value other that the sheath I do not care for. All said, I have seen failures of this knife but still feel it is one of the best in regards to value.

The 7 lives in my bug out bag, the 9 lives in my bushcraft pack.... they are interchangeable but given your specific areas of intended use... I'd say the 9 is the right choice for you.... followed closely by a 16.

I would say 9 is lightweight compared to other knives of similar blade length. 16-17 oz I believe. BK7 is 13.3 oz.

Would get 9 if have 7" knives already. Can't go wrong with either

I too would agree that the BK9 should be first, but it will not be your last. These blades have a tendency to multiply faster than rabbits - at least for me. I think I am up to 16 of them in little over a year with the "Becker bug" that afflicts many of us.

Granted many are collection blades - Camillus and stamped versions. My main users are a BK9, BK4, and BK2 with BK13s.

I too would agree that the BK9 should be first, but it will not be your last. These blades have a tendency to multiply faster than rabbits - at least for me. I think I am up to 16 of them in little over a year with the "Becker bug" that afflicts many of us. Granted many are collection blades - Camillus and stamped versions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 9 isn't going to be the last! I've already been scoping the 5, as well as the 2 as a gift (might have to get one down the line as well!)

The 7 will never out preform the 9 in chopping. However, these blades are without a doubt th best you can buy in the price range. They are different knives and fit into different categories.

I'm looking at both blades today as well. My reference is the ESEE-6, until it got stolen. Never went any bigger. I could just buy the same knife again, but very maybe, the little boy in me, wants another knife. The BK7 would be an obvious choice, and although I prefer a less intimidating spear point, something thin and pointy to poke an overly enthusiastic wild boar with, could be useful (they get *real* big around here).
On the flipside I think I've read that the BK9 is the better knife, balance and such, that the BK7 was merely a compromise so it would fit the requirements for the troops, etc. I think even Ethan said something along these lines.
Getting both is not an option, knives are users for me, and having both would simply mean one stays home all the time. Trying them before I buy is neither an option, you can't find these around here, so I'm looking at an expensive online order - for a blade that is relatively cheap in the US.
Which one is the better knife?

I can't comment on the 7, as I've never owned one, but the 9 is one hell of a good blade. Not much I can't accomplish with that blade. The 9 is definitely one of the more popular Becker blades. A do all.

The BK7 is a compromise Jack of All Trades, Middle of the Road knife in my opinion - and it excels at all of that. It is versatile, lightweight for its abilities and a "not too big/not too small" size.

That said, get the BK9 and a BK11/14/24 to go along with it on your outings - you will be well covered.

I would have stated the above even if you didn't already have a few seven-inch blades.

Thx - I do not longer own 7 inch blades. My ESEE-6 was my only big blade. DPX Hest is my current blade right now.

The BK-9 was the very first Becker I acquired a few years ago. It is popular for a reason, it is a beast of a knife that can get practically any job done. I cannot comment on the BK-7 as I do not own one, at least not yet.

Along the same lines of what others have said already, pairing it with a smaller knife will give you a killer combo. I personally would recommend a BK-16 or BK-15(if you can find one still) to go with a BK-9, you will find that with those two knives you can tackle pretty much anything that gets thrown at you.

The 9 would be a fantastically awesome start, you can't go wrong with it, or with any Becker for that matter.

Almost no knife under 8" is a good chopper: They are passable hackers at best.

The reason is the center of gravity goes into the handle, which changes everything in how the knife "rears up" on impact...

I would advise instead an Ontario SP-53 or SP-52, at around 22 ounces for the 53, 18-19 ounces for the 52... (BK-9 is 17 ounces)

I've found the BK-9 to be only a marginal chopper. It only very slightly out-performs a Trailmaster, and transmits far more vibrations: Over the long run the vibrations are very tiring... Even the Trailmaster is poor imho because the handle is way too thin to transmit adequate force. I've heard the $60 SP-53 out-performs everything by a large margin, including thousand dollars customs... It is slightly less of a "slicer", but could have its edge angle lowered...

Gaston

I've owned the 9 for a little over half a year now and must say I'm simply blown away with how amazing it is. Exceeded all expectations. Really glad I went with it instead of the 7. Used it to make a ton of bow drills from start to finish, hacked down multiple acacia trees about 3 inches wide for wikiup poles no problem and a ton of other chores. I also have a Kershaw camp 10 which may be a better chopper but the point is a drop point, not very pointy. It's good at carving but not as good as the 9. Plus it's made in China out of 65mn which nobody really seems to know that much about (besides it has relatively more impurities). It holds and edge ok and is easy to sharpen, I just hope it doesn't break like a lot of the camp 14/18's I've seen. The only other competitor I have is the tereva Skrama. It has a nice point and a secondary bevel that is more useful for carving the first 3 inches of the blade. The longer handle makes for great leverage as well. Btw you could totally get both and switch up which one you use. It sounds like maybe you are not in the US? So maybe that's not an option due to price?. For me it came down to what I needed, which was a chopper, if that's what you need go for the 9. If you don't plan on doing as much chopping maybe the 7 would be a better fit.

Edit: I also agree, unless you are a one tool option kind of guy, with going big with the 9 and get a bk16 or 15 (if you can find one) or another smaller knife.

Last edited:
Back