Bk9 Journey

Holy goodness man!!... So, I scored a bk9 a week or so ago after months of deliberation, and honestly to my dismay I wasn't really impressed when it arrived to the point that I didnt do anything to it thinking I would just re-sell it. It sat on the table for a day or so and my girlfriend and I are talking and I told her the deal about reselling it. She picks it up and says "this one here"... yep I said. So she fiddles with it for a few minutes and I can surprisingly tell that she likes it...lol...she has never handled any of my knives like that before... (I know, even I am dying trying to hold back the jokes, just bear with me...)
So, I told her hey, if you like it we can keep it, I'm glad to see that you like one of my knives! Then I showed her the micarta grips and the dye that I bought. We dyed the scales, and she thought that was pretty neat. Then the knife sits in my bag for a week or so, until tonight...

So, even from the start I knew that this knife needed some work. The grind on the belly was way off to one side ( which was one of the things that initially threw me off) so I began the long process of fixing the secondary bevel. I broke out my dmt coarse and xcoarse stone and went to grinding (great stones for that btw). I have only fixed minor problems like this before, but I figured heck, first time for everything right?

So, After 2hrs on the xcoarse stone its looking right, but I still haven't handled it much yet. I take it to the fine stone and polish it up, and shave my girlfriend's arm and start playing with it. Then it hits me.... WOW, idk if it was just holding it for 2 hrs on the stone, or if it was the steel I took off the end, or if it was just me knowing that it was fixed (and I was kinda proud of that as well, it was a major fix!). but I was absolutely amazed...I'm thrashing and slashing around the kitchen like a roman centurion in complete awe with this knife. Now, its around 1030p, and I tell my girlfriend who is just looking at me weird at this point that "I have to go chop something!". So, I go outside and whack on a solid peice of seasoned oak and cut a hell of a v in it with just a few whacks. I show it off 2 or 3 times and come back in still slashing and thrashing...still completely in awe of the bk9!
So now its 1130p, the girlfriend gave up and Im left in the kitchen.... and I say to myself...who of all people could I share this momentous occasion with? So, I go to the only place where this behavior is accepted and normalized :)...BF! Thanks for reading guys. I know you guys feel what I'm saying. If any of you all are on the fence as I was on the bk9...just go for it! Lol!

Okay, in all seriousness...I'm gonna go check in on the gf.;):thumbsup::D2019-02-11 23.53.20.jpg
2019-02-12 15.27.30.jpg

Last edited:
Now that you have spent some time with the your girlfriend's BK9, are you ready to buy one for yourself? My wife has laid claim to one of my BK5s (its ok I have a few) , My only BK15 and she is trying to find the BK98 that mysteriously appears only when I'm helping in the kitchen.

Now that you have spent some time with the your girlfriend's BK9, are you ready to buy one for yourself? My wife has laid claim to one of my BK5s (its ok I have a few) , My only BK15 and she is trying to find the BK98 that mysteriously appears only when I'm helping in the kitchen.
Haha, ooh she's good. But, yes I'm told that I'm to buy another bk9 and dye the handle a pretty color!

Hooray for the rescue!
But 2 hours adjusting an edge profile with diamond stones? You need to use more pressure, man. That should be a 15-minute job, even on a knife that big. Then you can spend more time CHOPPING!

Hooray for the rescue!
But 2 hours adjusting an edge profile with diamond stones? You need to use more pressure, man. That should be a 15-minute job, even on a knife that big. Then you can spend more time CHOPPING!
True, but it was not just a minor adjustment. It was probably 95% of the grind on one side from the belly to the tip, never seen one that bad before. I'm totally used to adjusting my benchmades...cough...cough...lol, but this was completely off plus I took my time and refined the edge afterwards.. But definitely, she's a chopper and a slicer now! :thumbsup::D

So, when the first one arrived (mine), she named it Bertha. When hers arrived I fittingly named it Becky.;)

I think it’s time for me to up my game from the tweeners, even know the 15 I just got will be a major player while camping. The 9 is just calling me.
Trust me, once you have it you’ll be happy you got one. It’s that good and it’s still my favorite Becker. :thumbsup:

Back