Black Kershaw Groove or Black Pacific Salt

For an edc blade I think a knife with more belly is better. I know that most of the cutting I do is with the belly or the tip. So I think that the Spyderco is the better edc blade. That said are you sure you want the Pacific Salt? I kinda think that for a edc blade a smaller blade might be better, so maybe the Salt H1 would be better. The main drawback to a black blade is that it gets scratched up and makes the knife look beaten up. Also one of the uses for a coating is to prevent rust, so for the Salt series knives it seems to be redundant.

Thanks for the tips.
I'm a novice when it comes to knives...so, no I'm not sure I want the Pacific Salt. I just liked the way it looked.:)

The Salt H1 was actually the knife I was leaning toward, before I got caught up in the black craze. If the black on the blade scratches then I don't think I'd want one.

Go with the Spyderco much better IMHO. The Kershaw Groove I had would rust like a SOB no matter what I did to it.

I'm a big Kershaw fan, but I think you'll like the Spyderco better as an all around EDC. Though if you can, get that tanto Groove too, it's a neat knife and is still quit usable as an EDC.

Pac Salt definitely. It's an unrustable Endura, which is a classic. I love mine.

Light, ambidextrous, good simple lock, thumbhole which I like much more, and did I mention totally rustproof? Even if you're not in a humid environment, you don't have to worry about sweat or food acids or anything at all. I can't think of a better all-round EDC, except maybe one of the Boye Dendritic Colbalt knives, but they are much more expensive. Strongly consider getting it in yellow, it's harder too lose, looks unique, and looks less like a weapon.

Josh K

Pirate
In my opinion, the tanto groove looks like a folding shank. There have also been reports of lots of rust from Kershaw's blasted blade finish.

Spyderco's black blade coatings don't scratch easily at all, but I think it's a bit redundant to coat a stainless blade. I think that that Pacific Salt is a bit large, and would rather take a Salt I with me.

If you're bent on a blade coating, maybe try a Paramilitary or Leek / Blur.

I'd get a black coated Kershaw--it's Tugsten DLC, and one of the best coatings out there. All of my black coated Kershaws have not rusted in high humidity + sweat. You can't really go wrong either way here though.

Some say Spyderco's H1 is not best edge holding steel. I am very satisfied of my H1 Ladybug 3 yellow handle. I am big fan of Kershaw's but out of those two, I would probably take Pacific Salt, its lighter = better for EDC and if I am right it has thinner blade profile = better slicer.

I currently have a spydie salt 1 in my pocket. I have the yellow handled one and it is very good non-scary and light weight. The edge retention is good enough for a light use Edc. If you have a sharpmaker it is easy to touch the blade up quickly and easily.

I might also recommend the delica or the centefante both are very good light edcs and vg10 is one of my favorite steels.

Just my .02

-Alex

There have been comments about Kershaw's knives rusting. I don't think it's the steel, but their bead-blast that micro pits the blade. If you get a coated Groove (Reg. or tanto), that issue is out the window, IMHO.

On the point of getting a coated blade, I think most are saying here that it's strictly for looks on the Salt series, as they don't rust, so there's really no point with the coating.

If you like &/or want a coated blade, go for the Groove. Certainly for the price, they're not bad.

I'd probably go with the Salt just because it's different than what I currently have. The Groove is very nice though. I have my (regular) Groove tuned up so nicely, it's actually the smoothest flipper I own. It's difficult not to get it to open fully.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!!

I just ordered the Salt 1 for $54 + free s/h, + no tax. Should be here in a few days.

Trvlngnrs, I realize you have already ordered a Spyderco Salt from the suggestions above. It is a good blade. You probably won't be disappointed with it.

But don't let the Kershaw Groove pass you by.
There were some mistakes made above about this knife. The coating on the black model is super tough.
It would take purposeful destruction to remove it.
Also, none of the Grooves have a bead blast finish. Don't know where that came from, maybe they've never carried one.
The standard model and the grey are satin finished while rainbow colored one has it's coating.

RJ Martin designs some great knives and I'm glad Kershaw has this one available.

J_Curd

Gold Member
Trvlngnrs, I realize you have already ordered a Spyderco Salt from the suggestions above. It is a good blade. You probably won't be disappointed with it.

But don't let the Kershaw Groove pass you by.
There were some mistakes made above about this knife. The coating on the black model is super tough.
It would take purposeful destruction to remove it.
Also, none of the Grooves have a bead blast finish. Don't know where that came from, maybe they've never carried one.
The standard model and the grey are satin finished while rainbow colored one has it's coating.

RJ Martin designs some great knives and I'm glad Kershaw has this one available.

Ah heck, even I learned a thing or two on that one. Thanks for accurate info, it's a shame it came along after the OP made a decision based on some misguided feedback.

Thanks for the new info the the Kershaw. Even though I ordered the Salt...
Christmas is coming!!