black micarda ??????????????

Micarta is a trademark of the Westinghouse corporation that is commonly used to describe all similar composites.

It is a laminate of woven or fibrous material that is impregnated with a phenolic resin. Like steel-reinforced concrete, the hard but brittle matrix substance is buttressed by the flexible reinforcing material, making a strong, flexible material in which cracks are unlikely and won't spread.

Micarta is made in theree varieties, using different reinforcing structures. Paper Micarta is relatively the weakest with its unwoven support, but takes a nice polish that only lightly shows the layers. Linen Micarta uses a light cloth as a support and is strong as well as taking a decent polish that shows clear layers. Canvas Micarta has heavier cloth and is very strong - it polishes poorly but can have a nice texture when bead-blasted to reveal the weave.

G-10 might be considered an offshoot of Micarta, though it uses woven glass fiber rather than cloth. It's the strongest of the type and has finishing qualities similar to canvas Micarta.

-Drew

Micarta is a trademark of Westinghouse. It is basically the precursor to materials like fiberglass and carbon fiber. Micarta is a term used like "Kleenex", so it is often applied to phenol compounds not made by Westinghouse, too.
Micarta is a material wherein layers of base material are infused and bound together by a phenolic epoxy-like compound. The layers are typically paper, linen or canvas, or rag (various materials thrown into the mis for a tortoise-shell like appearance).
The substances are then put into a vacuum and pressurized, then cured, so they form something that acts a lot like plastic. Paper Micartas have a uniform appearance so you really don't see the layers. LInen Micarta generally has a fine layering while canvas Micarta has rougher, more braod layers. It is strong and nice-looking material by most people's standards.

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath page:
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

WHAT, you did not mention the magic smell component!!!
wink.gif

See this thread from the Spyderco forum entitled, "micarta smell?":
http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/000213.html

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I've never noticed a funny smell with micarta.

------------------
My Custom Kydex Sheath page:
http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Lab/1298/knifehome.html
Palmer College of Chiropractic
On Two Wheels

I use all three micartas. In my eperience Linen Micarta is a lot tougher than canvas micarta due to the finer grain. Canvas micarta also puts of a nasty fume when it is ground. Linen micarta almost smells pleasant when it ground. Linen micarta when shaped properly is also very pretty. Check out the Linen Micarta on my Spec Ops Bowie.
specopsbowie.jpg

------------------
Lynn Griffith-Tactical Knifemaker
Winner of "Best Tactical Knife" at 1999 PKA show
My website
See my award winning "Spec Ops Tanto" in Gallery 3 of my website
GriffithKN@aol.com
Discounts to Police and Active Duty Military

Back