Black Oxide Coating Durability

Kalsu

Gold Member
So I haven't been around here for a while. So when I started looking at OKT knives again I noticed that a lot of them are now sporting a black oxide coating. They look great. I have no experience with black oxide coatings and am wondering how durable it is?

So I haven't been around here for a while. So when I started looking at OKT knives again I noticed that a lot of them are now sporting a black oxide coating. They look great. I have no experience with black oxide coatings and am wondering how durable it is?

My first OKT knife came with the coating. It is an interesting coating, I was familiar with it but never owned one coated like this before. It is not like DLC with a thick layer, paint like coating. It is more like a "stain" applied to the metal. It wears and lightens from use giving it an antique like appearance but doesn't seems to affect the rust protection. The coating stays in the pits and irregularities of the metal very well. I personally like the look of it.

My first OKT knife came with the coating. It is an interesting coating, I was familiar with it but never owned one coated like this before. It is not like DLC with a thick layer, paint like coating. It is more like a "stain" applied to the metal. It wears and lightens from use giving it an antique like appearance but doesn't seems to affect the rust protection. The coating stays in the pits and irregularities of the metal very well. I personally like the look of it.

The coating is applied very thin. I ended up getting a warthog with the black oxide coating. I am excited to see how it wears.
Man I love those warthogs. Great knife.

So I haven't been around here for a while.

It was fun times when the sales were here and people were hanging around talking knives on a regular basis. We need to revitalize the OKT Forum!

The oxide coating wears without much trouble, but can be reapplied if you wanted a fresh start. I think the worn finish look goes along well lower cost “budget” line intended for the coated knives (though the steels being used on these will patina on their own and achieve the same used look). They’ll end up looking like well used knives after a while nonetheless.

Anti-glare and some very minor rust prevention I guess are the other benefits. They do look nice. I should have kept one of the Vildmarks that came through here - I do like Chris' CPM154 on most things though

50123848986_212152a516_c.jpg

Thanks for the picture. I do like the way the coating wears with use. I will have to get a picture of my warthog on here when I get a chance.

Back