Blackjack Knives

Are they any good? I've started looking at one of the 155 models in 154CM but I'm not sure if this manufacturer is very well known/respected. I couldn't find many reviews on anything they make so I figured I'd bring it to ya'll. Any info is much appreciated, fellas.

They are good knives. Made by Bark River and convexed. The A2 blades anyways. They came out with 1095 knives for a while but went back to A2 as far as I know. The inexpensive 1095 blades I have no experience with but I do with the Blackjack A2 model 1-7 plus another one, a prototype 8 inch A2 blade. Also nice!

Joe

Not all Blackjacks are created equal. :eek:

The American made knives are indeed made by Bark River, the majority in A2 Tool Steel, the 155 Necker is the only one I know of in 154CM.

There are also some less expensive Chinese made Blackjacks models available in a variety of steels.

I have had a Blackjack Necker for over a year now, and it has served me well.

vh5k1c8.jpg

BJ 155 - middle knife in photo.

I carried it as a necker over the winter and found it quite convenient.

Currently it's out in my vegetable garden, going through some long term testing, it will be out there until the end of the growing season exposed to the rigors of dirt time and the weather.

I also have some of the Blackjack Classic Series in A2, first rate knives. :thumbup: :cool: :thumbup:

tkthU3I.jpg

Big Mike

The Blackjack Knives Mike produced in 1095 when Ken Warner owned the trademark were fine as well. :)

I have no idea who owns the Blackjack trademark at this point. It's been tossed around quite a bit. But the A2 knives that are currently being made under the Blackjack banner are definitely BRK&T knives. And I, for one, would suggest the OP stick with them.

Last edited:
The Blackjack Knives Mike produced in 1095 when Ken Warner owned the trademark were fine as well. :)

I have no idea who owns the Blackjack trademark at this point.
It's been tossed around quite a bit. But the A2 knives that are currently being made under the Blackjack banner are definitely BRK&T knives. And I, for one, would suggest the OP stick with them.

Blackjack is currently owned by Blue Ridge Knives.

Bark River makes the BJ Classic Series in A2, the Tac-Ops Series in 1095, and the 154CM Neckers.

I believe the new BJ Bushcraft knife is also 1095, as is the tactical hawk.

Bark River does a good job on all of them.

I have not seen much on the imported Blackjacks, nor do I have any personal experience with them.

Big Mike

Blackjack made EK knives at some IIRC.....

Yes, in the early '90's Blackjack acquired the rights to the EK Brand and moved production to it's plant in Effingham, Illinois.

IIRC, four or five years later some former EK employees bought the rights from BJ and moved production back to Richmond, Virgina.

Big Mike

Blackjack is currently owned by Blue Ridge Knives.

Bark River makes the BJ Classic Series in A2, the Tac-Ops Series in 1095, and the 154CM Neckers.

I believe the new BJ Bushcraft knife is also 1095, as is the tactical hawk.

Bark River does a good job on all of them.

I have not seen much on the imported Blackjacks, nor do I have any personal experience with them.

Big Mike
Thanks for the update, Mike. :)

I have a blackjack halo attack. Love it, I think them making a lot of old school Vietnam style blades keeps them from being very popular with the current fads, I personally love Vietnam style blades and blackjack makes great repos/users if you like the style. That being said I only have experience with their A2 blades

I have a Blackjack 125 that I really like. Also have the 1-7. These are both in A2 and made by Bark River to their standards. Excellent knives! I have misplaced or the 125 has been stolen, but probably misplaced/lost inside my house. It is driving me crazy not knowing where it is. Probably will end up buying another 125. I use it as an all around woods knife and I really like it for this purpose.

I have Blackjack Trail Guide that was made in Effingham IL also. It is like a slightly downsized 125.

I stay away from the chinese made Blackjacks, but have no experience with them.

I appreciate the information/opinions here guys and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one. Now if only I could find any place that has the micarta scales in stock.

I keep getting tempted by the 125 with stacked leather, such a classic looking knife.

I appreciate the information/opinions here guys and I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one. Now if only I could find any place that has the micarta scales in stock.

Great choice. :thumbup: :D :thumbup:

And the scales are a must, takes it from being just a "necker" to being a real usable EDC. :cool:

Big Mike

Back