Blackwood Grifter #2 (nanny nany poopoo)

sniperboy

Gold Member
[seductive]

To tell you the truth I am acquainted with the term "Grifter" and have lots of evil, sleek, yet cool images of it - mainly from comics and movies, but I am not sure what it literally means. One thing is for sure though, when I look at this knife from none other than our own Neil Blackwood I can 'feel' what the slang means without the use of words.

To those keeping track Blackwood recently resurfaced an old project of his- which could very well be the first 'official' double edged Blackwood blade that all the world should see. and I am happy to have the privellege of owning the #2 knife of this model (the #1 prototype) is with Neil. (I also have the #2 American ninja which I am quite giddy to own - the #1 prototype being on some lucky collector's hands)

From the moment I saw Neil's Hawksbill knife I was in love with his work and it baffled me why he was not more 'famous', maybe it is because of his humble nature or that he has not being doign it full time but to his cult fans they know he's got talent - he's always ready to grow to do what he wants instead of letting his fame steer him (which happens to many more famous and 'unreachable' makers).. and I kidn of like his down to earth, funny, and friendly attitude. Talkgin to him on the phone really gave me a new impression of him - that is someone who really LOVES to make knves and one who is not eager to follow with the norm. HIs american ninja and Hayabusa series are trait to that. He is ready to work with the customer - accepting of ideas and ready to give some advice of his own. He's also ready to try new things liek folders and new steels liek talonite and stellite. This love for his craft and pride in his sense of direction really gave me confidence in him. I don't believe it took me this long to get to know him as a person and an artist.

I received this blade yesterday and it was hard to hold my excitement becausse the forums were down and now that it's up and running again I can't wait to blabber - in fact I am havinga hell of a time organizing my thoughts as I want to talk about all the aspects of the knife at once.

I guess I shoudl step back and take a breather.

Here is the original thread that Neil posted that made me fall in love with the blade the moment I saw it:
http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002255.html

3/16" D2, tapered tang, ivory Micarta with red and blue spacers and mosaic pins. 8 3/4" OAL, 4"

http://blackwoodknives.com/grifter1.jpg

[I was a goner]

Where to begin... I have always been fancying the idea of Neil making a double edged blade and I guess he read my mind - and I am sure the mind of others on the forums and FINALLY put a lot of dreams and desires to steel. THe blade, unlike others in Blackwood's design is thinly ground to a painfully sharp edge, minus the reinforced point trademark in his designs. Being as such the edge is deathly sharp and has a super thin point not to be trifled with.

I like i like.

THe handle has white micarta which I INSTANTLY fell in love with - and to those who know my taste in double edged white handled knives knew I was a goner from the first round. Under the micarta are two spacers. Blue under red. I will admit to you that I do like the red under white but I do not really like the look of blue and red (I prefer balck and red but hey it's his trademark and I respect that), it seems to make the knife less 'serious'. BUt ofcourse that is merely my personal preference - I do not let my picky colour coding tastes interfere with my appreciation for fine art.

I havent been around i guess or makers just don't take the time to fine polish their knives (or maybe don't have the artistic mind) but this is the first time I have seen BEAUTIFUL use of coloured spacers. Neil carved the white micarta down to the spacers to give it a nice 'layered'/gradient/eroded look. I don't know how else to explain it, but if you look at the knife plan view straight down you can see faint hues as the white micarta 'fades' into red then blue.

I was in awe when I saw it - very artisticaly done.

The handle is sculpted thin and decorated with two mosaic pins. A fine cocktail party knife, and a deadly don juan dueller not to be trifled with. THe handle is slightly sculpted as well for extreme comfort with just the right dips and swells long the front of the handle. That coupled with the thin and lightweight physique makes a sexy knife that just flies from the draw to grip changes to resheathing. Holding the knife in saber, forward and reverse, my fingers and palm fit comfortably in it and don't feel like they woudl tire even under long term use.

FOrumites have expressed a concern since there is no thumb guard on the top of the swedge when using the knife in saber grip. I had that concern too but thinkng about it my fingers are not long enough to run down the top edge to be cut (i've tried) and Neil's smooooth double indexing and thumb serrations really puts your hand in a solid grip with the handle. Even a commited thrust as Neil has tested will probably not dislodge your hand unless you just catastrophically let go.

EVen as I understand this in my mind, my body is still a little worried, but then again logic and gut feelign are two things not always intertwined. I woudl suggest a sliiiight thumb ramp on the spine of the blade to add reassurance on the grip. However I woudl not change my knife if given that option because I think it woudl interfere with the sleek and streamlined shape of the knife.. won't you agree?

THese are just my worry wart conceptions, I woudl liek to stress that this handle has a solid grip due to the serrations and double finger indexing.. which is.. surprisingly not obstructive or uncomfortable or limiting unliek other knife designs that rely on too many sharp unsculpted finger indexing grooves.

Last but not the least I would liek to gloat about Neil's fine sheath. I made a request for him to make a folded slim and compact kydex sheath - no offense but the kydex sheath on my american ninja in it's 2 piece sandwich construction was just too bulky and paddle like for my tastes. It felt like it belonged in some fraternity iniciation rite
biggrin.gif
(we're still friends right Sir Blackwood?
tongue.gif
)

Neil made the sheath to my specifications and it's a slim and compact package for slightly canted horizontal on the back carry and shoudler rig carry. But it doens't stop there. Where others might stop at making a sheath just an 'accesory' an ugly 'thing' to hold the knife. Neil went the extra mile to carve and CHAMFER the edges of the kydex sheath to match the overall look of the knife. No boxy rivetty kydex paddle here. Usually I feel that knife makers do their thing and shethmakers shoudl be left to do their own thing, Neil is equally skilled in both departments and I was really impressed that he went beyond the call of duty to beautify the sheath. the sheath is comfortable and effective, albeit being a bit tight on the knife - but it will surely losen with time or I can cut it down to size to grip less of the handle.

I am sure I have balbbered incoherently about this knife and I am sorry - for fear of sounding silly and high on sugar I'll stop
tongue.gif
All in all I conclude that this knife is light, swift, comfortable, sharp, and SEXY!

WHen i opened the package all I coudl think of was "I've been waiting for this knife for a long time, I just didn't know it yet." And I say that with no false flattery.

This angel will be a fine addition to the [perfect-Sniper/Immaculate white knife collection.]

Thank you and good night.

------------------
URBAN.LEGENDS.(BalisongGARBAGE)
ENGEL.DESIGN.ROOM
[FAKE01].[the mirror site](www.rejectionist.com)
Knives.I.Want
If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

Wow... what a... wow! Pretty as a picture!
smile.gif

Gotta get me some Blackwood knives!

AJ

S.,
biggrin.gif

This afternoon I was talking to a mutual friend, saying, that BA$TID didn't Email me to say the knife arrived..... Now I can see,
you were busy!!! I'm VERY sorry if I caused your ears to "ring".
I'm at a loss for words, other than I'm VERY glad you like the knife AND sheath! It's been more than a pleasure
corresponding over the past year. I look forward to seeing you once again in Atlanta.
Besides my time in the shop, I really enjoy the interaction with my friends (customers). I try to be as open as possible to ideas
and suggestions because this OFTEN leads to producing better knives.
The Grifter started out as about 50 pieces of drawing paper on the floor, trying to get the profile right. 3 of the first 6 blanks
wound up in the garbage as I tried to get the grind lines in the right place
frown.gif
As I mentioned in the other thread, a double edge
similar to the Grifter with a thumb ramp or top guard would be a different model. I can see the need but wanted to stay with the
theme, if you know what I mean
wink.gif

NOTHING makes me happier than seeing a new design come together and be accepted as a sound design. So far the Grifter
has generated LOTS if interest on the forums and on my web site. I GREATLY appreciate the interest in my knives, the Grifter
model and all the encouragement in general. I will do all I can to deliver them by the quoted dates.
Smiling so wide, the top of my BALD head may fall off,
NEil

------------------
Talonite......Stellite
Hand Made Knives..High Tech Materials
blackwoodknives.com

Sniperboy-Thanks for sharing the excitement of getting a great new knife.The feeling is hard to describe,but all your brother knifeknuts know it well.
Neil is a genuine super person to work with,and his work gets better and better!
Sky

I accept your gracious thanks Mr. Blackwood
smile.gif
*bows* but my philosophy is that a deserving artist deserves praise.. I forgot to mention taht your grind lines were excellent. having grounf knives (or maybe chisels is more liek it
smile.gif
) myself (pathetically at that!!
tongue.gif
) I have had another LEVEL of respect for double ground knives that disappear into an evil point. I feel honoured to have this knife.

and yes sorry Bfett
tongue.gif
I was having trouble yesterday... in general runing around. Did you knwo it wasdraper's Kid's bday yesterday? Please don't kill me when I come over.. I'll show you the knife this weekend
smile.gif

albeit my review being incoherent I think it does a better job showing my 'feelings' towards the knife which compensates for a not so technical rope cutting hole diggin review.. (which I think this knife doesn't excel in) - this knife belongs in an action movie staring ME!! MEMEMEMEEME!
biggrin.gif
(you know with the CHLINK! sound when you draw the knife from your sleeve) and I can see this knife doign that too.. given it's slim, light an fast features.

------------------
ENGEL.DESIGN.ROOM
Knives.I.Want
If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

Great review, SB. Your passion for these works of art is infectious. I'd love to see pic's of that one to see the liner effect and also the sheath. The kydex sheath I got with my minihawksbill is the standard I hold others to, great work. Congratulations!!
biggrin.gif

whoa dang nelly! that knife is SWEET! I've never seen pure evil look so attractive.. .

W
smile.gif
W
Should we start calling him
The Evil Doctor Lathe?
That blade has mean & nasty all confused with pretty... I love it!
So many knives, so little money
frown.gif

Looking for the drooling smiley,
I remain,
Ebbtide

Sniperboy,

Awesome knife! You just can’t buy one Blackwood. I know from experience. I think I have about 8 or 9. I have one on order right now. I highly recommend Neil and his knives to everyone. Take care.

WOW,
I've been talking and Emailing GRIFTER for the past 2 days!!! Thanks everyone for your interrest in this knife AND the compliments!!!!

Fishface,
>>I've never seen pure evil look so attractive<< HMMMMMMMM EDIT: removing picture of ex-wife
wink.gif

Drac,
Talonite is here, yours IS next!!

Gotta go make SPARKS,

Neil

------------------
Talonite......Stellite
blackwoodknives.com

Well, I don't think I'm capable of writing a review as creative and inspiring as Sniperboy's
smile.gif
but I recieved my Grifter today, and I love it =) Mine is a little different than Sniper's I opted for Juniper Burl scales, and he used one of his earlier prototype blades on my knife, it's a little pointier than the one Sniper has. If you've checked out Blackwood's site recently, you may have seen it
smile.gif
:

http://blackwoodknives.com/

I've been interested in buying one of Blackwoods knives for a while now, but I really prefer larger, double edged blades. When I saw the Grifter, it was definatley my style but a little small in my opinion, but I took the plunge anyway and ordered. I chatted with Neil for a while and we "discussed" what I like and what he thought would look good on the knife, I of course had several opinions of what I thought would make it look great, but in the end I went with Neil's suggestion - he is the artist after all
smile.gif
And I must say, I am in no way disappointed, he must know me better than I do. This isn't your everyday tactical knife, this knife has class
biggrin.gif
. From the gorgeous grinds on the blade, the beautiful satin finish and of course the handles - Wow!! Neil told me he had a hard time working with it, and there are some areas where you can tell there were small voids in the wood, but they are all nicely filled and the handle is perfectly smooth. I think Neil did a great job of working with the wood, and I have no complaints there. The handles make this nice beautiful and the blade makes it dangerous!
As for feel, I love the grip on this knife, the two finger groves lock it in your hand like a mini subhilt and the handle is just the right thickness and length for my bigger hands. This knife is light, quick, and sharp, the perfect gentleman's fixed blade.
I'm lucky enough to have seen both Sniper's knife and my own and I only have one thing to say to S -
tongue.gif
nanny nanny poopoo
tongue.gif

Great job Neil!! - now to finalize our other project
biggrin.gif

Troy

[This message has been edited by bfett (edited 04-05-2001).]

Troy,
I'm glad you like the knife! That wood was "fun" to work with
eek.gif
Of all the stabilized woods I've worked with, that had THE MOST characture and curle. Splitting the halves and flattening them removed the "mirror" image completly and I had to go by the grain on the side of the scales for alignment!!! Sorry to go technical their.....JUST VERY WIERD WOOD
wink.gif

S.,
I see how this is working now between you and Troy and since I'm already in the middle of it (not that I mind)...... I have a piece of dense twist Damasteel large enough for another Grifter...... I also have some MOP and mosaic damascus bolster stock.........
wink.gif
How about we add another inch or so of blade length???
biggrin.gif
LOL !!!!!

You guys have both been FUN to work with. I enjoy the exchange of ideas and information. Let's talk over a cold one in Atlanta??

Neil

------------------
Talonite......Stellite
blackwoodknives.com

bfett: you BSTARD! >_< I swear I'll kill you.. oh dears.. my knife has been usurped as the posterboy for blackwood knives.. I will go and cry in my corner (to those of you not "in" on the joke I was kidding.. bfett is my arch rival
tongue.gif
)

I wish I coudl see Bfett's grifter in person it sure looks pretty.. an excellent knife Neil.. so you thinking of making a grifter folder. I assure you if you sell to me of Bfett youre assured a double sale
wink.gif

------------------
ENGEL.DESIGN.ROOM
Knives.I.Want

Back