Blade Brothers Discovery 9pm

Here's a reason why I think some people might have a problem with the show-

A lot of knife enthusiasts get a lot of flack from family members and co-workers simply because they carry a knife for basic utility reasons. They get treated like freaks, Rambo-wannabes, and sometimes looked upon as serial-killers simply because they carry a pocket knife to cut open packages. They get comments like "What are you gonna do with THAT, kill somebody?" I'm sure that most people here know what I'm talking about.

Now these knife enthusiasts often put a lot of effort into trying to convince the people around them that most knife enthusiasts are normal, intelligent, mature individuals who are interested in knives for very simple, normal reasons. And sometimes, these knife enthusiasts actually succeed in convincing someone that people who have an interest in knives are not lunatic, serial-killer wannabes.

But when people see a guy on tv stabbing a human dummy through the roof of a car with some gigantic knife, it might just make it a little harder for some guy to convince his co-workers that knife enthusiats aren't a bunch of weirdos who are obsessed with weapons and killing people.

I've seen many examples of people using knives in a normal responsible manner on tv, even on the Discovery channel (wilderness survival shows), and I think that those shows are a great source of knife exposure for the non-knife public. But stabbing a dummy with a big knife-claw and having fake blood squirt out of it's neck goes too far in my opinion (does anyone else remember the fake blood, what was that about?).

People can say "Lighten up", and they can say "It's only a tv show", but say that to the guy who faces a very real prejudice at work, and who's boss may be contemplating a "NO KNIFE" policy.

I complained a while back about the advertising for the show "The Devils Ride" (coincidentally, another Discovery show). I complained because in the promos they had one of the "bikers" brandishing a knife to the camera in an attempt to look menacing. And whether it's some baffonish "biker" trying to look scary, or a dummy getting it's throat cut with fake blood squirting out, in my personal opinion, I don't think we as knife enthusiasts really need that kind of publicity.

Just my personal opinion.

This is the original thread that I was referring to
(and his other comments).
Anybody seen the reality show Blade Brothers on the Discovery Channel? If not, avoid it. Terrible show. Actually, no, you should check it out. It's worth watching for the exactly same reason we all stare at car wrecks when we pass by, morbid curiosity.

The show is about a custom knife maker named Todd Beggs. According to the show, he's a "legend in the knife community". Been collecting high-end customs for many years but never heard of the guy. Now I know why. The knives are kind a cross between silly fantasy themed blades for teenagers and the mall ninja junk available at any swap meet for $5-$10. Except these are made of very high end materials by some skilled craftsmen so they go for thousands of dollars. Still, as a "knife guy" I was interested in seeing the actual production of the knives. Unfortunately very little of that was to be seen. In the end, the knives, in my opinion, are not suitable for the woods, work, kitchen, EDC or battle and thus kind of pointless (no pun intended).

The man himself, Todd Beggs, seems to be a pretty cool guy but his little brother Mark drives me up the wall. He's the kind of guy we have all met at parties: the dude who thinks he's super funny but no one ever laughs at his jokes. His constant, nonsensical antics really lower the enjoyment factor on a show that was already iffy to begin with. Sadly this is what the show is actually about: Todd's interactions with his brothers, Mark in particular. Well, that, and them trying to sell ridiculously gaudy knives to people who have way too much money to spend.

I think it's great that Discovery has tried to make a show pertaining to the industry we here at Bladeforums love but this one is a miss. Discovery could have literally taken the names of 10 reputable custom makers, picked one out of a hat and I promise you it would have been a better show.

One might think that, in spite of the absurdity of the show, it might bring interest to the industry. I disagree. Considering the content of the program I actually think it will drive people away. And I'd really hate for people to think, that since I'm a "knife guy", I have anything in common with some of the people on the show or that I'm interested in the kind of products they are making.

Anybody else seen this farce and care to weigh in here?

First of all it's an entertainment show, NOT a show to teach you how to make knives...

Sure we would love to all see a documentary how to make knives but this is Discovery Channel they want a touch of drama going on.

In the "old days" the Discovery Channel did have programs that taught how to make and do things. :(

I second that!

Bodega, Field marshall, And ever hear of a very very very sought after knife that you cant touch these days even in its most basic of forms, the glimpse? You didnt hear of Todd Begg before today, the ONLY thing that that should tell you is to be a little more humble when it comes to your knowledge of knives. Begg is right up there with Ken onion, Tom Mayo and Bob Terzuola. If none of those names ring a bell then I would read more and post less. And even if Todds only accomplishment was the Bodega it would still earn him the right to call himself one of the best in the business. You say you keep hearing about is the bodega, and its for a good reason Its an amazing knife. And some of them can go for $4000 but thats not where they start. And even asking if he has anything else to his credit is yet another insult and I would recommend quitting though your certainly not ahead. Bottom line is your say your a knife fan and that you have been for a few years now. If you were a true fan, and knew anything of any real substance you would know Todd beggs name and you would show some respect. I dont care if he got on T.V. in a pink mini skirt and heels. His advancement of the knife industry excuses him. But you wouldnt know about that being the knife fan you are, you know being above it. Whos more your style? Lynn Thompson? Mick Strider? Nah, your probably a Brad Duncan kinda guy. Yeah, Brad Duncan for sure.

P.s. His fixed blades may not be to your taste, but i guarantee you a few well respected members probably own a couple and are proud to do so simply because of who he is and what he can do with steel. Even if you dont like the show that is fine, but your crapping where you eat, and that is never recommended. As for me, the show serves it true purpose which is entertainment. And it probably provides the Beggs with a source of income to help them ease into the transition of a new shop and its upstart costs. That Im all for. And Ill watch the show just to show respect and support a good person, and amazing maker.

First of all it's an entertainment show, NOT a show to teach you how to make knives. You want that, go pay for classes. Second of all, if you check out beggknives.com you will see what kind of work he really does. He has only been making custom knives until now where he is trying to expand his business creating semi-custom knives. And ALL American made mind you! He has all kinds of folding knives (which he is most known for) and fixed blades. He is an true artist and craftsman. He is very capable of creating fantasy knives in which he truly is commissioned to do sometimes by wealthy avid knife collectors. If you watch the show with the perspective of being entertained then you might get a kick out of it while getting to catch some glimpses of how some of the processes are done.
Lighten up, you judge without knowing the truth. Discovery would have done the same thing with anyone else. Hey, it's show business:p

Ok so I have been thinking about all of the negative posts as my day has gone on.

I have known Todd for about 10 years now and I consider him to be a very close friend. I talk to him almost every day and let me put a few things on the table that I would like the Naysayers to think about.

Todd's website can handle up to 400,000 users at one time viewing his site. Yes FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND PEOPLE at once. When the show aired @10pm EST it crashed 6 times due to maxing out on what the server could handle. Yes think about that again.... that means in less then half an hour over 400,000 people tired to view his site. That means 400k or more new people looking at custom knives, searching the web for custom knives, and buying custom knives. Todd's website took in over a MILLION hits before the show aired on the west cost.

Sit back and think about what this means for the entire knife world. Think about how many new buyers there will be and how this will effect the value of your knives that you make, collect, or sell. New buyers hitting the market.

Sure we would love to all see a documentary how to make knives but this is Discovery Channel they want a touch of drama going on. Knowing Todd as well as I do I am sure he hated that part of it. But you gotta do what you gotta do to make the director of the show happy. If someone were to do a show about the process of making a knife it could only be done once or there would be no viewers other than the small community that is us the knife collectors and makers. And I am sorry to say that is not what TV companies want. They want long term revenue.

Try to look at the big picture to what this will mean for everyone in the knife community.

You guys covered everything as far as my opinion goes.

Bottom line is I'm excited about any knifemaker (reality) show, regardless of how it's presented. :thumbup:

I wish they would show more actual knife making, maybe talk about the steel there using for the blade? Instead its another scripted reality show, that happens to show some nice knives. Im going to record it.

With Sons of Guns getting cancelled, it'd be nice to see this show get the attention it deserves.

Back