Recommendation? Blade Coatings-Diy/homemade/budget

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forums so if this thread already exists feel free to send me that way.
I’m pretty new to knife making and I’m looking for some advice on relatively durable coatings I can put on my blades that will stand up to hard use. Batoning, carving, whittling, chopping, etc
I’ve googled and googled and everything I find is articles on what the “pros” use. I’m not looking to do large scale production so investing in fancy equipment won’t work, and I’d rather not send my blades out to be coated by a company, so what can I do myself?
Is powder coating any good?
Can I color an epoxy and bake it on?
Can I polymerize oil kinda like a cast iron pan?
Just some thoughts I have floating around in my head.
I’m working mainly with 1095 if that helps.
Any advice is greatly appreciated

AVigil

Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind
Platinum Member
Powder coat is tough but with will come off with hard use.

A good solution is multi application of mustard to give it a good patina, it wears well and is easy for the user to touch up.

Why do you need a coating?
I just feel like it’s generally more cosmetically appealing, keeps the surface from rusting, and I’ve had matte finishes requested. I’ve done ceramic coating on some but I don’t believe it will have the durability im looking for

Powder coat is tough but with will come off with hard use.

A good solution is multi application of mustard to give it a good patina, it wears well and is easy for the user to touch up.

Thanks for that! I looked into the mustard patinas and it looks like one could get pretty creative with it. Would you recommend using vinegar in combination with it or just sticking to the mustard?

AVigil

Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind
Platinum Member
Thanks for that! I looked into the mustard patinas and it looks like one could get pretty creative with it. Would you recommend using vinegar in combination with it or just sticking to the mustard?
Mustard has the vinegar in it. Here is a sample of a couple I did
XiHvLsf.jpg

1ISGxEA.jpg

I just feel like it’s generally more cosmetically appealing, keeps the surface from rusting, and I’ve had matte finishes requested. I’ve done ceramic coating on some but I don’t believe it will have the durability im looking for
Only if you don t use that knife , if you use it it will fast become ugly ....leave steel as it is . I have some knives with hard chrome surface which is extremely hard and they still get some scratches .