Blade Finish Poll

TAH

Gold Member
I'm curious. Which finish do you prefer on your blades and why? Mirror, brushed/satin, bead blast, etc.?

Thanks,
Tom

Bead Blast!

I just like non-reflective blades....not really sure why.

It's my favorite blade finish from the Buck Custom Shoppe.

- Polished on a pocket, light-duty user (like a SAK) or on a "wall hanger". It just says "clean".

- For anything else, a finish that is functional AND matches the handles (I guess that should really be, the handles match the finish). I like Bead blast and/or coated in a "rugged use" blade.

I don't like brushed in a user becase it doesn't protect the blade and (to me) it isn't very rugged. I don't care for it in "art" or collector knifes because it doesn't look "finished".

YMMV

A well done hand rubbed finish is a thing of beauty.

Depends on the knife and its intended use, the steel, and the maker. Here's my favorites in the custom arena:

Working knives: D-2, 440V, S30V: Tony and Reese Bose ground finish. You can use them, and they come right back with a scotchbrite wheel.

Collecting only: ATS-34 Hand rubbed to such a fine finish you can't believe it was done by hand: Tom Overeynder, Rick Browne, Gene Shadley, Bill Ruple are all exceptional. But Rick Browne's blades and the entire knife have an incredible mirror finish.

Finest finish on a working steel: Tom Overeynder puts a hand rubbed, almost mirror finish on 440V that rivals most of what I've seen on ATS34. I can actually see my reflection in the one I have.

Stonewash or fine ceramic bead blast.

Both resist fingerprints, don't show scratches too much (the stonewash really doesn't), and can be cleaned and polished without ruining the finish too much.

-j

Danbo said:
A well done hand rubbed finish is a thing of beauty.

Amen. I spend too much time wiping fingerprints off anything mirror polished and bead blast is just fugly. If I'm worried about scratches on a user ( :confused: ), then Tungsten-DLC is the way to go.

satin, shows scratches "lightly" and is still nice to look at. Mirror, is nice, but once you really start using it, it becomes a little "unsightly". Brushed is okay, but satin is a nice "middle ground".

I'm not the biggest fan of a mirror-polished blade...but I did see a flat-ground bowie earlier this year that had been machine-polished to a flat-as-glass mirror finish, and bow was it shiny....just amazing. Like holding an actual mirror. But that's beyond the realm of most knifemakers.

I really like a fine scotchbrite or hand-rubbed finish. Has a certain mystical glow to it. Magical.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of a bead-blasted finish....seems pretty durable for when you don't want a shiny blade or a blued blade. Next time I see a unit on sale...I'll probably get one.

My second most favorite finish is an aged finish. Just love it.

On a traditional knife either satin or mirror for me.

Patina or coated for me - sheer practicality wins out. I do like mirror polished blade a lot, though. Oooooooo shiny!

Working knives: no frills satin finish.
Collectors: either satin or mirror - depends on the materials and quality of the knife.
Katanas, Wakizashi and Tantos: High satin/near mirror finish to show off the temper line.

Back