Blade for dinner plate

One very appreciated use of my EDC pocket knife is for cutting food at a restaurant, when a dull knife is offered, or no knife, or plastic knife.

I have often thought for that usage, a serrated blade would be helpful. Only the points of the serrations would touch the hard plate preserving the majority of the sharp cutting edge. A smooth blade would be dulled on a larger portion of the cutting edge.

In general I prefer smooth edges. When possible I have a smooth and serrated blade.

When only one large blade is on a knife, would fine serrations only near the point of a blade work for a general purpose blade? Usually when cutting on a plate only the outer region of the blade touches the plate.

I have not noticed this type of serrations. Usually the serrations are inboard, smooth near the tip.

I am most interested in your thoughts and experiences.

I will openly admit that I love Victorinox serrations. Most the work I do in the kitchen is done with the serrated edge paring knives, and I have a serrated edge recruit that has the mail blade full length serration. It has come handy many times on boats back when we were still living in Maryland and spent a lot of time on the Chesapeake Bay. But now its discontinued so I keep it back, and here in Texas we don't do much salt water boating.

My full time EDC these days is the Vic executive, and my big wish is that Victorinox would replace that semi useless orange peeler blade with a full serrated blade the same size as the regular man blade. That would turn it into a little pocket size slice and dice machine.

Victorinox does make a serrated blade with the serrations up front. I believe I saw it on one of the bigger new soldier models. Large spear blade with lock, and front serrations.

I carry and love my Executive and am one of the few that actually use and like the orange peeler blade.

But I would trade it for a full length serrated blade in a heartbeat.

I will do some more research for SAK front serrated blades.

Back