Blade HQ Issue

I recently ordered a Benchmade Griptillian from Blade HQ and it was listed under S30V steel. I got a 154cm version instead. Is it worth making a big deal out of and getting a refund? Is there that big of a difference between the steels?

I like 154CM for the ease of sharpening (some of my sharpest are 154CM) and polish-ability, but S30V will hold that sharp edge longer.
Depends on how much you use the knife day to day and how much that edge retention means to you.
For my uses I'll take the 154CM every time.

I’m 100% sure if you let them know what happened they’d fix it. So if the S30V model is what you wanted just send it back. I don’t think you’ll have to make a big deal out of it at all. That being said, their 154CM is good stuff, though.

I would absolutely let them know. In fact, @BladeHQ has pretty darn good customer service and I'm guessing they would want to know when mistakes like this happen.

I would agree. For them, this was just a timely glitch. I would just mail it back with a note, and I'll bet you get the correct example in a timely fashion with a letter of apology.

Since you are kindly offering advice, what would you do if a vendor accidentally sent you a better knife than you ordered?

I would notify them however since it likely was more and part of the reason I would notify with intent to swap vs intent to pay the difference.

Their book keeping might require returns regardless but I would aim to be without my new knife for as short a time as possible.

I would agree. For them, this was just a timely glitch. I would just mail it back with a note, and I'll bet you get the correct example in a timely fashion with a letter of apology.
No. Contact them first to see how to proceed. They are on the hook for any further shipping cost.

Is it the 550? I would definitely prefer the 154CM 550 Griptillian, since they're hollow ground unlike the S30V ones, that's just a personal preference.

I would notify them however since it likely was more and part of the reason I would notify with intent to swap vs intent to pay the difference.

Their book keeping might require returns regardless but I would aim to be without my new knife for as short a time as possible.

That's a stand up thing to do. I would imagine everyone here would do the same.

We're a community, right?!? Gotta stick together!

Back