Blade-Hunting in Barnsley

Jack Black

Seize the Lambsfoot! Seize the Day!
Platinum Member
The City of York may be Yorkshire’s ancient capital, Leeds it’s biggest city, and Sheffield was once it’s industrial heart, but arguably, there is nowhere in Yorkshire more Yorkshire than Barnsley. Once the quintessential Northern pit-town, Barnsley has sired more ‘Professional Yorkshiremen’ than any other place in ‘God’s Own County’. These sons of Barnsley “call a spade a spade”, argue over which butcher sells the best black pudding, are conservative to the point of being bigots, and none of them either lives anywhere near Barnsley, or has been “dahn t’pit” in a very long time.

BarnsleyArms.jpg

Barnsley is a small town, surrounded by smaller villages, with names that could have been designed by Edward Lear, and only sound even more comical when pronounced in the thick accent, at which even other Yorkshiremen giggle and often fail to comprehend. In Yorkshire, people traditionally talk in a sort of Olde English way, ‘thee’ and ‘thou’, for example, are still in standard use, if only in the roughened form of “thee” and “tha”.

When I was a schoolboy in Sheffield, we would sometimes go to play rugby against schools from the small towns and villages on the Sheffield side of Barnsley, where they would invariably have two tattooed coal-encrusted giants as the prop-forwards of the ‘under-15’s’ team. To our big city ears, the thick Barnsley accents sounded comical. For their part, the people of Barnsley refer to Sheffielders as “dee-da’s” because they say that they say “dee” and “da” instead of “thee” and “tha”. Since this is not actually true, it shows how poorly travelled, the people from this small town can be.

Barnsley was immortalised in Ken Loach’s film ‘Kes’, the story of a young rascal who trains a kestrel. For some, this film really will be a look into another world, and they may wish it had subtitles. When I watched it recently I was surprised at how ‘posh’ some of the supposed (and in many cases genuine) Barnsley accents were. I think they must have been toned down for the cinema since otherwise few outside Cud’orth or South Elmsell would have understood a word that was being said.

kes_450x300.jpg

Certainly the most amusing part of the film (one of the very few) is a scene where a vainglorious school PE (Physical Education) teacher takes to the football (soccer) field. The part is actually played brilliantly by ‘Professional Yorkshireman’ Brian Glover, who is one of the characters in the ‘An American Werewolf in London’ ‘Slaughtered Lamb’ scene featured in my Otley Run Giveaway thread!

Kes-Ken-Loach-Film-Review.jpg

As coal-miners, the men-folk of Barnsley led a hard life, with many dying young with their health broken, but in the 1970’s and early 1980’s they earned good money, and the town was prosperous as a result. With the destruction of the British coal industry, many have led an even harder life since than they did as pit-men, whole communities and pit-villages have been devastated, and the coal-dust was replaced with the evil brown dust; heroin. A whole generation had to live without work since with the mines gone, there was nothing else, and the young turned to ‘smack’ just as some of their fathers may have done; Barnsley was awash with it.

Barnsley is a poor town today, many of its old ways and traditions gone forever, but it is showing some small signs of recovery, at least compared to a decade ago, even if today’s young man may think himself lucky to get a job in a call-centre or supermarket, rather than working at the coal-face next to his dad. The ambitious leave the town as soon as they are old enough.

One of the few things that hasn’t changed massively in Barnsley is its market. The indoor market looks not unlike Sheffield market did in the 1960’s, while the open-air market thrives like few others in the region. Tuesday is flea-market day, and I decided to go over to it in search of seax, and meet up there with an old pal from Sheffield; Scooby.

I’ve known Scooby since we were both apprentices; me an apprentice mechanic, and he an apprentice electronics engineer at British Steel’s then-booming Sheffield Stocksbridge plant (where he once managed to accidentally dump more than a Million Pound’s worth of steel by pressing the wrong button)! Scooby loves a rummage in a flea-market or car-boot sale – a bit too much judging from his bulging garage the last time I visited him at home.

After meeting up with my old pal on a bitterly cold platform at Barnsley train station, we proceeded directly to the open-air flea-market. Winter is not the best time for such things obviously, there are generally fewer customers and fewer stalls, but still the market was bustling.

The first section of stalls certainly had a lot of junk on them, but it really was just junk, but to be fair, everything was very cheap. I rummaged through a few boxes hoping to spot something of interest and scanned the pitches with a knife-hungry eye. There was nothing to be seen though.

As we moved onto the next section of the market however, I immediately spotted a stall with a case in which there were a multitude of knives on display. This was exciting. A pleasant, chatty stall-holder allowed me to examine his wares, but even before he had opened the glass display case I realised that most of its contents weren’t worth further inspection. There were a lot of modern junk knives and Richards (of Sheffield) knives from the 70’s and 80’s, many of them miniatures. Closer examination of some of the other pointy fare revealed wobbly blades, imitation stag and bone handles, and stainless steel which carried no other mark than that. There was far less to the collection than at first met the eye, and they were all overpriced.

The stall-holder was not in the least put out that I was not interested in purchasing anything, and we chatted for a while about old Sheffield knives and such. Taking me for a local, he asked if I knew an old feller who bought a lot of items from him. I didn’t at all, but it then occurred to me that there is perhaps a higher level of interest in old Sheffield pocket knives in South Yorkshire than there is might be elsewhere in the county, and higher prices may be one of the consequences. I started to think of Otley with a new appreciation, slightly.

After leaving the stall, Scooby remembered he had a present for me, and produced from his pocket, with a conjuror’s flourish, an object which had me baffled as to what it was. Normally, if I get a gift from Scooby it’s a small torch, a multi-tool, or some other useful and practical item. This object however was quite different. It consisted of rings of thin brass-wire, some ornamented with coloured beads, and all linked together, a bit like an old-fashioned hairnet. Scooby proceeded to demonstrate its apparent function, which I can only describe as some sort of fidgeting device. By manipulating the wire, it could be formed, and allowed to spring, into different shapes. It reminded me, oddly enough, of a Rubik’s Cube, though with even less purpose. I don’t consider myself to be entirely bereft of an artistic soul, but I tend to appreciate things in practical terms, and the point of what I’ve temporarily christened ‘The Scooby Thing’ is somewhat lost on me I have to say. I’ll post a few pics below, and I would love to hear from anyone who knows what this is called, or even what it actually IS.

We returned to bargain-hunting and looked round more stalls. A slightly posh lady selling jewellery had a glass display case in which I spotted two silver Sheffield fruit knives, but she didn’t seem to want to let me look at them. Perhaps noticing my agile gait, she thought I would sprint off with one of them! I asked if she knew who they were made by, she didn’t, but oddly could tell me exactly which year each one was supposedly made. She also told me her asking price, which immediately caused me to lose complete interest, as it was, frankly, ridiculous.

After looking round a few more of the outdoor stalls, we decided to go into the indoor market, which was also busy. A long-established stall sold items of Yorkshire nostalgia, with a fantastic selection of old photographs on display. The proprietor was friendly and happy to chat about his wares and his interest in local history irrespective of any purchase being made.

A stall selling cast iron goods; hearth tools and ornaments, caught my interest. The prices were very reasonable and I purchased several items, including this flying-pig door-stop.

Going back outside to the flea-market, I spotted a stall selling horse-brasses and trivets, old coins, and a few old hand tools. In a guarded wooden box, I spotted a few old safety razors and a couple of old straights. The first straight razor was in a sorry state, and I quickly lost interest in it. Beside it was a box bearing the name ‘Bismarck Razor’. The stall-holder told me it contained a German razor. I gave it a cursory inspection, and when he dropped the price, I handed over a £10 note. When I inspected the razor later however, I found that it was an old Sheffield model, made by J.W Meeson & Son. The box belonged to a different razor altogether.

Leaving the market, we went to a small independent hardware store, which is often the source of bargains. They had some simple, sharp paring knives, priced at only 20p, but I have plenty of good kitchen knives. Along with a few other items, I bought a couple of Waiter’s Friends, for only 50p each (half a £ Sterling). I’ve since seen the same model on sale in Leeds for £15 – Barnsley folk aren’t mugs!

As I was standing at the till waiting to pay, an old woman came in and said, “Have you any big spiders?” I’m not entirely sure what she was after, but completely dead-pan the woman behind the till replied, “Not here, we haven’t, but we’ve got plenty at home, especially in the cellar.” The joke was clearly lost on the prospective ‘spider’ customer, and she pursued the purchase, but left happy enough without it, while I shared chuckles with the shop-staff.

Many English towns give their name to a food item, there’s the York ham and the Eccles cake for example. Barnsley has a double pork chop named after it, but in these hard economic times, I doubt that they grace too many dinner tables. Scooby, who as the Yorkshire saying goes is not mean, he’s “careful”, took me to a shop where they sold two meat pies or two sausage rolls for £1. I wasn’t hungry, but Scooby shared a brace of pies with his dog, they looked pretty disgusting, even the dog didn’t look impressed. Sausage rolls are a British institution, but they have absolute nothing in common with the great sausages of the world. Rather, they are some sort of greasy pink-grey substance encased in even greasier pastry. They are as popular in Barnsley as everywhere else in Britain though (inexplicably), I was once subjected to the riveting conversation of half a dozen Barnsley school-girls talking about nothing but sausage rolls for 45 minutes on a train journey from Leeds to Sheffield. I cannot say I was tempted to go and buy one.

We returned to the market for one last stab at finding some slipjoints. Passing the first stall I had been to, I noticed a new knife had been added to the display case. I also noticed a different bloke was now sitting behind it. Scooby whispered that he was a well-known rogue trader who’d rob the dead, and I bore this in mind. The new knife was a stockman. The new trader told me it had pearl handles, they were clearly plastic. I had a quick look at it, the blades were stainless and blunt, and the only mark was “stainless steel” stamped on the tang of one of the blades. I handed the knife back.

As the afternoon wore on, the temperature dropped still further, and it was getting a bit ‘parky’, so we decided to call it a day and go our separate ways. I returned to Leeds with no more slipjoints than the one I set out with (not counting the small blades on the Waiter’s Friends), but I’d got a few things of interest, and when (if) the warmer weather comes next year, I might hazard another trip over to Barnsley town.

It was only on the train home that I realised I’d forgotten to buy a bottle or two of Henderson’s Relish, the Sheffield-made condiment which these days is perhaps the only ‘black stuff’ South Yorkshire produces.

91210.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry Pertinux, I included some waddling for you, but my post was too long and I had to edit it out. Maybe next time :)

Thanks for your post Jack. Really enjoy your insights into English life.

- Christian

Brilliant read and write my good man. I enjoy reading your posts immensely!

The "Scooby Thing" looks to be a Buckminster Fuller geodesic lattice shell structure. Its a structural principle he used to explore and develop his design theories. Its called Tensegrity, tensional integrity or floating compression, a structural principle based on the use of isolated components in compression inside a net of continuous tension.

Thanks for the stories Jack, most enjoyable. I confess to only knowing Yorkshire through reading James Herriott's books when I was a young teen.

Many thanks for reading and for all your kind words gentlemen :)

Excellent Jack. An enjoyable read. Bill Bryson look out :) I think a few of your picture links need altering they aren't working here.

Thanks a lot Steve, appreciate the help.

there are a lot of small towns like that in the united states also.

I'd love to hear about some of them, I really enjoy hearing the tales that people tell hear, particularly Carl of course. I often think that the people of Birmingham, Alabama, would be very interested to read about Birmingham in the English West Midlands, and vice-versa.

Brilliant read and write my good man. I enjoy reading your posts immensely!

The "Scooby Thing" looks to be a Buckminster Fuller geodesic lattice shell structure. Its a structural principle he used to explore and develop his design theories. Its called Tensegrity, tensional integrity or floating compression, a structural principle based on the use of isolated components in compression inside a net of continuous tension.

Thank you Gevonovich for your scholarly answer to my inquiry. Only on this forum I think! Incredible. Thanks again :)

Excuse my ignorance (I am an American, after all), but I have constantly been seeing articles about severe English laws concerning knives and other tools. I am a bit surprised to see straight razors, sheath knives and folding knives so openly displayed and sold. I wonder if there was any supervision of purchases, age limits for purchase, licenses or permits required. What restrictions, if any, apply?
Faiaoga

Excuse my ignorance (I am an American, after all), but I have constantly been seeing articles about severe English laws concerning knives and other tools. I am a bit surprised to see straight razors, sheath knives and folding knives so openly displayed and sold. I wonder if there was any supervision of purchases, age limits for purchase, licenses or permits required. What restrictions, if any, apply?
Faiaoga

Hi Faiaoga,

It's certainly not a question of ignorance, the law here is confusing and confused. There are a few styles of knives which it is prohibited to either sell or own, these include automatics, push-daggers, butterfly knives, and 'stealth knives'. Other knives can be offered for sale to anyone over the age of 18 and legally owned. It's in carrying these knives that things get confusing. For example, when I bought my razor, it was in a box and I put it into my bag. While it would be unlawful for me to be waving it about in a bar, or even to be carrying it in my pocket in most circumstances (possibly if I were a barber and on my way home, I could talk my way out of it), in this case I had a "lawful excuse" for carrying the razor because I had just purchased it and was taking it home. The same thing would be true if I'd purchased a knife, even a machete or axe. There are obviously other circumstances in which I might also have a lawful excuse to be carrying what would otherwise be construed as an "offensive weapon".

With regard to the carrying of small pocket knives with a cutting-edge of under 3 inches, the law, as drafted, says that you may carry one, either of locking or slipjoint design (though if you were waving it around in a bar it would still be classed as an "offensive weapon"). However, some years ago, an overzealous prosecutor argued that there was effectively no difference between a locking folder (which locks automatically) and a fixed blade knife. The judge sitting on this case (which must have been a very minor one), ruled in his favour. So for some years now we have a situation where case law and the judge's ruling bans the carrying of lock-knives (except where it can be argued that there is a legitimate reason for needing one), and nobody has ever challenged that ruling in the courts.

It has got more and more difficult for the knife user here, with cases of people even being arrested for carrying small SAKs, due to police ignorance of the law. Few people therefore still carry a knife routinely - though of course criminals who carry them as weapons carry them anyway. In such circumstances, it's hardly surprising that the British knife industry has all but disappeared.

Sorry Pertinux, I included some waddling for you, but my post was too long and I had to edit it out. Maybe next time :)

Ah, thanks! The thought counts enough, but that you actually made the effort? Grand.

I did laugh out loud when I came upon this:
I started to think of Otley with a new appreciation, slightly.

"Slightly."

:D

Another fine story, well-told, with pictures to pull it all together. Thanks!

~ P.

I've got one of those pearl-handled sterling-bladed fruit knives my sister got me years ago. You can tell the age by the hallmarks.
Poor Barnsley- so they were still thriving at the time of the Monty Python scetch: "Someday you'll understand that there's more to life than culture!"

Ah, thanks! The thought counts enough, but that you actually made the effort? Grand.

I did laugh out loud when I came upon this:

"Slightly."

:D

Another fine story, well-told, with pictures to pull it all together. Thanks!

~ P.

Thanks P :thumbup: The paragraph in question originally read as follows:

After meeting up with my old pal on a bitterly cold platform at Barnsley train station, we proceeded directly to the open-air flea-market. Winter is not the best time for such things obviously, there are generally fewer customers and fewer stalls, but still the market was bustling (there may have even been the odd waddle P! ;).

I'm not quite at the 'waddling' stage yet, but I embarked on a lightning raid to the old West-Yorkshire mill-town of Dewsbury this afternoon, and along with a severely over-priced 'snake belt' I nostalgically bought for my mate's little lad, I came back with something quite interesting. I'm just loading up the pics now. Will post a seperate thread about that though (but I'll spare you all my ramblings about Dewsbury). :)

Jack, thanks for the read :) Another great tale, Sir! I really like your stories

Make fun of the Yorkshire accent though we might, I seem to recall that it was voted Britain's favorite. I've always liked it. And next time I have occasion to wander around one of the small towns around here and look for slip joints, I'll write it up.

Jack, thanks for the read :) Another great tale, Sir! I really like your stories

Thanks Andi :)

Make fun of the Yorkshire accent though we might, I seem to recall that it was voted Britain's favorite. I've always liked it. And next time I have occasion to wander around one of the small towns around here and look for slip joints, I'll write it up.

Yorkshire's Britain's biggest county, so it was probably all Yorkshire folk doing the counting/voting! Apparently Russell Crow was attempting it in the bizarre Ridley Scott Robin Hood re-make released a couple of years back. I would absolutely love to read your reports on slipjoint-hunting in small-town Texas James :) Really look forward to that :thumbup:

I've got one of those pearl-handled sterling-bladed fruit knives my sister got me years ago. You can tell the age by the hallmarks.
Poor Barnsley- so they were still thriving at the time of the Monty Python scetch: "Someday you'll understand that there's more to life than culture!"

Yeah, you wouldn't think it could have gone downhill since then would you?! :D

Great post Jack Black, and a trip down memory lane for me.

My late grandfather was a Yorkshireman, born and bred in Barnsley. His family have owned a few buisnesses there, a barbers shop, hotel, bakery and a cafe, the barbers shop and hotel are long gone but i believe the bakery and cafe are still in the family.

My great grandfather was a miner before retiring with ill health and setting up the barbers shop. My grandfather left Barnsley when he left school (he didn't want to go down the pit, and his father didn't want him to) and went to work at Gleneagles hotel and golf course in Scotland before getting a job with the Prudential Assurance Co just before War. He continued with Prudential after the war, which was when he moved to my hometown.

Great post Jack Black, and a trip down memory lane for me.

My late grandfather was a Yorkshireman, born and bred in Barnsley. His family have owned a few buisnesses there, a barbers shop, hotel, bakery and a cafe, the barbers shop and hotel are long gone but i believe the bakery and cafe are still in the family.

My great grandfather was a miner before retiring with ill health and setting up the barbers shop. My grandfather left Barnsley when he left school (he didn't want to go down the pit, and his father didn't want him to) and went to work at Gleneagles hotel and golf course in Scotland before getting a job with the Prudential Assurance Co just before War. He continued with Prudential after the war, which was when he moved to my hometown.

Thanks BM, and thanks for your own interesting tale. At least one of my own great-grandfather's was a miner, but I don't know at which pit. As a boy, my grandfather's younger brother had a job collapsing old mine shafts, where he would basically pull out pit props and run down the shaft as it collapsed! I don't blame your grandfather for not wanting to go down the pit, every miner I know thought it a rotten job if they were honest, they were proud of their hard work, but it killed many of them. By coincidence, I was looking at a collection of old National Union of Mineworkers badges in Dewsbury market today, and also saw a Bevan Boy medal in a collector's shop in Leeds.

Best wishes

Jack

Back