1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Blade inlay etch? Designs

Discussion in 'H.I. Cantina' started by SteveAus, Feb 10, 2015.

1. SteveAus

SteveAus Banned BANNED

Sep 3, 2014
    Hi, I'm interested in seeing some different carved designs on their Khukuris, the designs that run along the top of the blade and stop at the bend. Also was wondering if it is possible to ask for a specific design when ordering a custom knife from Auntie? sorry if this thread has been done before i was unable to find one.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  2. Bawanna

Bawanna Moderator Moderator

Dec 19, 2012
    Dr Bookie would be a fine resource for this question. He recently got his very special M43 with requested writing in Devanagari along the spine. Brilliant idea from a brilliant doctor (please put the dang voodoo dolls away doc).

Makes a special knife even more special due to the writing/script.

Maybe he'll even post some more pictures. I know I enjoys looking at them.

3. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    The best person to ask would be Aunt Yangdu. It would probably be special order with the wait time and costs expected of such.

4. SteveAus

SteveAus Banned BANNED

Sep 3, 2014
    Yes I understand it would be special order wait times and extra cost Etc. I was more interested to see some of the designs that other people have on their blades, I like the markings the different Kami etch into the blade and want to keep my design close to something along those lines.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  5. Bookie

Bookie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2014
    G'day, Steve. As Bawanna said, I have a custom M43SB with special "engraving". I liked that feature after viewing old khuks purchased from AC/IMA. (Yet another HI Special is in the works.) As Karda explained, I contacted Mrs. Martino about the feasibility of having Nepalese writing (more properly known as Devanagari and often just called Nagari) applied along the spine. She honored my request and here is what she presented me. I love this thing!

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

It did take a while for her to deliver the most badass khuk you ever saw, but actually not really that long of wait. Think carefully what you want written because for some words, there is no direct translation between English to Nepalese or words do not exist. If you do this, DO NOT tell Ndoghouse what it is. He enjoys sleuthing out the Devanagari words or phrases and then wowing us with his often correct findings. What is coming on my next blade is something that almost every single individual on this forum has used, with the exception of me.....and I guarantee that it is SPECIAL to me. Cheers, Bookie

6. DarthTaco123

DarthTaco123

Mar 28, 2013
    You get Nagari corn patch?

7. Bookie

Bookie Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 25, 2014
    No. Wanted something that had nothing to do with me or mine. Kamidog still ain't figured it out though.

8. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Steve:

I've only seen a few postings about designs carved along the top of the spine. Mostly Devangari, as in Bookie's example. However, there have been many postings with pictures of HI khukuris that have elaborate designs (such as dragons) carved on the sides of the blades or the handles. If you're interested in that, I have one very nice specimen that I could post, and others might do the same.

In answer to your other question, yes, you can ask for a specific design. Be very clear about desired dimensions, weight, handle material, etc. Minimally you should provide one or more detailed drawings (unless your design is just a simple variation on a standard model). Yangdu will have to decide whether it is practical for a kami to make your design, and what it might cost. Be prepared for a long wait, but it will be worth it. :)

-- Dave

9. SteveAus

SteveAus Banned BANNED

Sep 3, 2014
    Thanks guys for the info and that carving along the spine is really nice however I think I must have explained what I meant poorly, I am was trying to describe the design that runs along the flat part of the blade from the handle to the bend in the blade. I've notice a lot of the Kami will do their own personal designs and patterns. Hope this makes more sense I can't seem to post photos from my phone so can't show what I mean.

10. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
  11. Karda

Karda Banned BANNED

Jun 1, 2007
    I do believe that Steve #15 is referring to the sword of shiva and would like his own pattern.

12. SteveAus

SteveAus Banned BANNED

Sep 3, 2014
    Wow that dragon is amazing looks like a lot of work has been put into that piece of art, however it's still not what I was trying to describe, Maybe it's "The sword of Shiva". In the recent DOTD there is a Gopte by Dhan which as what I am talking about.

13. cul4u01

cul4u01 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2012
    I can say that at the time in which I ordered and got my engraved SMTD AK, and UBE, auntie didn't charge me anything extra; however, the wait was a little lengthy, which was no problem since I was in no rush, and the results were well worth the wait. Whether there is a charge for engravings, or not, now, is another matter, and a question, that only auntie can answer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Dhan does an ornate one sometimes with a rising sun at the shoulder of the blade. Really nice looking and desirable i might add. I dont see why they wouldnt be able to do a custom sword of shiva?
    Heres the "Sword of Shiva" on a Yuvraj YCS with brass inlays. Some have brass some dont. Some models come standard with the inlays like the Sirupati and Chtlangi. Some are more simple but the design seems to be model specific more than Kami specific.

[​IMG]

15. cul4u01

Dec 5, 2012
    I agree with Ndog, I've noticed that too.

16. philllll

philllll Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2013
    Here's another for you to consider

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. cul4u01

Dec 5, 2012
    Isn't that the one made by Rajkumar? Beautiful!!!:eek:

18. philllll

philllll Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2013
    Yeah it's the Rajkumar. Here is the handle:

[​IMG]

19. SinePari

SinePari

Oct 24, 2013
    That's a gorgeous little trinket of craftsmanship Philberto.... Absolutely amazing!

20. Gehazi

Gehazi

Jun 30, 2013
    phil, you want to sell this to me, these are not the droids you are looking for.