blade length

Can anyone help me? How do you measure blde length? Is it from the point to the handle, point to the end of the edge(riccasso) or the length of the cutting edge? HELP!

Gary

Different jurisdictions = different interpretations of blade length. Some specify that the length of the cutting edge is the blade length. Most probably measure from the handle to the tip, in a straight line, but the fly in that ointment is that some knifes have no separate handles, or handles that are far back from the cutting edge. The Texas Penal Code does not specify how to measure blade length, but since the limit in TX is 5.5", I have little worry since I rarely carry a knive with a blade longer than 4.5". ( I am speaking here from a civilian point of view, but, being a peace officer, I can carry my biggest Bowie or brush sword legally. ) ;)

I looked at your profile, and seeing you live in California, I believe you will have little legal problem carrying anything that can be defined as a "normal" folding pocket knife. Cold Steel used to advertise their largest monster folders as being California legal. Make sure that you check on RECENT laws, because there have been major changes in California's knife laws in the last few years. Just DO NOT carry ANY size fixed blade knife CONCEALED in California!!!!

Thank you all for your replys but my problem is this; even though california does not specify a length the various cities around Los Angeles do. I have been told that the max length for LA proper is 3.5 in and a lot of my knives are close to that length. It all depends on how you measure them

Gary

Someone definitely has wrong information. Here's the applicable sections of the Los Angeles Municipal Code:

SEC. 55.10. CARRY KNIVES OR DAGGERS IN PLAIN VIEW PROHIBITED.
(Added by Ord. No. 162,995, Eff. 1/7/88.)
(a) As used in this section, the term “knife” or “dagger” shall include any knife, dirk or dagger having a blade 3 inches or more in length, any ice pick or similar sharp tool, any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle.
(b) No person shall wear or carry in plain view any knife or dagger upon any public street or other public place or in any place open to the public.
(c) The prohibitions of this section shall not apply where a person is wearing or carrying a knife or dagger for use in a lawful occupation, for lawful recreational purposes, or as a recognized religious practice, or while the person is traveling to or returning from participation in such activity.

So:
- The restricted knives are 3" and over.
- The restriction only applies to knives carried or worn openly. You can assume that if a police officer can see any part of your knife, that you can be considered to be carrying openly (although this is not defined in the law).
- There is an exception for openly carried knives 3" and over for lawful occupational, recreational, or religious purposes. These terms are not defined anywhere.
- The L.A. law applies to all knives, not just folders.

This means:
- You can carry a folder of any length in L.A. so long as it's entirely concealed and is legal under state law (i.e., typical thumb-opening locking folder that's carried closed)(See Jim March's California knife law site for a good discussion of state law).
- You can carry a folder or fixed blade of less than 3" in L.A. openly.
- You can carry a folder or fixed blade of 3" or more in L.A. openly if it has a lawful occupational, recreational, or religious purpose. But you will have to prove your purpose if confronted.

Most local LEOs are not very knowledgable about the knife laws on either a state or local level. Most LEOs will tell you off the record the advice, "Don't give us a reason to notice you and we'll leave you alone." You may or may not agree with this unwritten policy, but it's true so plan accordingly. If you tend to attract attention, you have more of a reason to follow the knife laws to the letter.

Regards,

Johnny

Johnny,

Thanks for taking the time to straighten out my misconceptions. I thought it was 3.5 in and the other way around. I guess I forget about the clip and just put it in my pocket. Thanks I am reallllllly
glad I opened this thread

gary

North Carolina is alittle different, thank God..:D

SUBCHAPTER IX. OFFENSES AGAINST THE PUBLIC PEACE.
Article 35.
Offenses Against the Public Peace.
§ 14-269. Carrying concealed weapons.
(a)It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and
intentionally to carry concealed about his person any bowie
knife, dirk, dagger, slung shot, loaded cane, metallic knuckles,
razor, shurikin, stun gun, or other deadly weapon of like kind,
except when the person is on the person's own premises.
(a1)It shall be unlawful for any person willfully and
intentionally to carry concealed about his person any pistol or
gun except in the following circumstances:
(1) The person is on the person's own premises.
(2) The deadly weapon is a handgun, and the person has
a concealed handgun permit issued in accordance
with Article 54B of this Chapter.
(b) This prohibition shall not apply to the following
persons:
(1) Officers and enlisted personnel of the armed forces
of the United States when in discharge of their
official duties as such and acting under orders
requiring them to carry arms and weapons;
(2) Civil and law enforcement officers of the United
States while in the discharge of their official
duties;
(3) Officers and soldiers of the militia and the
national guard when called into actual service;
(4) Officers of the State, or of any county, city, or
town, charged with the execution of the laws of the
State, when acting in the discharge of their
official duties;
(5) Sworn law-enforcement officers, when off-duty, if:
a. Written regulations authorizing the carrying
of concealed weapons have been filed with the
clerk of superior court in the county where
the law-enforcement unit is located by the
sheriff or chief of police or other superior
officer in charge; and
b. Such regulations specifically prohibit the
carrying of concealed weapons while the
officer is consuming or under the influence of
alcoholic beverages.
(b1)It is a defense to a prosecution under this section that:
(1) The weapon was not a firearm;
(2) The defendant was engaged in, or on the way to or
from, an activity in which he legitimately used the
weapon;
(3) The defendant possessed the weapon for that
legitimate use; and
(4) The defendant did not use or attempt to use the
weapon for an illegal purpose.
The burden of proving this defense is on the defendant.
(c) Any person violating the provisions of subsection (a) of
this section shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. Any
person violating the provisions of subsection (a1) of this
section shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor for the first
offense. A second or subsequent offense is punishable as a Class
I felony.

(d) This section does not apply to an ordinary pocket knife
carried in a closed position. As used in this section, "ordinary
pocket knife" means a small knife, designed for carrying in a
pocket or purse, that has its cutting edge and point entirely
enclosed by its handle, and that may not be opened by a
throwing, explosive, or spring action.
(Code, s. 1005; Rev., s.
3708; 1917, c. 76; 1919, c. 197, s. 8; C.S., s. 4410; 1923, c.
57; Ex. Sess. 1924, c. 30; 1929, cc. 51, 224; 1947, c. 459;
1949, c. 1217; 1959, c. 1073, s. 1; 1965, c. 954, s. 1; 1969, c.
1224, s. 7; 1977, c. 616; 1981, c. 412, s. 4; c. 747, s. 66;
1983, c. 86; 1985, c. 432, ss. 1-3; 1993, c. 539, s. 163; 1994,
Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c); 1995, c. 398, s. 2; 1997-238, s. 1.)

I used to do a lot of traveling to different states and upon reading the links at the beginning of this forum I realized that I BROKE a lot of laws. Just happy i look innocent;) ;)

thanks a lot for everyones input. You made my maiden voyage a pleasurable and enlightening experience.

Gary

Back