Blade material.

As far as non-Steels go is there a "material" other than flint or obsidian that are used as knife blades? :confused:

Probably not what you are looking for, and you probably already know these, but... wood and bone.

Oh, and 420J2. That's not a steel, is it? :p

Non steel is also titanium, zirconium, cobalt and bronze. And IIRC, I've seen knives made out of silver (used by pharmacists to prepare stuff from plants). But I guess what you really meant is non metallic knives, so I'd put here the "G" familly: (G-10, G-11 aso.), Carbon fibre, Zytel (and equivalents).

Yeah,I really should have posted "non-metallic" and organic.Sorry! :foot:

There are some high-tech copper alloys (brasses and bronzes basically) that always sounded like they would make cool knives. Phosphor bronze and beryllium copper both come in spring temper strips. Something like these could be much less inclined to bend than ancient bronze.

I guess nobody mentioned titanium alloys, but those are somewhat "common". There are also the cobalt alloys such as talonite.

DGG

Sharks teeth have been imbedded in wood to make a cutting edge. Many kinds of rock and stone are used. Jade is a popular knife material because of its toughness and ability to be sharpened.

Got lapel daggers made out of some super tough plastic or carbon fiber I think,I'll dig 'em out and find out for sure.Was kinda' hopin' for a material along the lines of flint,igneous.
Know about and have,the cobalt and titanium alloyed knives.
Obviously,brittleness is the biggest factor here.
Ceramics,I feel still need bugs worked out,still,probably should get one for firsthand experience,Boker,IIRC,markets them.I was talkin' to TJT,the Boker dude on the Boker forum,to confirm composition in the ceramics,I knew the ceramics they had were silver and titanium,he confirmed this and added they were part of the ingredients.
But I was looking for a flint-like material,shale probably wouldn't work for a knife,maybe a hawk.
Actually,what I'm looking for is Rustic. :eek: :cool: :D

There are some "X-Ray" proof knives, made of some kind of plastic, like zytel or polymer...

Regards,

Andre Tiba - Brazil

Polymers.Yep.That's what the lapel daggers are,says to sharpen them back to razor sharpness with finer sandpapers. :)
Pointy!

almtiba said:
There are some "X-Ray" proof knives, made of some kind of plastic, like zytel or polymer...

Regards,

Andre Tiba - Brazil

Metal detector proof maybe, but not x-ray proof.

DGG, I can't think of a nastier sword than one made with sharks teeth. I've seen them and they have a continuous line of sharks teeth along the edge. Sharks teeth are triangular and serrated !!!

Modern Great White teeth are extremely sharp and as was mentioned, serrated, you could definitely do some damage with a GW tooth if you had to. :)

It is also my understanding that in ancient times, Megalodon teeth, which are basically gigantic GW teeth, from a giant shark that lived about 10 million years ago, were used as weapons and cutting tools by primitive man.

Here's a pic of a modern GW tooth, as you can see, it is very sharp.

m214b.jpg

Meg tooth, also very sharp and bigger.

m130b.jpg