Blade of the Shinobi (darkened edge and tip)

I have heard tell of an ancient shinobi practice of dipping blades into a substance (after sharpening) in order to darken the edge and tip of the blade. Combined with coating the steel itself this would prevent the blade from reflecting light at all. Very stealthy and very interesting - anyone has any idea of a good substance to accomplish this with a modern steel?

Ronin Tactics does this to one of their signature knives, the "Ronin Tanto". Has a really cool look and seems obviously useful for a pure fighting blade.

Last edited:
First, you can post the image without the link to the Facebook page. That facebook page post had a link to purchase from a non-supporting knifemaker, which is against the rules, as is asking someone to click a link.

You should remove that link and just put the pic up.

Otherwise, Ferric Chloride will do that to carbon steels.

Furthermore, how is the "obviously useful" for a pure fighting blade?
There aren't many people going around under cover of darkness assassinating people with a knife, in the current time that we live in.

On top of that, a knife in an altercation is generally a deterrence, and not actually used. If that is the case, a blade that is harder to see would be not useful, obviously (see what I did there?)...

Looks gun blued to me.

....Just like the ninjas traditionally used to do, or something.

I checked out that link, and that is the most pretentious way to say that you blued your blade I've ever imagined.

Looks gun blued to me.

....Just like the ninjas traditionally used to do, or something.

I checked out that link, and that is the most pretentious way to say that you blued your blade I've ever imagined.
Thanks for the replies. Would gun bluing and Ferric Chloride both preserve the edge?

Personally, I don't really like the idea of getting the knife out and showing it.

You can blue the edge and it would indeed prevent rust, however, sharpening would remove the bluing.
This generally only applies to carbon steels.

Stainless steels can be difficult to get an even, dark finish, but I've acheived acceptable results with a Hydrochloric acid/hydrogen peroxide bath and cold blue. I have also seen products on the market to blacken stainless, but the mixture is propriatary and I have no idea what's in it.

Last edited:
You can blue the edge and it would indeed prevent rust, however, sharpening would remove the bluing.
This generally only applies to carbon steels.

Stainless steels can be difficult to get an even, dark finish, but I've acheived acceptable results with a Hydrochloric acid/hydrogen peroxide bath and cold blue. I have also seen products on the market to blacken stainless, but the mixture is propriatary and I have no idea what's in it.
The Blade itself has a PVD coating... do you think a dip into a bluing solution or acid wash would be harmful to that at all?

The Blade itself has a PVD coating... do you think a dip into a bluing solution or acid wash would be harmful to that at all?

Cold bluing won't have an effect on PVD. I don't think acid would either, but I would go with blueing before applying acid to an edge.

Is the knife in question stainless or carbon?

Back