Recommendation? Blade Play Brand New 4 max Scout

I just purchased the 4max last week. Mine drops free and no blade play. Mine has two dings in the edge from hitting the back spring or something metal in the handle. The dings are in the belly of the blade. Not the best QC on this one either.

Did you get the Elite or Scout?

I use Break Free around the pivot without dissembling the knife. Seems like I had to tighten my new AD10 just a smidge. Now the blade doesnt drop quite as freely, but the lockup is vault solid. I like the action that way.
I don t think a folder with a freely dropping blade on lock release, that has barely detectable side to side play is optimal. It will probably work fine for a long time, but I feel better with a solid lockup. (I recently had to adjust a new sprint run PM2 with this same “problem”.)

I just received another Scout I got for my son and it's perfect just like my first one. I'm not sure maybe try another vendor like mentioned maybe they got a bad batch or something.

I just received another Scout I got for my son and it's perfect just like my first one. I'm not sure maybe try another vendor like mentioned maybe they got a bad batch or something.

I appreciate the feedback. I’ll probably just contact CS, they seem to be pretty good about handling this stuff.

It’s filmed on my phone, may not have picked up everything I can see.

Would you return this?

I think I'd just tighten it up and let it wear in like a lot of knives have to be. I haven't taken a part my Scout yet do you know if it has bronze washers or not. You could quite possibly put some in the scout if not. I'm not much of a tinkerer with anything or I'd check it out.

I used to have a Grayman Satu and it was on bronze washers and I've never owned a folder with an action so slick. Another thing is the Triad lock isn't going to be like most folders in the action department, so there's that.

It's a great knife and design heck I'd like to have a couple more really at the current price point.I do have a son in law that owns a landscaping bussiness so that scout would probably fit right in and be a nice gift as well.

It has both bronze and teflon. The teflon was against the blade on mine.

Yeah honestly I got it for what I think is a great price at $86 before shipping so I was wary that maybe they were selling some with tolerance issues or something that’s why I have been trying to be so thorough.

It is a great knife, love everything else about it. I just can’t figure out what would cause lateral blade play like that. Maybe that’s all it needs is tightening and letting it break in.

The liners are awesome, fit so snuggly they had to be lined up perfect to get back on.

Last edited:
It has both bronze and teflon. The teflon was against the blade on mine.

Yeah honestly I got it for what I think is a great price at $86 before shipping so I was wary that maybe they were selling some with tolerance issues or something that’s why I have been trying to be so thorough.

It is a great knife, love everything else about it. I just can’t figure out what would cause lateral blade play like that. Maybe that’s all it needs is tightening and letting it break in.

The liners are awesome, fit so snuggly they had to be lined up perfect to get back on.

knifeworks is a great dealer. I don't think they sells the knife for a lower price because of some issue with the knife. I bought this knife at that price and it's been rock solid without any issues whatsoever.

knifeworks is a great dealer. I don't think they sells the knife for a lower price because of some issue with the knife. I bought this knife at that price and it's been rock solid without any issues whatsoever.

That’s good to know, I’ve never ordered from them before. Maybe it’ll be worth sending back once more.

Mine has gaps, and it will flex some with pressure, but I wouldn't characterize it as "blade play".
FbBESdC.jpg

Pc66PuO.jpg

I have 2, both I got from knifeworks, and both are great. No issues with either, but the 2nd one is a backup. Not that I'll ever need it...

Back