Blade play but not sure?

Hey all,

Just got my first CRK, a large Sebenza with Insingo blade. Centering great, no blade play when in locked position or closed. However, when the blade is between the closed and open position, there is the tiniest bit of....shifting(?) of the blade forwards and backwards. Is this normal?

Normal as far as I'm concerned. I can feel a tiny bit of movement in the blade when it's between open and closed. So long as there's no movement when it's open it's fine by me.

Normal as far as I'm concerned. I can feel a tiny bit of movement in the blade when it's between open and closed. So long as there's no movement when it's open it's fine by me.
Thanks for the reply. I'm usually not so picky, but it's a Seb, you know?

What do you mean? What is shifting forward and back?
The blade itself. If I put the blade halfway between open and closed, or anywhere between fully locked and fully closed, and grab the point of the blade, and then slowly apply pressure towards closed or open, the blade moves ever so slightly, and I can feel it shift in the handle. Then if I add more pressur it begins to pivot smoothly. When Opening and closing normally, I didn't even notice. It was until I was fiddling with it that I felt it.

Last edited:
The blade itself. If I put the blade halfway between open and closed, or anywhere between fully locked and fully closed, and grab the point of the blade, and then slowly apply pressure towards closed or open, the blade moves ever so slightly, and I can feel it shift in the handle. Then if I add more pressur it begins to pivot smoothly. When Opening and closing normally, I didn't even notice. It was until I was fiddling with it that I felt it.
I was literally gonna ask the same question, but I'm pretty sure with the bushing, this is kinda normal. I had this in both of my paramilitary 2's as well.

I've had the same experience with my small 21 but not with my 25 or small inkosi. I always assumed it had something to do with the pivot bushing. Either way, nothing to worry about.

I am still not understanding. Sonyou have the blade somewhere between locked open and detented closed. Then you try and move the blade towards open and towards closed slightly and the blade moves? Of course it does that is how the blade opens and closes.

So I have to assume this is not what you mean. I think you mean you are moving the tip of the blade side to side (scale to scale) and there is a little wiggle. If that is the case then don't worry about it. Only worry about blade play in the locked open position. A little wiggle while the blade is free is a non-issue.

Enjoy your Sebbie.

I am still not understanding. Sonyou have the blade somewhere between locked open and detented closed. Then you try and move the blade towards open and towards closed slightly and the blade moves? Of course it does that is how the blade opens and closes.

So I have to assume this is not what you mean. I think you mean you are moving the tip of the blade side to side (scale to scale) and there is a little wiggle. If that is the case then don't worry about it. Only worry about blade play in the locked open position. A little wiggle while the blade is free is a non-issue.

Enjoy your Sebbie.
The movement is definitely up and down, not side to side, I am experiencing it too. And you put slightly less pressure than it takes to actually push the blade open, and it kinda just has a little wiggle.

I am just sitting here reading this, checking my L21 CF Insingo - zero play in any direction at any point open or closed or anywhere in between. NADA. Rock solid.

Its completely normal. Every seb I've had does this. Its not side to side play its just from the bushing/pivot. Use the sucker and enjoy :)

I had to read this thread about 3 times before I realized what you were saying. Checked all my sebs and every single one does the same thing. Thanks for breaking all of them :mad:.

The first time I noticed this was with my Large Inkosi. It's almost a tiny, free-play like feel. I didn't know what it was, but figured it was due to the absolute slightest amount of play in the pivot due to NOT having a pivot bushing. Looks like others have experienced this with their 21's as well though.

I have a 21 in for spa treatment that I'll check when it gets back. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who noticed it!

It's normal on all CRK folders, my umnumzaan has it as well. The hole in the blade that the pivot sits in has to be ever so slightly larger than the pivot itself to allow it to fit inside. This difference in size is what you are feeling. Totally normal.

Back