blade play on CR folders

Hey Peter. :)
If that was directed towards my post...I definitely dont look for issues with my CRK’s (still have all 27). I actually dont think its a problem, but a necessity for smoothness.
If it wasnt directed towards me...how are ya? Lol. :D

Fine:)-not directed at you or anyone else specifically. It was just a general observation of blade play. That I think some try to hard to find it and put excessive pressure to get it. Just as I think some obsess over blade centering, even when they see none with the naked eye.
Pet peeves :)

I just tried to give my Inkosi a good flex. I took it apart when I first got it to remove the lanyard without untying it. I gave it a good cleaning, a greasing, and put it back together. Maybe just a teeny bit looser than it was.

With two hands, and careful fingers, I could get the blade to wiggle what I could only describe as maybe 1/64 of an inch. That took a full bit of effort on my part and would have never been noticed when under heavy use. I decided to see if this was as good as I could get it. A quick crank of the allen wrenches and the Inkosi was rock solid if a bit too tight to open easily. Backing the pivot screw off no more than a hint of a counterclockwise movement resulted in a knife that will easily open with a thumb (not turning it into a flicking knife) like glass and is so rock solid open I managed to give myself a little love bite with the edge and no play at all.

Long story short, even a CRK with built in adjustment should have no blade play unless looser tolerances for faster deployment at the expense of fit is ok with you.

I rather like the bank vault lock up. I didnt buy the knife to be fast. I bought it because it's perfect. Silky and patient and everything I could want to fidget open and closed on the couch. The gentle break of the detent. The audible snap of the lock up. The rugged and rigid fit. The tiny snapping like a glass rod breaking when the detent engages the knife closed.

Blade play, short of trying so hard you cut yourself, shouldn't be possible with a CRK.

Wholeheartedly agree with you on these points. :)

CRK dont have blade play! That's one of the many reasons we buy them.

I don't use crk grease and my large 21 is free dropping rocket ship. After a long while I notice it will have a tiny side to side. The lock bar has to be disengaged and you gotta give it a bit more than your regular Shabazz wiggle to detect.
This play goes away completely after getting oil into pivot with syringe. No need for disassembly, just open close a bit.

I think the “freedropping” here is strange. It shouldn’t move on it’s own, it should be a smooth hydraulic action. If the blade moves under gravity I suspect some modifications have been done.

Just a heads up, Chris always said there was .0005" clearance on the bushing pivots to allow room for grease. If assembled dry or with a light oil instead of grease there is a barely perceptible amount of horizontal play if you really check for it.

I think the “freedropping” here is strange. It shouldn’t move on it’s own, it should be a smooth hydraulic action. If the blade moves under gravity I suspect some modifications have been done.
Only modification that is done is my freehand sharpening.
It's a worn in sebenza, I didn't even touch washers. It took awhile for it to get here.
My own music for soundtrack, skillz and no trickery

Only modification that is done is my freehand sharpening.
It's a worn in sebenza, I didn't even touch washers. It took awhile for it to get here.

Wow. Send it in for some new washers? I would, but you might like that action.

You really have to push the lockbar out of the way for it to do it. When I disengage normally you still have your breaks on, it's not a guillotine I don't like that.

You really have to push the lockbar out of the way for it to do it. When I disengage normally you still have your breaks on, it's not a guillotine I don't like that.

All mine do this too.

Only reason for new washers would be if it develops side to side play. :)

I am a CRK fan, but not a fanboy.

ALL CRK Sebbies have “blade play” when outside of lockup. Its the nature of the framelock knife. My “brand new outta the box” Sebbies will also fall shut with no tension from the lockbar. This is a well tuned knife, with excellent tolerances. There is nothing “wrong” if it drops shut, as long as there is no side to side play involved.
There is no denying the fact, outside of lockup blade play is there and needs to be there for the knife to operate smoothly. If the pivot bushing and knife blade hole were so tight that there was zero play, then the knife would not operate as smoothly as it does.
The “hydraulic” feeling is caused by the grease and PB washers, along with lockbar pressure when opening and closing. Lockbar applies pressure, and the phosphour bronze washers with grease allow the blade to “hydraulically” close. :)

ETA: All of my Sebbies have zero bladeplay when lock is fully engaged. Love my Sebbies!

This makes sense. I just checked a Small Classic and a Large 21 I had laying around and they'll drop if I push the lockbar off the blade.

I have 15 (?) CRK folders. All but two are carried daily and used very heavily during many years of CRK ownership. No side-to-side play at all on any of them. Even the ones I’ve thumped on.

All of them have slight up-down blade play when the blade is moving between closed and open, and have had this since brand new. This is expected and has been confirmed a couple times here by CRK as normal. The pivot hole, by design, has to be slightly larger than the pivot bushing or pivot screw diameter or the knives would bind up. Some space is required between the parts or they will not fit together, there would be no room for lube, and expansion and contraction of the blade as it heats up or cools would jam the knife.

Side to side play is unacceptable.

I have 15 (?) CRK folders. All but two are carried daily and used very heavily during many years of CRK ownership. No side-to-side play at all on any of them. Even the ones I’ve thumped on.

All of them have slight up-down blade play when the blade is moving between closed and open, and have had this since brand new. This is expected and has been confirmed a couple times here by CRK as normal. The pivot hole, by design, has to be slightly larger than the pivot bushing or pivot screw diameter or the knives would bind up. Some space is required between the parts or they will not fit together, there would be no room for lube, and expansion and contraction of the blade as it heats up or cools would jam the knife.

Side to side play is unacceptable.

Should be a sticky in the CRK forums at least. This same question have been asked a lot and is often a consern to anyone new to CRK folders, myself included.

I have owned 300+ CRK. Over 250 were folders, both new and used. I only ever had ONE with blade play. On that one, the previous owner had the washer pinched and used it causing damage to the washer. Sent it in and CRK fixed it good as new. That was was self inflicted by the person I bought it from. Have never experienced it before that or since. This is something you need not worry about.

2010 user Sebenza of mine has no issue to date and is also “free dropping” of there is no pressure from the lock bar.

Bought this one off the bay several years ago with no box or paperwork. When I received it it had a sixteenth wiggle when holding the tip (lateral). Sent it in to get the washers replaced and it came back good. Cheersimage.jpg

Back