Blade shapes for slipjoints

Nothing wrong at all with carbon steels. I'm just a big fan of the high carbide stuff personally (not any particular reason, other than I just find them really interesting, and want to learn to get the best results I can from them) . I still own and use some carbon steel blades, and they do well.

Really air hardening, and stainless isn't too much different, provided you have the means to properly work with them. A way to get them heat treated, proper abrasives, and some patients.
Well, I have a HT furnace now. So I guess I can do the programmable aspects. I am.only doing stock removal so there's that too. I do know wood working carvers like carbon steels over ss but perhaps with more modern steels it may be more superstition. As for turners they love the HSS+ stuff but much of that is about grinder abuse.

"Should"

Have fun using CAD, you can print out some nice templates with it.
Yes, the cad is fun. And it is a good exercise while I don't have access to my shop. It has made me see certain shapes and aspects of blades differently.

Well, I have a HT furnace now. So I guess I can do the programmable aspects. I am.only doing stock removal so there's that too. I do know wood working carvers like carbon steels over ss but perhaps with more modern steels it may be more superstition. As for turners they love the HSS+ stuff but much of that is about grinder abuse.
Without going too far off topic. I would suspect they most likely are basing their opinions on either older ss, or ones that were suboptimally heat treated. Let's say having hard steel and fine grain structures is great for woodworking. Then aebl seems perfect, or maybe being tough at or above 62 HRC with good wear resistance, then 4v, m4, xwear, (honestly a good few powder metallurgy steels would be great). The big thing is that these steels need to be properly heat treated to get the properties that are needed. As long as the person making the blade knows what to do, and had the right tools, they should get blades that are more than good enough.

Point taken. But if you are going to bother making a CAD model, why not put in the constraints to make it at least work correctly in the computer? I just drew this fully constrained parametric tang in FreeCAD in less than ten minutes, and I am not really all that familiar with the software or CAD in general.

sxohunZ.png
can you explain what you were doing with the construction geometries? Can I assume that you are not using a raised kick, but simply the existing bottom on the blade. Or is that an optical illusion between the construction lines and such? I walked through the tutorial at Herbst, and the knife they made kind of just builds the kick into the ricasso. This image kind of reminds me of that a little.

Without going too far off topic. I would suspect they most likely are basing their opinions on either older ss, or ones that were suboptimally heat treated. Let's say having hard steel and fine grain structures is great for woodworking. Then aebl seems perfect, or maybe being tough at or above 62 HRC with good wear resistance, then 4v, m4, xwear, (honestly a good few powder metallurgy steels would be great). The big thing is that these steels need to be properly heat treated to get the properties that are needed. As long as the person making the blade knows what to do, and had the right tools, they should get blades that are more than good enough.
I personally believe that there are excellently made carving instruments that are hundreds of years old and still working perfectly holding an edge well, and being easy enough to sharpen, or at least touch up. Look at Mary May and her videos on sharpening carving tools. When the PM steels came out many of them wouldn't take as fine of an edge and they are hard to sharpen. I agree that the newer metals are much better, and I, myself use as many PM steels in my turning tools and love them. However, when people get a bad taste in their mouth, it is tough to over come. But I am open minded, and willing to give anything a try. However, I do like the idea of D2 and I see there is a pm version of it now. I have yet to do anything with SS, so I will, no doubt, be asking for opinions on that at some point.

can you explain what you were doing with the construction geometries? Can I assume that you are not using a raised kick, but simply the existing bottom on the blade. Or is that an optical illusion between the construction lines and such? I walked through the tutorial at Herbst, and the knife they made kind of just builds the kick into the ricasso. This image kind of reminds me of that a little.

Not sure what you mean by existing bottom. The kick is at the end of the 25mm line, where the notch is. I just did this as a quick sketch, so it is not raised. I'll try to make an illustrated step-by-step tutorial how I constrained the tang geometry.

Not sure what you mean by existing bottom. The kick is at the end of the 25mm line, where the notch is. I just did this as a quick sketch, so it is not raised. I'll try to make an illustrated step-by-step tutorial how I constrained the tang geometry.
Okay, not a big deal. Just thought I was seeing something new.

I personally believe that there are excellently made carving instruments that are hundreds of years old and still working perfectly holding an edge well, and being easy enough to sharpen, or at least touch up. Look at Mary May and her videos on sharpening carving tools. When the PM steels came out many of them wouldn't take as fine of an edge and they are hard to sharpen. I agree that the newer metals are much better, and I, myself use as many PM steels in my turning tools and love them. However, when people get a bad taste in their mouth, it is tough to over come. But I am open minded, and willing to give anything a try. However, I do like the idea of D2 and I see there is a pm version of it now. I have yet to do anything with SS, so I will, no doubt, be asking for opinions on that at some point.
I honestly believe it was as much to do with sharpening, and choice of abrasives, and the heat treat on the steel, as anything else in those cases.

I wasn't there, and can't say for sure though.

What I can for sure say is I believe a truly open mind can be a good thing. I know there are plenty of times I've been held back by a belief I've had, or some experience that shaped how I felt. In those times its always good to be able to take a step back, and look at things objectively.

Since you bring up cpm d2, it does have some very similar properties to regular d2, the biggest benefit for blades (imo) is the toughness is much higher, because the carbides are kept small during production. That allows you to take it to a higher hardness, before making a blade that is too brittle.

I honestly believe it was as much to do with sharpening, and choice of abrasives, and the heat treat on the steel, as anything else in those cases.

I wasn't there, and can't say for sure though.

What I can for sure say is I believe a truly open mind can be a good thing. I know there are plenty of times I've been held back by a belief I've had, or some experience that shaped how I felt. In those times its always good to be able to take a step back, and look at things objectively.

Since you bring up cpm d2, it does have some very similar properties to regular d2, the biggest benefit for blades (imo) is the toughness is much higher, because the carbides are kept small during production. That allows you to take it to a higher hardness, before making a blade that is too brittle.
I figure if D2 was good enough for Queen Cutlery then it's good enough! :) It's also one of those things that you see lots of DIY folks making blades for weird things out of allen wrenches. I never even heard of D2 until I started investigating why so many people used allen wrenches for things like that. People making lathe tools, and routers (manual) and so forth.. Just made me investigate. And when I saw that so much of Queen's stuff was D2 I figured there must be something to it. :)

Huh are allen wrenches normally d2? The only steel label I've ever seen on them is usually chrome vanadium, which is pretty vague, but d2 should technically fit under that description. Maybe I see chrome moly too? Idk I never know if theres a specific alloy, or a group of alloys that these tools are made of, and they just give the whole group that all encompassing name.

I looked it up, I found the answer to my cr-v and cr-mo question.

Anyway, if you end up using d2 I definitely recommend cpm d2 if you can get it, the only benefit to conventional ingot d2 you will be able to find is it's cheaper. As far as steel properties, if heat treated well you will get better performance going with the pm version.

Not saying that regular d2 isn't fine, just if possible I think cpm d2 is the best choice.

I looked it up, I found the answer to my cr-v and cr-mo question.

Anyway, if you end up using d2 I definitely recommend cpm d2 if you can get it, the only benefit to conventional ingot d2 you will be able to find is it's cheaper. As far as steel properties, if heat treated well you will get better performance going with the pm version.

Not saying that regular d2 isn't fine, just if possible I think cpm d2 is the best choice.
Therein lies the issue. I assume that whichever I choose I will have to buy a lot to overcome the shipping cost. I am guessing that NJSB would have everything, since they are probably supplying places like USAKM and the ilk. Once I get to that point, I will start asking around.
I am seeing lots of references to AEB and Steigerwald seems to like RWL-34 which he says is the PM version of ATS-34 unless of course he is using Damasteel's versions of stainless damascus. Which, I am not sure I understand well enough to even consider. Meh, I have 6 on the table now and won't invest in more knife steel until I get at least one of them done. But I am not going back in the shop until my COVID is finished. It is kicking my ass. :S

Therein lies the issue. I assume that whichever I choose I will have to buy a lot to overcome the shipping cost. I am guessing that NJSB would have everything, since they are probably supplying places like USAKM and the ilk. Once I get to that point, I will start asking around.
I am seeing lots of references to AEB and Steigerwald seems to like RWL-34 which he says is the PM version of ATS-34 unless of course he is using Damasteel's versions of stainless damascus. Which, I am not sure I understand well enough to even consider. Meh, I have 6 on the table now and won't invest in more knife steel until I get at least one of them done. But I am not going back in the shop until my COVID is finished. It is kicking my ass. :S
Hope you feel better.

As far as shipping. It's not really too bad honestly. From what I've seen, depending how much you buy of course. Small amounts don't seem to really be too much.

Huh are allen wrenches normally d2? The only steel label I've ever seen on them is usually chrome vanadium, which is pretty vague, but d2 should technically fit under that description. Maybe I see chrome moly too? Idk I never know if theres a specific alloy, or a group of alloys that these tools are made of, and they just give the whole group that all encompassing name.
Well, they used to be. And some of the sets from certain brands will advertise them that way. I am sure the ones you get with a new piece of Ikea are not. But a lot of the old black ones might be... There was an article I read about them back then that said they used D2 because of the kinds of pressures they had to withstand without breaking, or rounding over. Some reference was made to being used for hardened socket head bolts and somehow that had something to do with the choice of making them from D2. Now, I can be talking out by butt, and can't find a link to the original article. IfI can find it I will share it. But then again, even if they were, they probably aren't anymore :) I doubt Apex or whoever owns the name "Allan Wrench" controls what they "need" to be made of.

Hope you feel better.

As far as shipping. It's not really too bad honestly. From what I've seen, depending how much you buy of course. Small amounts don't seem to really be too much.
Really? NJSB seems to have a fairly high base shipping, at least the last time I looked. Is there somewhere better to buy from?

Really? NJSB seems to have a fairly high base shipping, at least the last time I looked. Is there somewhere better to buy from?
I believe I bought the cpm d2 I used from njsb. I could have sworn it was just the regular flat rate usps shipping costs I see everywhere. It's been a while though.

Alpha knife supply, which someone else already brought up is great, especially if you want some of the steels you might not see at other places. 26c3, k390, a11 (cpm 10v), s125v, s60v, a bunch of cool (yeah I'm a nerd who thinks steel alloys are cool) steels. I just bought some 26c3 from them, it was just the standard priority flat rate shipping cost I believe.

Then theirs pops, I havent ordered from them yet, but people seem to like them.

Back