Blade Show 2012 Awards

drwbck3 must have been making a bad joke.
My 810 Contego and SHOT LE Mini Onslaught both have amazing F+F and factory edges.
BM certainly doesnt suck.
However, I would like them to put something out there just to compete.

It's a Coast Guard model from what I've seen.

It is. It also has lots of innovation behind it. There was a lot of thought behind that knife. The knife reduces a lot of areas that can form compartments to hold water. Even the pivot is a one piece design that holds the spring which drives the automatic opening action. If the spring wears out, you just unscrew the pivot/spring unit, replace it with a new one, and torque it back down. The knife as a whole is designed to drain water as best as possible and not to have any kind of areas that could act as water compartments. Blade is h1 of course.

A Google search for the Spyderco Autonomy didn't turn up much...I'm intrigued, has anyone seen it?
This is the Coast Guard knife I described above, if I'm not mistaken.

It hasn't been shown outside of Bladeshow 2012 if I'm not mistaken. It's a larger folding knife with something like a 6 inch handle with lots of generous finger grooves. The blade from the one I saw was fully serrated. It's a push button automatic with the pivot that I described above.

Here is a pic of one of our own makers at BFC.

Ken Erickson - Best Custom Folder.

IMGP9390_1207_edited-1.jpg

KenandKnife.jpg

KenDoc.jpg

KenDoc1.jpg

Just some more that I remember.
Kevin Cashon Best Sword.
Mike Williams Best Hunter as well as Best of the rest.
Gus Cecchini won Best Collaboration and I am so tired I can not remember his partner. :eek:

This one - 2012 Hall of Fame Inductee: Harold Kit Carson was a fantastic choice. Could not go to a more deserving person who has helped many a maker along.
Missed ya Kit.

Just some more that I remember.
Kevin Cashon Best Sword.
Mike Williams Best Hunter as well as Best of the rest.

This one - 2012 Hall of Fame Inductee: Harold Kit Carson was a fantastic choice. Could not go to a more deserving person who has helped many a maker along.
Missed ya Kit.
A couple of more that I remember.
Jason Knight best Bowie
David Mirabile best fighter
David Lisch best Damascus
Kevin Cashen best fixed blade

Missed ya Kit.

I couldn't agree more! Congratulations Kit!

Congrats to winners!

How do they judge the knives? That ZT888 is ugly as hell.
Thanks!!! I think...:cool: The 0888 was overly thought of at the show FYI, and the first piece asked for with the new products. I'm happy for the yucky ugly duckling.

There are selected judges dont know exactly who alor how many. I think Les Robertson, Chris Reeve and Rick hinderer are judges.
I should probably squash your Blade judging conspiracy theory and let you know that on the productions side, everyone with a booth gets to enter in up to 5 categories, and vote on all the categories.. Hope that seems fair to you. It's worked well for as long as it's been going on, and there's not much for complaining in the room from manufacturers.

Last edited:
Congrats to all the winners!

As far as ugly goes... Just going by the pics I've seen so far, the 888 and 777 will most likely be my first non-slipjoint folder purchases in a couple of years. :thumbup::thumbup:

Congratulations indeed to all winners. Kershaw, you have boatloads of talent and more innovation than production slots for those winning dream knives. One of those knives is already unattainable to us regular riff raff due to numbers announced, and the other winner might be a possibility, but it's still in the unlikely category if the past few years are any example.

I love the product but after trying as hard to get one as I have the last few years I'm not really hopeful about the odds.

I love the knives, will have the money, and try to have some connections but that still doesn't mean I will end up with a knife. Not even close.

Does this mean I've gotten spoiled? Maybe, but that's the way it goes.

Congratulations anyways Thomas and the Kai/Kershaw and ZT team. 4.25 inches of CTS B75 seems to be designed just for me, and is calling my name. 50 years old with 45 of those being a knife knut. I've paid a lot of dues. Please make enough knives for us knife users Thomas. :)

Regards,

Joe Lewanowicz
&
Finn "the mastiff"

Les Robertson has absolutely nothing to do with the judging for the factory knives.

I judge the custom knives...than wait 2-3 years to see them as factory knives that try to win awards. :D

yeah, gus, but when ken enters it really isn't fair to anyone else. it's like when CRK wins the manufacturing quality award - they should just rename them the Ken Erickson and Chris Reeve awards, respectively.

Back