1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

Blade storage.

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by nedflow, Mar 18, 2017.

1. nedflow

nedflow

Jan 24, 2014
    Hope all is well. Just starting to think about a proper way to store my various folders and fixed blades. What is everyone using? What are some do's and dont's? I look forward to your comments and suggestions, cheers!!!

2. BrandoSpoke

BrandoSpoke Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 14, 2017
  3. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2016
    I keep most of my bunch in Spydie bags in the closet. However, I have half a dozen in a little glass-topped display case on the table by the door that are my "current rotation." Nicer looking and neater than leaving a pile of knives there like a used to. :) I also have some non-stainless/non-coated knives in a dry box with a dehumidifier, also in the closet.

4. Phixt

Phixt

May 28, 2016
    A lot of guys buy a gun case (pelican, etc.) and load it up with folders on end. Display cases are cool.

5. nedflow

nedflow

Jan 24, 2014
    Thanks, that's pretty nice. May have to look into one myself.

6. nedflow

nedflow

Jan 24, 2014
    What exactly do you mean by a "dry box"? A shoe box? You have a pic of the glass display cases? Thanks man!

7. BrandoSpoke

BrandoSpoke Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Mar 14, 2017
    They have ones that carry 6 knives up to 84 knives which is awesome. I'm getting the 21 though which is the one I linked before. If you buy, make sure you look at the description b/c for some reason, 2 products may have the same photo but one is just the foam and the other is the case and the foam

8. `br4dz-

`br4dz-

Jan 18, 2016
    I've got 2 spyderpak's I store the majority of my knives in, with a couple users sitting on a stand with my wallet and keys, and a couple favorites scattered around in various places. I make sure my non-stainless knives are oiled with a coating of WD-40 every few months, and that's about it. I make it a point to open and close each knife I own every month or two and lube the pivot as needed so it doesn't get gunked up. If you live with other people, especially children, a pelican case with a lock or a heavier safe might be in order. Other than that, unless you have a bunch of non-stainless knives or live in a really humid house, there isn't much to storing knives.

9. SoCalEDC

SoCalEDC Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2015
    My EDC never gets stored obviously but my others I have in one of these. God forbid there is ever a fire, I can grab and go hopefully with all in one place.

[​IMG]

10. nedflow

nedflow

Jan 24, 2014
    Who makes that?

11. SoCalEDC

SoCalEDC Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 4, 2015
    You know, I got it on ebay, like $15.
    Really no brand name but made in China.
    Pretty nice for what it is. Holds my knives secure in place and zips closed.
    This one is for 18 I believe. They have up to 64 holders I think.

ZT makes one too that's nice. It's around $50 if I remember.

12. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    Plano tackle tray for me, works well, easy to see everything.

13. Sharp Steel

Sharp Steel

Aug 10, 2009
    I have the CRKT A.G. Russell Sting that has always been kept in the sheath. When I first bought it, I put a blade protectant liquid on the blade that was supposed to prevent rust. Unfortunately, I pulled it out of the sheath after a while, and the very tip has some rust on it. I have no idea why that happened, because I coated the whole blade. Just mentioning this so that it does not happen to anyone else. Make sure you coat the blade properly for storage.

14. Nfd538

Nfd538 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 9, 2015
    I had a large Spydie pack but sold off most to fill it. I keep them in a safe.
    [​IMG]

15. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    [​IMG]

16. ThePeacent

ThePeacent

Sep 15, 2013
    I use a cheap movie storage box. Plastic, keeps 'em closed and away from dust and humidity, all visible and quick to spot

[​IMG]

17. nedflow

nedflow

Jan 24, 2014
  18. nedflow

nedflow

Jan 24, 2014
    Did you build that? What is the shelving covered with?

19. nedflow

nedflow

Jan 24, 2014
    I had assumed that blades were ok to keep in the sheath as well. Apparently not. The leather will retain moisture and even kydex will to some extent. Have seen some users using a protectant then making cardboard slips to cover the blade.