Blade storage

Thanks j williams,

That's a Grohmann #4 I re-handled with padauk, brass pins, and black spacers. Gorgeous blade. I keep coming back to it! I'll take a better picture and post it later.

All the best,

- Mike

I like the Pelican case idea...I ended up getting a tool-chest; flip open top with 8 drawers. I also have an old Army field desk that holds some of the larger ones. Additionally, I have a long portable tool box that will hold several of my hawks, machetes and goloks. I've made 3 major moves in the last 4 years; you get pretty good at storing and transporting your valuables. I also don't store in leather sheaths...I'll keep those in a separate bag or drawer.

ROCK6

I also keep them in a drawer in their sheaths, so thanks for the tip, I will now oil some of the ones I haven't been using.

right now i don't have too too many blades, and they are all users. the ones that aren't laying around because i'm always grabbing them go into a small 3 drawer tool case with a lid. i keep blade blanks and short pieces of steel in the top lid area.

folders in one drawer, fixed blades in another.

in the future, especially if (when) my collection grows, i intend to get a larger tool case like the one i have and put nice cloth liners in the bottom of the drawers. use some of those silica gel packs in each drawer. i want to have enough room for the fixed blades, machetes and hawks/hatchets. on second thought, maybe i should get one of those pelican rifle cases...

but i would say keep them oiled if you aren't using them often, keep them together (except for the stashed ones in bags etc) in a drawer or in a bin (those rubbermaid bins are good as suggested before...) and don't store in leather sheaths...i've never had a problem even in my damp basement, but better safe than sorry.

I use a machinist tool box to store mine. It was a gift from my wife and it works great. 9 drawers and a top storage area keeps them safe and out of reach of my daughter.

Mine are generally strewn about the house. On the desk, in the closet, in my pockets, everywhere actually. I live by myself and I live far enough out that house guests don't exist. I intend to build a cedar coffee table soon with a locked glass top for some of my Case, etc. that are nicer looking. Think it would be a nice centerpiece when I finally move out of BFE. Maybe I'll find an old Navy Colt to restore and toss in there too.

I got one of those small, see through Rubbermade tubs with a lid. I keep most of my fixed blades in there. Not much trouble with rust where I live so I keep them all uncoated and in the sheaths.

My approach exactly, except I got three 16" X 24" tubs for starters. I finally ran out of space in my drawers. Gotta put the socks somewhere. :D

I keep folders in Sack-Ups. They are silicon impregnated. Carbon fixed blades have a coating of Renissance Wax. Be careful storing knives in a case that has foam like a gun case. The foam absorbs mositure if in a damp or humid area.
Scott

tool boxes, shelves, suspened from nails on the wall. If it's going to be stored for a LONG time, you can dip the whole thing in linseed oil and hang it for 3 days to dry. Take a buffer or a fair amount of use to get it off after it dries good, though :D

Tracy mickley sells some wax over on usaknifemaker that works really well for blade protection.

A leather trick is to mink oil the outside of the sheath really well, then dip the sheath in linseed oil. wipe off the excess on the outside (easy, you have a fresh coat of mink oil preventing absorption) and the inside will cure up good. It's not perfect, nothing is due to condensation on steel in inclosed environments, but it seals the leather off pretty well.

I like to keep some of my collection in old display cases, with moisture absorbers.

My old Schrades
2hfl8b9.jpg

Some Bucks
33or85d.jpg

The rest are in an old dresser I refinished just to store knifes in.

All of my knives get a coat of paste wax when in storage, and none are stored in their sheaths.

John

I was always under the impression that the reason you shouldn't store knives in a leather sheath was because of the chemicals used in some types of tanning. Supposedly, some of the chemicals could corrode the blade steel. Does anybody know if this has any merit?

Doc

chrome tanned leathers- the shinier colored stuff- can corrode steel. I made that mistake....once.

these are the products i use in my Pelican cases to absorb moisture and provide a Vapor corrosion inhibitor barrier: (both are for MUCH MUCH larger lockers, and are completely overkill for the smaller Peli cases)

Emitters.jpg

56z6101s2.jpg

I was always under the impression that the reason you shouldn't store knives in a leather sheath was because of the chemicals used in some types of tanning. Supposedly, some of the chemicals could corrode the blade steel. Does anybody know if this has any merit?

Doc

Doc, most leathers today are vegetable tanned. The problem with storing in leather is like Brian said, absorbtion of mositure.
Scott

I have a rack I built over my gun safe. It holds the majority of my large fixed blades. The more expensive customs go in the safe with the folders, small fixed blades and firearms. I would love to have the dedicated space to display all of my blades, but I don't think that will ever happen.:grumpy:

I guess I store my blades a little different than what I've read on the majority of this Thread. I am retired and do not hunt any more do to health problems. I use display cases and have them hanging in my den. This is the Co. that makes them, http://www.customdisplays.com/ they make display cases for just about any thing you collect. Also it's easy to get to you knives, since there held in place by the tempered glass when you close it. The price is very good. I also have a glass case with three shelves for some of my smaller knives. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 3 BOWIES.jpg
    3 BOWIES.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 103005 David's gun and knife part 2 013.jpg
    103005 David's gun and knife part 2 013.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 6
  • P1010077.JPG-randall 34.jpg
    P1010077.JPG-randall 34.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 37
  • CROWELL KNIFE DISPLAY.jpg
    CROWELL KNIFE DISPLAY.jpg