Blade style

What is your preferred blade style for an everyday knife?

• Clip point

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Drop point

Votes: 29 38.2%
  • Sheep's foot

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Spear point

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Wharncliffe

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Spey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • hawkbill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanto

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other. Please specify.

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think my favorite blade was a Microtech LCC. I had 2, sold them both years ago. Fun knife (D/A auto), but too damn heavy. Right now I carry a carbon fibre Leek, until I get around to sending my BM 940D2CF back to replace the broken omega spring (shoulda done this months ago). Sometimes a Caly 3 ZDP-189. Regardless, I always have a G.Sakai Preppy (cousin to the A.G. Russell 3" lockback). It should be pretty apparent that I like a gradual curve with a very forward tip. Very little belly and I don't like a lot (if any) curve toward the tip. Allows precision cutting with the needle tip, as well as strong draw cuts, but more useful in a general sense than a proper wharncliffe.

I choose Other even though some will say my favorite is covered by two choices. I pick the insingo blade from CRK. That modified warnie does absolutely everything I personally want out of a knife. I also believe it helps the small Sebenza punch above its weight class. The blade is just so efficient for me.

Last edited:
1. Drop point
2a. Sheepfoots
2b. Wharncliffe

I don't like spear. I don't need a double edge.
Not a fan of clip. Classic shape I know tho.
Tanto. Popular but kinda "mall ninja-ish" to me for some reason.

Sheepsfoot, or wharncliffe, but it only let me pick one or the other. I'm a town boy, and most of my cutting tasks involve either processed dinosaur squeezings, or dehydrated carbohydrate foam. Having the point down low works better for me.

Wharncliffe/Sheepsfoot has to take it.
There’s just nothing easier to sharpen, and they’re super useful.

IMG-4972-2.jpg

Wharncliffe/Sheepsfoot for me.

I used to be a big modified sheepsfoot guy, and maybe it’s still my favorite. But I just checked my nightstand to see what I’ve had out for the last week. I’m not sure how to interpret the results. :D

ETA: I will say that I find clip points the sexiest of the lot. There’s not too many around in folders I like though.

Last edited:
I like a trailing point, up-swept, Persian, whatever you want to call it, for looks. Second choice is a clip point. These days, tho, my EDC is a slight drop point.

I chose clip for utility as I’ve learned how to use them for a variety of tasks. I don’t want to rain on your poll but for me each type has it’s merits. That’s one reason I like a good stockman pattern where I have three different blades to use for each particular purpose. As for my work edc I carry 2-3 knives for the same reason. A small stockman deep in pocket, a large vantage pro drop point clipped in my rfp and a Buck 110 clip point in my vest/ coat pocket. I sometimes carry a Leatherman Wave when I know I’ll need it. I just don’t like being limited to just one type or one knife. If you really use a knife a lot in a job or lifestyle that has a variety of tasks then you will find that one type or size won’t do for everything. You might can get by but you will still have limitations.

My favorite is a drop point, but I voted sheep’s foot because it is one blade I will not be without. I rarely carry a single blade. Either a two-bladed knife or else two knives, like an Opinel and a Biltong.

An improved muskrat has a sheepsfoot and a California clip. The 2018 Traditional Forum Buck 301 has a clip and a sheepsfoot. The SAK Electrician I carry every day with the Opinel and the Okapi has a spear and a short sheepsfoot.

If I go out with a single blade, it is most likely a sheepsfoot, not because it is a favorite but because I find it most useful for EDC.

It was a tough choice, but I chose clip point with drop point in close second place. I only chose clip point b/c I find the main clip blade in a traditional stockman to be my go-to blade for most general tasks (8OT). That said, i think a well executed drop point is just about the perfect all-rounder blade design (ex: Cold Steel American Lawman). My preference for one design over the other really can change on a knife-to-knife basis.

Very hard to choose one.
I haven't really... I carry a drop point in my pocket but I have a tanto, wharncliffe, and hawkbill on the truck or in my bag everyday as well.

Back