Blade-Tech Profili

Greetings gang.

Recently, I came into a few Blade-Tech knives and figured I would play with them a bit and post my totally non-scientific findings 'chere on bladeforums. I started with the Profili and so far I am loving this knife! I haven't had much of a chance to really work it out yet, but here are my initial thoughts on it. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

The pros:

blade profile strikes an excellent balance between useful and good looking. The fact that it is a recurve means it should slice and chop well (not gonna be chopping with a lightweight folder though!) So far it has cut; an old discover card, some cardboard out at the shooting range, and a duraflame log. Its done a bang-up job and kept the shaving edge I put on it last night.
I have to say, I did a fair bit of prying with the tip on those duraflame logs this evening, I was afraid I might bend the blade since it has a pronounced distal taper and I was jamming it into the logs about half the blade length and twisting and prying. Lockup, and the blade itself weren't affected at all.

The jimping along the thumb ramp is perfect, the ergos on the handle are excellent when the knife is held with a saber grip. when you choke up on the blade the hollow that is just forward of the thumb ramp makes for an excellent index point.

The Cons:

The biggest issue I have/had with the knife was that the contoured G-10 can be pretty painful along the points. Specifically, when you deploy the blade you wind up pressing your thumb into one of these points. A problem that was solved with about 30 seconds of work with a Nicholson 6" single cut bastard file. I just rounded off the point of the G-10 and it is much better to deploy.

The only other bitch I could come up with is that the thumbstuds are fairly close to the handle and sometimes can be difficult to deploy if you have the knife gripped at an odd angle.

Overall, this is a great knife. Anybody else have one?

Hi native4alpha,
Glad you are enjoying the Profili! The overall design and profile make it an amazing slicer, which is its intended design. The G-10 is meant to give the user a positive grip in all conditions, with and without gloves.

Which color did you end up going with?

-Brian

Greetings gang.

Recently, I came into a few Blade-Tech knives and figured I would play with them a bit and post my totally non-scientific findings 'chere on bladeforums. I started with the Profili and so far I am loving this knife! I haven't had much of a chance to really work it out yet, but here are my initial thoughts on it. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

The pros:

blade profile strikes an excellent balance between useful and good looking. The fact that it is a recurve means it should slice and chop well (not gonna be chopping with a lightweight folder though!) So far it has cut; an old discover card, some cardboard out at the shooting range, and a duraflame log. Its done a bang-up job and kept the shaving edge I put on it last night.
I have to say, I did a fair bit of prying with the tip on those duraflame logs this evening, I was afraid I might bend the blade since it has a pronounced distal taper and I was jamming it into the logs about half the blade length and twisting and prying. Lockup, and the blade itself weren't affected at all.

The jimping along the thumb ramp is perfect, the ergos on the handle are excellent when the knife is held with a saber grip. when you choke up on the blade the hollow that is just forward of the thumb ramp makes for an excellent index point.

The Cons:

The biggest issue I have/had with the knife was that the contoured G-10 can be pretty painful along the points. Specifically, when you deploy the blade you wind up pressing your thumb into one of these points. A problem that was solved with about 30 seconds of work with a Nicholson 6" single cut bastard file. I just rounded off the point of the G-10 and it is much better to deploy.

The only other bitch I could come up with is that the thumbstuds are fairly close to the handle and sometimes can be difficult to deploy if you have the knife gripped at an odd angle.

Overall, this is a great knife. Anybody else have one?

Mine is in FDE (the Lord's G-10 color of choice), if you guys ever do FDE or OD handles on the Black wolf, put me down for one each!.

FDE is definitely one of my favorite colors. Good choice sir!

Back