BladeForums Chooses My Next Knife

So Im looking for a new knife. Im an emerson fanatic, I have a tiger, jungle commander, mini jungle commander, big bulldog, Etak B, karahawk, 15, and want more. Those are my most carried but also have a zt 0920 and griptilian in 20cv in my rotation. Got other knives but these are my main. I carry a main one in my front right pocket and the karahawk in my back pocket. However Im looking for a new fixed blade for fun, I really like the kabar dogs head. But i want something similar but for scout carry. BUT I miss having a paramilitary 2, i still have a signet ring and fang accessory to wave it open but my last pm2 broke. Thinking of replacing it but not too sure, no spydercos really catch my eye. I dont even look at my manix 2 anymore. I like bigger knives but im open to anything. I like the pm2 for the spydie hole and fidget factor but besides that wasnt anything special in my eyes.

What size blade length did you have in mind for the fixed blade? Price range?

Bradford Guardian comes to mind. Several sizes and steels to choose from. Not sure if the style suits you thou. https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Bradford-Fixed--2313

Falkniven has several choices and price ranges too.

Cold Steel Master Hunter with 3V blade. https://www.bladehq.com/item--Cold-Steel-Master-Hunter-Fixed--29665

Are you also looking for a folder recommendation too?
for a fixed blade i want something over 6 inches and for the folder i want something 3.5-4 or more inches. I hear a lot of good things about bradford guardians

Bradford guardians are supposed to great from all I've. I don't know much about fixed blade, though. I have a Becker BK5 which I believe is an 8 inch blade.

The ZT 0095 is really nice. I generally dislike blades over 3.5", but this is an exception at 3.6. It definitely covers the fidget factor.

Ok. The Bradford 6 is close. 5.8" of cutting length.

Maybe a knife maker here has something that will interest you. https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/for-sale-fixed-blades.754/

I don't fidget with my knives so I'll just list a few big folders I like.
Cold Steel Recon 1 or SR1
Spyderco Manix 2 XL or original Military
ZT 640 Emerson, 452CF
Hogue EX03
Viper Italo frame lock (liner lock version looks a little flimsy imo)

I consider the ~5"-6" blade length to be about optimum for overall use in the outdoors. That said, even they feel a bit large at times for me. Lots of choices for fixed blades. My last few have included a Lon Humphrey Kephart, Becker Kephart, Bark River Wilderness Explorer, and White River Backpacker Pro.

I think Hogue makes better rough-use folders than Emerson for the same or less money.

I am not going to pretend that I like Emerson knives, as I've detested all three that I've owned, but I think that the Hogue EX-01 is objectively better than anything Emerson makes. Substantially better build quality, a better and more reliable lock, better cutting geometry combined with a thicker blade, and better ergonomics, but with the same approach taken towards slightly softer 154cm steel for toughness and ease of sharpening. As an added bonus, they're still made in the USA (I've toured the plant and seen them being produced) and have competitive prices for what they're offering. I personally prefer the aluminum handled version, but there's a G10 version that's well made, too.

For an indestructible folder, the Cold Steel SR1, Recon 1, or AD-10 are good options.

For a folder, have you seen the Real Steel Megalodon 2017, the all-Ti version with M390? Especially if you can find one for a good price, it’s a great choice for a bigger general use blade.

3.875-inch blade, pretty thin behind the edge and about as thick at the spine as the PM2 but with a stronger tip. Very nice handle grip even for XL hands.

Last edited:
I think Hogue makes better rough-use folders than Emerson for the same or less money.

I am not going to pretend that I like Emerson knives, as I've detested all three that I've owned, but I think that the Hogue EX-01 is objectively better than anything Emerson makes. Substantially better build quality, a better and more reliable lock, better cutting geometry combined with a thicker blade, and better ergonomics, but with the same approach taken towards slightly softer 154cm steel for toughness and ease of sharpening. As an added bonus, they're still made in the USA (I've toured the plant and seen them being produced) and have competitive prices for what they're offering. I personally prefer the aluminum handled version, but there's a G10 version that's well made, too.

For an indestructible folder, the Cold Steel SR1, Recon 1, or AD-10 are good options.
The aluminum handle ones are beautiful. I watched a few videos on them and they all seem to say they have bad to alright ergos. Only reason why its not a no brainer for me

The aluminum handle ones are beautiful. I watched a few videos on them and they all seem to say they have bad to alright ergos. Only reason why its not a no brainer for me
Why don't you buy one and try it? If you don't like the ergos out of the box but don't otherwise use it, you're usually able to return it, no questions asked.

I've had a Roadhouse, a CQC-15, and a Super CQC-7. Both of my EX-01s feel better in hand than any of those knives did. The aluminum model is the best for me, because the edges of the handle are slightly less sharp than on the G10 (you can correct that very easily with sandpaper, but I dyed my handles green and don't want to remove the color on the edges).

I've got a Hogue EX-01, in black G10 which is seeing no pocket time & it'll be looking for a good home soon if'n ya interested.

Back