BladeForums Exclusive!!! Kershaw's Onion Chive Folder

A BladeForums exclusive, seen for the first time anywhere on the Internet and definitely a leg up on the cutlery magazines - presenting a sneak peek at the new Kershaw Chive model 1600. This knife is another offering from the dynamic collaboration team of custom maker Ken Onion and Wilsonville, Oregon's Kershaw Knives. The Chive is a stylish little folder, only about 4.90" overall length. It's an ideal gentleman's knife and small and compact enough to function as a money clip. Weighing in at 1.9 ounces, the Chive rides comfortably clipped to the pocket or sitting at the bottom of the pocket as would a traditional pocket knife.

<center>
View
</center>

The ergonomic handle is machined out of 410 stainless steel, with an integral bar lock. The handle's surfaces are bead blasted for slight texture. There is a cut out above the pivot to allow the index trigger to sit lower and not protrude too much, yet remain within easy reach to fire the blade. The handle is held together by three Torx® head screws (including the pivot). A steel pocket clip is fastened to the opposite side of the handle to permit ease of carry in the tip down position (please note, the clip on actual production models will be a little different than the one pictured on the prototype). Width of handle minus clip is 0.295" thick.

<center>
View
</center>

The Chive's clip point blade is of 420 stainless with a hollow grind. Stock thickness is 0.090". The index trigger serves both as an ambidextrous opening aid and as a finger guard when the knife is open. With a simple push on the index trigger, the closed knife quickly springs open using Ken's own Speed Safe torsion bar technology to propel the blade to an open and locked position. The dual thumb studs serve only as the blade's positive stop, as they are too small for use as one-hand openers. The notched thumb ramp of the blade provides a secure placement for the index finger or thumb to rest on during use.

<center>
View
</center>

No release date has been set yet for the 1600 Chive, but when it is released the suggested retail price is $49.95. It will only be available in plain edge. Please be aware that there may be slight cosmetic changes on the full production models from what is pictured here.

Overall, this is a neat little folder. The blade's action is so crisp that you will be tempted to flick the knife over and over! Fit and finish is very good, blade grinds are even, and there is no blade play whatsoever in any direction. However, the cutting edge isn't as sharp as Kershaw can get them due to the fact that this is a prototype and will be subject to a LOT of fondling at the upcoming SHOT Show in New Orleans. For those of you going to SHOT, be sure to stop by Kershaw's booth and say "hi" to Ken Onion who will be on hand to introduce the Chive along with its molded thermoplastic counterpart, the 1620 Scallion.

------------------
Proud member of AKTI, NCCKG, NCKK, and SCAK

In memory of James K. Mattis

What a little cutie! Any word on when production and shipping will commence?

------------------
Peter Atwood

email:fountainman@hotmail.com

I like it!!! The thumb studs should be big enough to be used. How is the torsion bar encased in the scale without a liner?

On the clip side picture there is a screw in the handle near the bottom of the clip which appears to be set in some kind of funky oval, where it looks like it may be able to slide or something. There is no corresponding screw on the other side. What is that?

------------------
Jason aka medusaoblongata
-----------------------
El mundo es mi cenicero.

I have no info yet on the release date of the Chive, trying to squeeze that info out of Kershaw!

Jason - you got me there. The screw is attached to a plastic bracket and it appears that if the screw is loosened and bracket moved towards the pivot of the knife, the bracket will prevent the blade from closing into the handle
confused.gif
I have no idea what this is for and will inquire, curious myself. Will give an update as soon as I can get an answer.

------------------

Superb looking design.

[This message has been edited by Steve Harvey (edited 12-21-2000).]

go to the kershaw site and order a catalog i got one about a month ago it has a lot of nice onion stuff in there

------------------
I am just a worthless liar....... I am just an Imbecile ...... I will only complicate you ..... Trust in me and fall as well .... I will find a center in you ... I will chew it up and leave .. I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down

Jason wrote:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">On the clip side picture there is a screw in the handle near the bottom of the clip which appears to be set in some kind of funky oval, where it looks like it may be able to slide or something. There is no corresponding screw on the other side. What is that?</font>

I heard back from Kershaw today. That screw holds a plastic bracket, which can be moved back and forth (as seen in the second photo). This is a safety! Just as the Boa has a sliding safety which prevents accidental firings, the Chive also has one as well. To engages, take your thumbnail and scoot the screw back towards the pivot. This brings the plastic bracket over the blade tip, locking it in place. To release, simply slide it back out of the way. The safety holds itself into place via friction.

So, there you have it!
smile.gif

------------------

cool!

I do ask myself, does Ken sleep ...or does he design knives while he is asleep?

Greetings
red

Markus: Du stellst immer Anforderungen...
smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by redratsnake:
go to the kershaw site and order a catalog i got one about a month ago it has a lot of nice onion stuff in there

</font>

I could not find it
frown.gif
.. Can you please post a link? Thanks.

David

------------------
DIVERTI NESCIO

---------------
My Photopoint pictures

Mikov Knives

50.00 for 420v or 420j2?

------------------
Although it does not mindfully keep guard in the small mountain fields, the scarecrow does not stand in vain
Bukkoku

anybody know the answer to the steel question?

------------------
Although it does not mindfully keep guard in the small mountain fields, the scarecrow does not stand in vain
Bukkoku

I would definitely take on of these. Great little knife to give my son in a couple of years. In the meantime, dad can play with it...

Brandon

Back