Blades 2 and 3 WIP,and some questions

Here are my 2nd and third tries at making a knife.Both are 1/4" A2 steel,the nessmuk looking one is forged while the ridiculously oversized chopper will be strictly stock removal.Trying for a nice polished convex edge.The plan is to send them both out for HT and cryo treatment at Pete's.
023_zps51220018.jpg

031_zpsc2cffbb2.jpg

028_zps1df9c175.jpg

On to the Questions
How thin should I leave the edge of the blade? It is right at 1/16ths now but there are still some small hammer marks and forge scale on the lower half of the nessmuk i'd like to clean up.After that is done should I file/grind the edge back down blunt?

Since A2 is an air hardening steel,did I hurt anything by forging it? I forged it in charcoal then covered with a few inches of ash and then kept the heat going afew hours making a pot roast in the dutch oven then just letting it burn out overnight

Has anyone had any experience with HT A2 in molten salt? Is there anyplace that offers that process on a commercial basis?

Any pointers or critiques? I'm considering putting the Nessmuk back in the forge to draw out the handle just a touch more,otherwise I'm pretty pleased thus far

No damage done forging. Don a stress relief at 1200F for 30 minutes and air cool before HT.

The edge should be between .020" and .040" at HT.

Salt pots are great, but not a commercial process normally.

Any professional HT shop like peters or Paul Bos will do A2 just fine.

Back