Blades vs. gators. Mission impossible?

Alex17

BANNED
I'm looking for real stories about people fighting gators with knives, blades, axes, etc.
Do you think it's possible? Any stories?

gator.jpg

Erm, I'm pretty sure the only successful use of bladed weapons against vicious animals with lots of sharp teeth would be the spear. Mostly because getting any closer is suicide.

Growing up in the florida swamps and knowing a whole lot about gators. No thanks. I know some boys who are licensed by the state to hunt gators, but even they don't try with a knife.

Gators are very unpredictable, smart, and lightning fast. They will outrun you in a short distance easily. They can manuveur faster than you can. I avoid them when I'm in the swamp. If I spot one I go way around. I've had enough close encounters to know going after a gator with a knife is a bad idea, unless one wants to lose sooner or later. Plus they are stil protected down here ,so..............

In Discovery's "Dual Survival", Dave Canterbury demonstrates killing a small alligator with a knife and staff :http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/dual-survival-gator-takedown.html

Dave does mention that he is experienced with reptiles, doesn't really recommend this to amateurs, the filmed kill was in a "controlled" environment for the purposes of a television demonstration (I am not aware of the extent of that control, however, e.g. whether a sedative or other means of restraint was used or where the animal was actually acquired for the shot), and his partner on the show, Cody Lundin, was still upset about the whole matter.

I do believe that pic is a croc, more to the point- I would want an axe at the least, spear is better. You would want something that could remove a leg and penetrate the very tough skull. I would not want to get within arms distance trying to kill a sizeable gator or croc with a knife.

OP did use the word "fighting"- meaning non intentional confrontation? Whatever you have and best of luck to you. When they bite and hold, they shut their eyes down and it is very hard to get at them. They have a reptile nervous system which means they do not react much to pain and they die slow.

Bill

Wow... Really impressive info, advices and links, everybody. Thanks a lot! A don't worry: I won't try. :D

Growing up in the florida swamps and knowing a whole lot about gators. No thanks. I know some boys who are licensed by the state to hunt gators, but even they don't try with a knife.

Gators are very unpredictable, smart, and lightning fast. They will outrun you in a short distance easily. They can manuveur faster than you can. I avoid them when I'm in the swamp. If I spot one I go way around. I've had enough close encounters to know going after a gator with a knife is a bad idea, unless one wants to lose sooner or later. Plus they are stil protected down here ,so..............
what do you mean by protected, looked on the state web page and it said they've had a season since 1988? this year a guy killed one over 14 feet long, a new state record. don't sound to protected.
as far as hunting them with a knife, go for it. get somebody to film it, i'd watch that on youtube.

what do you mean by protected, looked on the state web page and it said they've had a season since 1988? this year a guy killed one over 14 feet long, a new state record. don't sound to protected.
as far as hunting them with a knife, go for it. get somebody to film it, i'd watch that on youtube.

Right now they are, season just ended. Maybe its still open in ohio though?;) Protected as in you cannot just find one and take it down with a knife. There is a hunting season, just ended in nov, but its two per person who get a license and its a lottery of sorts to get one. Not just anyone can pay their money and get one who wants one. Gators are regulated by the state fish and game. Its bad news to get caught hunting, or killing one witout a nuisance permit or hunting license. In other words and with better terminology they are not considered by the state as varmints or nuisance animals, or invasive or other classification to allow harvesting without going through the red tape. I think their official classification is "threatened", not that they actually are, but more so the state can regulate the population easier.

I've hunted a couple myself when I was younger and braver. Not much fun, imho. They are strong animals.....stealthy, and lightning fast. Their biggest skill beside supreme speed in short distances and immense strength is the element of surprise. Its real easy to be walking on the bank and about when you put your foot a few feet from it partly submerged in the murky water.....you realize as it spins off and into the water and away from you..had it decided to get you it would have.

Great, come on down. Id love to see you take down a gator with a knife..send me a link to the video. I highly suggest not trying it, but what do I know...I only grew up with alligators.

Originally Posted by heresthedeal

Right now they are, season just ended. Maybe its still open in ohio though?;) Protected as in you cannot just find one and take it down with a knife. There is a hunting season, just ended in nov, but its two per person who get a license and its a lottery of sorts to get one. Not just anyone can pay their money and get one who wants one. Gators are regulated by the state fish and game. Its bad news to get caught hunting, or killing one witout a nuisance permit or hunting license. In other words and with better terminology they are not considered by the state as varmints or nuisance animals, or invasive or other classification to allow harvesting without going through the red tape. I think their official classification is "threatened", not that they actually are, but more so the state can regulate the population easier.

I've hunted a couple myself when I was younger and braver. Not much fun, imho. They are strong animals.....stealthy, and lightning fast. Their biggest skill beside supreme speed in short distances and immense strength is the element of surprise. Its real easy to be walking on the bank and about when you put your foot a few feet from it partly submerged in the murky water.....you realize as it spins off and into the water and away from you..had it decided to get you it would have.

Great, come on down. Id love to see you take down a gator with a knife..send me a link to the video. I highly suggest not trying it, but what do I know...I only grew up with alligators.

so there is a hunting season, doesn't seem like they much care how you hunt them. from what I read a harpoon or crossbow with a harpoon or fishing arrow seems to be what they use.
i put in bold, underlined and italics what i wrote.I
didn't say I would want to come down and hunt alligators with a knife but if the person that started this thread was to try it and video it I would be willing to watch it.
you are right we don't have alligators in Ohio;), but if you ever want to shoot a deer bigger than a German shepherd come on up, though not protected all you would have to do is buy a tag and out of state license;).
enjoy the warm weather.

Originally Posted by heresthedeal

so there is a hunting season, doesn't seem like they much care how you hunt them. from what I read a harpoon or crossbow with a harpoon or fishing arrow seems to be what they use.
i put in bold, underlined and italics what i wrote.I
didn't say I would want to come down and hunt alligators with a knife but if the person that started this thread was to try it and video it I would be willing to watch it.
you are right we don't have alligators in Ohio;), but if you ever want to shoot a deer bigger than a German shepherd come on up, though not protected all you would have to do is buy a tag and out of state license;).
enjoy the warm weather.

True. I got a buddy lives here from texas. He calls florida deer "goats". I got some family up in western pa, I used to hunt real deer up there with my grandpa. Better said grandpa would hunt and I would tag along. I was never any good at it. Big to bigger game hunting I shy away from.

Back to the main topic. I am terrible using proper words in their proper place. "Protected" was not the correct terminology to use. My mistake and my apologies......don't want to forget my manners.

Also I was just goofin around. I got that you just wanted to watch the video of a fellow trying to take down a gator with a knife, not so much yourself doing the deed.

Ill be honest, it sure would be hard to get a jump on a gator with a knife. I've seen guys do it more in the form of wrestling and removal, but only after using a snatch hook or snares and getting them out of the water. What I wouldn't want to do is be in the water with my knife as my only tool. That to me would be a fools mission. I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there who would be willing to try it, but I've been around enough to know how dangerous they are.

Chuck Carney hunts gators with a knife. Unfortunately, he's had computer problems & isn't online much nowadays.

Chuck Carney hunts gators with a knife. Unfortunately, he's had computer problems & isn't online much nowadays.

He is a man to be looked up to and admired. Id love to hear some of his hunting stories.

Back