1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Blems and bargain for 7/15

Discussion in 'Himalayan Imports' started by Yangdu, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Yangdu

Yangdu [email protected] Himalayan Imports-Owner Moderator

Apr 5, 2005
    L to r

19 inch 24 ounce Ang Khola by Ram Kumar. Satisal wood handle. Leather sheath. Reno dry weather cause huge crack on handle. New handle project at $65. *SOLD*

22 inch 26 ounce Chainpure by Anil. Very slight shrinkage on satisal wood handle. Leather sheath. Bonus buy at $85. *SOLD*

18 inch 26 ounce officer model by Ram Kumar. Slight shrinkage of satisal wood handle. Leather sheath. $75 YBB.

[​IMG]

Email to [email protected] to order any or all
    First come first served

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    Kailash Blades likes this.
  2. davidf99

davidf99 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 27, 2011
    EMS for 22 inch 26 ounce Chainpure by Anil. Got it!

I like that this one has a decent amount of "heft" and a full-sized handle, even though it's a fairly slim blade. The deep, wide fuller makes it look somewhat like a Gelbu Special.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    George Azar and Hawgsnawt like this.
  3. Hawgsnawt

Hawgsnawt

Aug 16, 2015
    Great looking blade David, I like that one a lot! Grats!!!

4. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Looks more like a GS dont it? Grats David. Nice weight too. Officer Model looks kinda like a Curved Spine? I like it!

5. davidf99

Sep 27, 2011
    With that handle, pommel and Sword of Shiva, it looks most like a single-fuller Chitlangi. However, the fuller is wider, like a Gelbu Special. The blade profile is thinner and pointier than any of those models, more like a Chainpuri or Kumar Kobra. So it's really a hybrid, a nice combination of features.

And let me not forget to mention the $85 price, which is a true bargain. Prices like these are what allows me and others to assemble a collection, though I occasionally go for one of the pricier blades.

6. davidf99

Sep 27, 2011
    Comparison of today's blade with three others. All four are 21-22 inches overall length and identical 26 oz.

In my opinion, the Gelbu Special is closest to today's listing, but all four have various differences in butt plate, handle, fuller and Sword of Shiva.

Today's blade, posted as a Chainpuri.

upload_2019-7-15_18-37-50.png

Chainpuri with fancy carved handle.

upload_2019-7-15_18-38-8.png

Gelbu Special.

upload_2019-7-15_18-38-54.png

Single-fuller Chitlangi.

upload_2019-7-15_18-42-52.png

Hawgsnawt likes this.
  7. George Azar

George Azar Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2017
    1D27B778-C590-4527-944E-33007849BD5E.jpeg Great comparisons David! It also reminds me of my Purna 21” chainpuri. However this has a double fuller.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  8. Hawgsnawt

Hawgsnawt

Aug 16, 2015
    well whatever it is/was.... its nice lol

I like that one alot

9. davidf99

Sep 27, 2011
    George:

That's a Chitlangi or I'll eat my hat. Well, I don't actually wear a hat, but if I did I'd eat it.

The most distinctive feature of the Chainpuri model is that it has no buttcap, only a keeper with the peened-over tang. Like this one by Sher Kami:

upload_2019-7-15_22-53-12.png

However, lately Yangdu seems to be using the names Chitlangi and Chainpuri almost interchangeably, and the kamis, who are creative artisans, often combine features of several models into one blade, maybe just based on where the hot steel wants to go when they hammer it.

EricTheRedBeard likes this.
  10. George Azar

George Azar Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2017
    That’s what I thought also David. Auntie advertised it as Chainpuri but when I received it, my comparison was your conclusion as well! Thanks for the confirmation.

11. EricTheRedBeard

EricTheRedBeard Basic Member Basic Member

May 17, 2018
    Hard to believe that Officer Model is still there.

12. knifestuff

knifestuff Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2006
    EMS for 18 inch 26 ounce officer model by Ram Kumar.

13. ndoghouse

ndoghouse Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Yep! I second Davids opinion. Chitlangi has an extra fuller unless its a single fuller of course. The single fuller has a really wide edge tho and is easily distinguishable. The Gelbu sometimes looks like a Sirupati depending on how deep it is fullered but Gelbu typically has a thicker AK edge

EricTheRedBeard and George Azar like this.