Blems and bargain for 7/2

Yangdu

Himalayan Imports Owner ~ himimp@aol.com
Beautifully done 25 inch 42 ounce Kumar Kobra by Kumar. Satisal wood handle. Leather sheath. The wooden handle took hit during shipment transit between Nepal and Reno chipped the wood handle near buttcap. I will send the matching wood along with knife and all you have to do it grind the wood mix with epoxy fill the chipped then let it dry for couple of hours. Smooth the area with fine sandpaper and you will have a near perfect rig! My lost your gain at $199. *SOLD*

uLo2fjV.jpg

Pn6VRYi.jpg

17.5 inch 23 ounce Burs Hanshee by Ram Kumar. Bayar wood handle. 5 cents worth of epoxy fix crack on handle and couple of minutes rust removal time on blade tip. $85. *SOLD*

4oWbfgJ.jpg

1UOy283.jpg

7 1/4 2 ounce letter opener from Dharan. Horn handle. Small crack on blade. $12.

ad1kczF.jpg

Email to himimp@aol.com to order any or all
First come first served

Last edited:
Well done david, nice grab. No thought needed on that one, that's a beauty.

Kumar Kobra's are simply awesome blades and i would venture to say that if you dont have one, even if your collection is small and utilitarian, is not complete. They are comparatively Light to other kukris with the same blade length and are VERY fast. They are not heavy duty per say but that doesnt mean they cant be used for light to medium duty chores. I never would have bought one but i bought a batch of "bargins" and a 18 inch one was included. After playing with my new acquisitions this was the one i couldnt put down.

I was minutes away from sharking! Well played, David! A hanshee is a must-cop! I sold one to a friend years ago that I regret. 16 inches and something crazy like 18 oz. So fast, so nice... so gone

Got the Done Deal on the Hanshee. :)

The blade was posted as a "Burs Hanshee by Ram Kumar." I suspected that that was a typo, should have been "Bura Hanshee by Ram Kumar." Checked with Yangdu. It is a "Bura Hanshee" model.

Last edited:
Really handsome wood on that hanshee. Perhaps other offerings will appear with that tiger stripe pattern?

Got the Done Deal on the Hanshee. :)

The blade was posted as a "Burs Hanshee by Ram Kumar." I suspected that that was a typo, should have been "Bura Hanshee by Ram Kumar." Checked with Yangdu. It is a "Bura Hanshee" model.
Nice grab David

EMS on the Kobra if its not already been grabbed and not mentioned! here's to hoping!!
Good luck HS! I hope you get it. It looks pretty sweet. Even though they say Kobras are not heavy duty that 42oz'r is going to be pretty stout. I imagine it has a pretty thick spine. Let us know what you think when you get it.

Ohhhhh got the DD on the Kobra!!! ............yay! I've been after one of those for years! cant believe it made it more than a couple hours without a taker!

I'll take pics and all once I get her....I'm interested in seeing how thick that spine is as well..... 42oz is a little on the heavy side for what I've seen of these over the years.... even based on the HI official sight it says top end should be about 32ish.... ( I'm excited! )

" This great overall length 25 inch khukuri was rated the best all round khukuri in the world by British knife expert and author, Tom Holt. It will come in between 1.5 and 2 pounds depending on the kami who made it. Sometimes horn handle, sometimes wood. Great khukuri and very fast and easy to handle for a blade that size. " ( from HI official web sight )

Ahh! David! I do have some experience on a Hanshee like you just got! Please have some serious stress relief :) and enjoy it! They are magical!!!

Kobra showed up today, have not even had the chance yet to open the box but just by way of update..... i'll try and get some spine shots up in the next day or two!

Kobra showed up today, have not even had the chance yet to open the box but just by way of update..... i'll try and get some spine shots up in the next day or two!
I'm very curious how it swings too. I bet you can crack it like a whip.

well, I didn't find the wood in the box to fix the ding, not an issue however, after looking at it, I think I'm going to file down the protruding 1/8th of an inch of the metal buttcap and round out that front point and that should fix the issue like it was never an issue.....

that spine though...... dear sweet baby Jesus..... not sure what I'd call this thing, but its a Kobra in name only.... its not the thin light fast whipish action blade I'd thought it would be.... and its certainly not delicate or fragile....

That spine is every bit as thick as it is on my other 6 HI Kuks.... probably a full half inch, maybe closer to 5/8ths.... its nuts! its a 25 inch, narrow bladed WWII or M48 or .....I don't know, but from everything I've ever seen, its not a Kobra..... but..... I mean that in the very best way possible....

I'd have no issues going full on axe mode with it and taking down 8 to 10 inch trees..... GOTTA get pics uploaded.... this thing is a MONSTER.

Magnum Kobra? .......I dunno..... but I love it! HAHAHAHHA! ( insane laugh )

I'm not surprised that your Kobra has a thick spine. I've experienced the same thing with extra long blades. Also, the 42 oz weight implies a thick blade. The kamis usually preserve the proportions on a given model, so extra long also means extra thick. It's not just for appearances. A long blade needs to be either thicker or wider for stability, and for the Kobra model extra width is not an option.

The Bura Hanshee came with a long hairline crack that I filled with epoxy. Since I had to sand down the epoxy anyway, I decided to refinish the handle. First I leveled off the excess epoxy with a fine file. Then I did the whole handle with sandpaper: 100 grit, 180 grit, 360 grit. Finally I rubbed in three coats of lathe polish, which produces a very nice finish and dries almost instantly. The whole process took about an hour, most of which I did while watching Wimbledon tennis, "round of sixteen."

The original clear finish seemed a bit crude (more so than most HI wood handles), but it sanded off easily. I suspected that the tiger stripes in the original handle were not part of the wood, but had been added with some kind of stain, and this proved to be the case. Most of the dark stain sanded right off, and the resulting color is quite nice, in my opinion. Here is a picture of the original, followed by three pictures of my refinished handle.

Original-BayarWood.jpg P7090001.JPG P7090002.JPG P7090003.JPG
\

Nice work David. I was kinda wondering about that being added too. I though it looked burned in tho. That was a nice deal there!

Back