Blind 32 year old conquers Everest,

Rusty

( Reuters ) as 64 year old pushes back record for eldest climber from previous 63 year old.

http://news.lycos.com/news/story.asp?section=LycosBreaking&storyld=44105

Cross your fingers that this'll work.

[This message has been edited by Rusty (edited 05-25-2001).]

It still doesn't work, but the page it takes you to has a clickable link in the lefthand column that takes you to the story.

------------------
"Let us consider that we are all partially insane. It will explain us to each other." Mark Twain

joker.gif

This has been a busy week on the old mountain - They also have a new "youngest climber":

http://www.nepalnews.com/

Just scroll down through the items - may already be on the "second page" by now.

People that try this stuff are very brave!! I don't even like to climb an extention ladder!! My hat is off to them!

------------------
Chris B.

Yes, I read about the youngest climber yesterday. 16 years old and it was his second attempt. On his first try he got within 70 feet and ended up losing three fingers to frostbite the article said. Another record goes to another outstanding person from Nepal. <Cheers and Applause>
smile.gif

They just had a speaker in Rapid City who made an ascent in 96. He got within 350 feet of the top and got caught in a storm. Eight climbers died, and he went into hypothermic coma.

His climbing party left him for dead. He came out of his coma and made it down a ways before going into another. He spent another night on the mountain in the second coma, then came out of it and made it back down to the 20,000 ft camp.

He ended up losing his right forearm, half of his right hand, most of his left hand, nose and a few more parts due to frostbite. They did get him put back together (as much as possible).

He said the whole experience changed his life from being a self-centered, driven business person/athelete/type A person, to being a devoted family man. He now focuses on what is important--his family.

Alan

Some make it against all odds and others don't make it with odds in their favor. It is all up to karma.

Reminds me of the Garfield poster where he's looking up at Odie in a tree and remarks " It's amazing what you can do if no one tells you you can't do it." Or something along those lines.

Back