Blood blued my Project.

My trusty Project II is well in the white at its point end after so many years good use.

The other day I went out fishing with two young lads. I left the knife with the two boys to gutt the remainder of the dozen or so large trout. The following day I went back to pick up the Project and, boys being boys, they hadn't wiped down blade properly after finishing. In a hot utility room with large globs of fish blood the white of the blade was blued! Sadley only where the blood globs were.

The "bluing" isn't bad to look at and matches the Kalguard grey quite well (no effect to the Kalguard coated sections). Sorry I haven't refined the process further, but just thought the findings were worth posting. I shouldn't think this mistaken finish would last long, time will tell, but for those who don't like scuffs this might be a DIY answer for the short term. (For those tactically minded, it beats paint).

Does anyone else blue their blades?

I've blued a Carbon V twistmaster by using it to cut fruit. It developed a widespread patina pretty quickly, which only gets darker with continued use.

Back