Blue Agate Hill Jasper

In early November I went on a trip to Gerlach Nevada, to go hunt for the source of some brightly colored Jasper that I had found a lot of "chips" of in the trip to Nevada in late July - early August.

I never found a specific source for the Jasper pieces but I did find quite a few pieces large enough for use on Buck 110's and a lot more big enough for smaller knives. I did figure out that the Jasper appears to be only in a band of probably less than 100 feet by elevation over a range of about a mile. So, I am thinking they form as nodules. They are always in the same area as the "blue" agates that the hill is know for. I was not looking for the bleu agates but did pick up a few as they are all too small for use on knives with most being .5 inch across or smaller.

So, here are a few pictures of the bright Jaspers and a couple of a "blue" Agate I found. I did find two pieces of the jasper that look pretty similar to rooster tail agate out of Mexico and some that has a blue veining that makes the stone look like Dinosaur bone. So far none of the blue veined pieces have had sections big enough for knives.

I have cut the pieces I think were the best and figure I should get at least 10 Buck 110's so I should at least break even on the cost for the trip. I have 3 full five gallon buckets left to go through but most of the pieces will be too small for Buck 110's.

Attachments

• DSCF4216.jpg
    DSCF4216.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF4217.jpg
    DSCF4217.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF4218.jpg
    DSCF4218.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF4221.jpg
    DSCF4221.jpg