Blue Circle Umfaan=just right

Hi-

It's been a while since I posted to this forum, but it's good to be back!

I have always been a fan of the Sebenza, and have owned both a small and a large. Although for whatever reason, I sold them both over a year ago. Duh...

Recently, I have been paring my collection down in favor of more practically sized folders. For the kinds of things I personally need a knife to do, even 3" of blade is almost too much. Not to mention the glares from the non-knife friendly at work. Sure, I'll still keep a couple of my oversized "boy scout knives"- but I've been after something a bit more usable. And also something I could really keep, like heirloom quality.

So I figured a William Henry might be nice- attractive, good quality, functional, and would garner compliments rather than sarcasm. I ordered up a Kestrel in mother of pearl, and I will say it was a gorgeous knife. Way too small, though, even smaller than I had figured. Plus, there was a large chip in the pearl scales near a screw, and the lock could be overcome by tapping swiftly on the back of the blade. Disappointed, I returned the knife.

Still intent on getting something small and attractive- I came across this blue circle Umfaan at KnifeArt. I did as much research on it as I could and went ahead with the order. I received it today, and wow, what can I say- it's just right. Exactly what I was after. I really like the size- it's not as small as I feared. The blade is nice and wide, and the handle is long enough to give at least three of my fingers a decent grip. The polished front slab looks great, and the bright blue anodized circles are very much eye candy. Of course, it's shAAAARRPP.

I'll get used to the smallish thumb studs, but overall this is an ultra smooth little knife. Feels like a mini fixed blade when it's locked up. I'm very pleased with it, even though I had to part with some of my other knives to afford it. This one is a keeper- I promise.

Sorry 'bout the length- just wanted to share, and to thank Chris for making an (for me at least) ideally sized pocket knife. It's always fun to get a knife you are so pleased with, it actually makes you smile.

clip

Nice new purchase.
I'll agree with you, the Umfaan is a very nice size, and solid. I carry mine always,no matter what else I carry.
Agree with you about the thumb studs, but in my opinion anything larger would ruin the porpotions of a beautiful knife.
Enjoy
smile.gif

clip point, I'm glad you posted this. I have a small and large Sebenza and have just ordered a Left Handed Umfaan without ever handling one because of how much I like the Sebenzas, but was a little concerned about the size.
You and ThomM have made me feel better. I use the clip on my small and large, but wanted a true pocket knife.

------------------
RICK - Left Handers Unite

Back