Blue Jeans and Mnandi inlay

justsomedude

Gold Member
I saw a thread mentioning that some blue jean dye seeped into an ivory inlay on an Mnandi and it had to be sanded away.

I have a box elder inlay Mnandi and am wondering if anybody has experience carrying one unprotected in a pair of blue jeans?

I know the dye leaks onto plain Ti scales pretty easily and am worried about ruining the beautiful red and gold tones of my inlay carrying it unprotected.

Have any of you had blue jean dye come off on a wood inlay before? Were you able to clean it off with windex or another solvent?

Do any of you carry one in blue jeans regularly but have never had this problem? Have you had dye come off on other knives from the same pair of jeans?

I'm hesitant to use a wax protectant, can anyone assuage my fears?

Thanks!

I'm hesitant to use a wax protectant, can anyone assuage my fears?

Thanks!

Why hesitant? I use Renaissance Wax on all of my natural handle material. Protects, seals, shines, and cuts down on finger prints to a degree. I even use it on some anodized titanium handles and find that does not alter the colors at all. For me, there has been no down side to using Ren Wax on my knives.

I just have never used it before. But I just ordered some and will give it a try!
Thanks!

I have carried BE mnandi without a problem in the watch pocket of jeans, and without renn wax. The difference is that ivory and mammoth bark are very porous, ivory is famous for soaking up dirt, oils, or color and being very sensitive to humidity. The woods CR uses are either polished or treated in some way as they seem impervious to those things. And they are naturally denser than ivory. At least that is my experience. But renewal can't hurt. I even use it on damascus blades!!!

I just have never used it before. But I just ordered some and will give it a try! Thanks d.r.h

I've noticed you and I have very similar tastes speaker, I definitely trust your advice. It's counterintuitive to me that ivory would be more porous and less dense than wood, that's quite interesting. Thanks!

I've noticed you and I have very similar tastes speaker, I definitely trust your advice. It's counterintuitive to me that ivory would be more porous and less dense than wood, that's quite interesting. Thanks!

Just my guess here, but if the wood is stabilized, resin will fill the pores. I am unaware of either elephant or mammoth ivory being treated with resin to stabilize them.

I spoke with crk today re the ivory and she told me they use Ren wax and that was what they recommended to seal it and keep it looking good.

I spoke with crk today re the ivory and she told me they use Ren wax and that was what they recommended to seal it and keep it looking good.

Back